FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wire Knot Wheel on a 4.5" Grinder...

This thread makes me cringe .... wires being flung and catching groin areas .... YIKES!

Found a stainless steel brush for a reasonable price at Lowes. Had to get it shipped to the store. The local store only carried their own brand brush and it was more expensive.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Quote Originally Posted by BucketObolts View Post
    I found out why you shouldn't wear shorts while using a crimped wire wheel on the grinder...I looked like a pin cushion!
    I'll try a crimped one next time.
    I tend to wear issue bdu's when doing anything that involves power tools, poison ivy, or fiberglass. They really do a nice job of dealing with abrasion / penetration, while being ridiculously easy to clean with bleach. (Your choice on color safe) 5 gallon bucket w/ bleach, mixed with a mop handle... Rinse, then re-rinse with anti-ivy added lightly. Hang them outside, lay them on the driveway, or close them into the tailgate of your truck lightly. Truly "man laundry"... lol

3+ miles a day in steel toes through poison ivy flagging routes for a drilling rig (And then drilling) , left me with a pretty much constant poison ivy problem creeping up the inside thigh. It was obviously important to me to arrest the situation...

Just realized I sound like Gadget with his marathon shenanigans. (Or at least as close as I'll ever get )

If you've got access to a speed controlled grinder, it helps.
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If you've got access to a speed controlled grinder, it helps.
    Thanks for reminding me, a speed controller is something I should be keeping my eye out for! Forgot about it until you mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    Thanks for reminding me, a speed controller is something I should be keeping my eye out for! Forgot about it until you mentioned it.
    More or less just a band aid for keeping accessories under their max rpm, but a nice feature to help lessen thrown wires / glazed sandpaper...
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.

How slow can you operate, say, an angle grinder?? There are times I figure I might want to clean something up with a wire wheel but revving slowly.

As slowly as you're capable of holding it steady, and operating the tool slowly. I can imagine it trying to torque pretty badly in the wrong situation if it catches.

Wire wheels are for spinning Otherwise grab some sandpaper, a scotchbrite pad, or some steel wool.

Good points. Don't want to spin too slowly, just don't want the wheel going full tilt in some situations.