FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stick welding aluminum

Stick welding aluminum

Anybody stick weld aluminum? What things should I be looking for in terms of equipment to be able to do this? Any deal breakers where stick welding would simply not work well? I won't be able to afford MIG or TIG setups - just want to ensure my expectations are set correctly and if I get a stick welder, to ensure I know what it can and cannot do up front before I purchase. Thanks!
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

I did some stick AL about 25 years ago. So I am sure that things have changed.
    keith
    The older the Boys, the more expensive the TOYS
    Previously Owned equipment;
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    2 Longevity autodarking helmets
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

Quote Originally Posted by KHK View Post
    I did some stick AL about 25 years ago. So I am sure that things have changed.
    That must have been AC stick, right? I'm looking at the small inverter welders. They run DC. I see rods being sold for DC stick but I don't see a lot of material on how well it works and what the limitations are. Appears there are a lot of people who are familiar with one but not the other so the information gets mixed up and occasionally the dreaded "flame wars".

I tried it with my Stickweld 250 and a old transformer machine, much easier with the stickweld inverter. You gotta move fast and the slag is a pain to remove, i prefer spoolgun or tig.
    Longevity Stickweld 250
    Miller bluestar 2e
    Lincoln 140 mig
    Lincoln magnum spoolgun
    Firepower 130 mig
    Montgomery Wards 235 ac/dc
    Miller hf-251-1 Hi freq

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    That must have been AC stick, right? I'm looking at the small inverter welders. They run DC. I see rods being sold for DC stick but I don't see a lot of material on how well it works and what the limitations are. Appears there are a lot of people who are familiar with one but not the other so the information gets mixed up and occasionally the dreaded "flame wars".
    I don't remember, could have been either AC or DC.
    keith
    The older the Boys, the more expensive the TOYS
    Previously Owned equipment;
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    2 Longevity autodarking helmets
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

I always thought you needed ac to weld aluminum but apparently DC mig is very doable with a spool gun can anyone confirm this? I'm looking to get a spool gun setup for my Lincoln Idealarc DC250 but I don't want to spend that $1000 it'll cost me to add a spool gun to my welder if there are major drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    I tried it with my Stickweld 250 and a old transformer machine, much easier with the stickweld inverter. You gotta move fast and the slag is a pain to remove, i prefer spoolgun or tig.
    Thanks for responding, Hog. So I guess it is doable - just need to see if I can find more information on what the limits are for thickness of metal and whether the welds are strong or not, etc. Not a whole lot of information on this style of aluminum welding as I guess if anyone is seriously doing it, they are doing in other ways.

You'll be limited on how thin you can go by the size of the welding rod. Thin stuff is probably out of the question with a stick rod. The work will melt before the rod does.
    Lincoln Idealarc DC250 with LN7 wire feeder
    RSG250 spool gun and controller
    Bridgeport Milling Machine w/DRO and Powerfeed
    South Bend 9 lathe WW2 vintage
    Devilbiss 6.5hp 80gal 175psi 2 stage compressor
    HF blast Cabinet modified for foot pedal operation better gun.
    Oxy acetylene torches
    Delta 4x6 band saw
    Hand and power tools up the wazoo...for mechanic work, wood work, electrical plumbing, and metal work.

1/16 is it for me, up to 3/16 dc stick or spoolgun on my lincoln 140 mig

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

make that 3/32
    Longevity Stickweld 250
    Miller bluestar 2e
    Lincoln 140 mig
    Lincoln magnum spoolgun
    Firepower 130 mig
    Montgomery Wards 235 ac/dc
    Miller hf-251-1 Hi freq

All I know about it is that 35ish years ago, there were aluminum stick rods that had to be kept in a fridge. Kind of the reverse of 7018.
    Stickweld 250
    cocona O/A torch
    smith AW1
    CH 3hp compressor
    Lincoln tombstone

Next tool: arcmate 160d