FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wire Knot Wheel on a 4.5" Grinder...

encapsulated wire brush has a medium poured between the wires looks like as but is plastic
    1 Longevity LS 200PI & Stand
    Thermal Arc 190 Mig w Chasiss
    3 Victor Pro O/A Torches, Journeyman Torches
    Blue Point Stud Welder
    12" x 6 Power Hacksaw
    6x1/2,8x3/4, Bench Grinders on Stands
    1" Belt Grinder on Stand
    13 Grinders Makita & Bluepoint
    Snap On Tools & 65 Anniversary Box

Quote Originally Posted by tigqk View Post
    encapsulated wire brush has a medium poured between the wires looks like as but is plastic
    we just sent a bunch of those back to vendor cause they containment the weld area
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/
    Bunch of tools of the trade to much to list
    http://instagram.com/weldor_wes/

I found some stainless steel wire cupp brushes on ebay that fit my 4" grinder with 5/8" shaft. They were fairly reasonable, under $10 each. It makes quick work of cleaning aluminum for welding. I was having a heck of a vtime finding them locally.
    Lincoln Idealarc DC250 with LN7 wire feeder
    RSG250 spool gun and controller
    Bridgeport Milling Machine w/DRO and Powerfeed
    South Bend 9 lathe WW2 vintage
    Devilbiss 6.5hp 80gal 175psi 2 stage compressor
    HF blast Cabinet modified for foot pedal operation better gun.
    Oxy acetylene torches
    Delta 4x6 band saw
    Hand and power tools up the wazoo...for mechanic work, wood work, electrical plumbing, and metal work.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalky View Post
    I found some stainless steel wire cupp brushes on ebay that fit my 4" grinder with 5/8" shaft. They were fairly reasonable, under $10 each. It makes quick work of cleaning aluminum for welding. I was having a heck of a vtime finding them locally.
    using that all your doing is smearing the oxide layer into the aluminum not really removing it
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/

Sorry for being such a noob but what is the recommended way of removing the oxide layer (and other gunk) from aluminum. Gosh, my shopping list is growing by the minute ....
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    Sorry for being such a noob but what is the recommended way of removing the oxide layer (and other gunk) from aluminum. Gosh, my shopping list is growing by the minute ....
    stainless wire brush by hand
    or Nitric acid with hydrofloric acid but most stay away from the acids cause there dangerous but i use them all the time but also have the proper training to handle them
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/

Quote Originally Posted by WookieWelding View Post
    stainless wire brush by hand or Nitric acid with hydrofloric acid but most stay away from the acids cause there dangerous but i use them all the time but also have the proper training to handle them
    I'll need to keep my eye out for sales on stainless wire brushes. Thanks for the tip. I'll pass on the acids ....

I found out why you shouldn't wear shorts while using a crimped wire wheel on the grinder...I looked like a pin cushion!
    I'll try a crimped one next time.
    Scott
    Lincoln 135
    HTP 221 DV

Quote Originally Posted by BucketObolts View Post
    I found out why you shouldn't wear shorts while using a crimped wire wheel on the grinder...I looked like a pin cushion! I'll try a crimped one next time.
    I was doing some grinding while wearing shorts quite a while back. Was a bit careless and .... was lucky I didn't sever anything important. Needed stitches though. From that point forward, no shorts while working with power tools. Heck, I try to ensure I wear pants and my steel toe boots when mowing the lawn now ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    AND YES, I had a couple of them wires sling loose and one of them happened to catch me in the groin area...
    Just think, if you weren't wearing protective gear, you could have been all fashionable with a piercing.

At that point, why bother with the ER, just hit the tattoo shop.

"Hey guys, the hole's already made... Have anything that won't rust?"

(Still glad you're ok though.)
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.