FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BBQ thread. A place for all BBQ recipies, builds, and discussion

Yeah. Some days it feels like you are the doormat. Sorry you had a bummer day. Hey, each day is a new day and a chance to see the world in a different and better light. Chin up, Nick.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

I have two Primo XLs ceramic cookers in my Pavilion
    but went to my guy for a real good deal on top of the line gas built in
    deal was set had my grill, all I had to do was load, ( yeh right)
    he said, I know what you cook and for how many, so I can't let you leave with out looking at a Primo
    of course I said what the H is that, he said lump charcoal.
    I said NO WAY, well after two weeks of internet searching I called him up and orderd two Oval XLs
    and since Then, I will never go back to ANYTHING ELSE.
    all meat melts in your mouth, week end before last I did baked macaroni with 3 cheese, Hot dogs (usually never on list, but best I ever had), asparaguas loose, and asparagues Xs 3 wrap
    in a slice of bacon all marinated in Itialain dressing done on the grill on a Hemilain Salt block (WOW) and a pineapple upside down cake for desert. all at one time on the grill.
    everyone just couldn't get over it, past week end I did thick steak, with pepper and onions, and desert use home made sticky buns, at once
    Monday was Hot/Mild suasage, peppers and onions, backed potatoes (Awesome) home made bread all at once
    really can't bet it, like I said, will never cook on anything else. I could go on but that is on another forum,and this got boaring enough for you guys I'm shure
    Longevity ForceCut 42i
    Longevity 205p Mig W/spool gun
    HTP 201 Tig
    HTP 2400 Mig
    and more tools then my Wife wished I had

STOP IT!!! I'm drooling on my laptop.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by overdone never finished View Post
    since Then, I will never go back to ANYTHING ELSE.
    I'm familiar with the big well insulated ceramics like those. The primos / big green eggs. Very nice units if you've got the spare depth in the wallet / one falls quite gingerly off the back of a truck.
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.

Still using ol skool stick burning to cook with. Can't beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    Still using ol skool stick burning to cook with. Can't beat it.
    Been doing a fair bit of that recently as well. There were some rather well set up fellows down by the lake speaking spanish with a nice bed of coals going when I hooked into a catfish. Needless to say, lunch was on me. They went from disinterested to handing me a beer and smiling rather quickly when they saw me clean the channel and ask if I could cook on their fire to share. ^_^

Skin on, back down, roasted in the coals. Not a bad day for having no plans, lol.
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.

Has anyone here made a traeger type grill? Would be very interested in viewing such a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm familiar with the big well insulated ceramics like those. The Primos / big green eggs. Very nice units if you've got the spare depth in the wallet / one falls quite gingerly off the back of a truck.
    Lol I know this is old but I couldn't resist. I have great respect for the BGE and Primos. But I have to admit I LOVE my smoker. This thing rocks! It will hold rock steady temps for 22+ hours and is so dang fuel efficient. Plus it is cheap to make!

Due to the $$ of the ceramic grills I built my smoker. It's called a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker). Actually this was my first welding project ever! Made out of a 55gal drum. I used a half sheet of 3/4" 9 ga expanded metal for the fire basket. ~ 20 diameter x 16" tall. with some pieces of scrap to lift it 2" off the drum floor.
    I modified the design to fit a hinged grill lid from an old Uniflame 22" kettle grill. The grill dome wasn't a good fit so I welded the grill dome to the drum lid. Then I cut out the center of the drum lit to open up the dome. This gave me a nice tight fit. The dome lid allowed me to put 2 cooking grates in my smoker. I have successfully loaded 5 of the family packs of chicken thighs from Safeway onto the two grates!!!! That's a lot of chicken...

I added a few accessories to make the grilling process easier. To control my temps I use a Pitmaster IQ110 PID controller (available from amazon, but you should look at the new IQ120). In addition to that I like to be able to keep an eye on my temps while I am in the house drinking a beer or prepping food so I also have a Maverick ET-733 Remote temp sensor. I ran the temp cables in to the smoker using a UHF watertight fitting form Home Depot (in the electrical section near the conduit fittings).

My fire basket holds almost a full 20lb bag of charcoal and will burn in excess of 22 hours. You I have done it. My first run was a brisket for 15 hours, another 5.5 hours for a butt and the rest was a massive feast of chicken. I have also smoked turkey, goose, ducks, Cornish hens, butts, shoulders, ribs, "BBQ fatties" (look it up), atomic buffalo turds (OH SO GOOD!!). Check out the BBQ Brethren forum. They are a good bunch of guys who just love BBQ. Many also compete. I don't have many pics on my phone right now but I will upload a few more later of my build. It was very cheap. Even with all the accessories I think it was about $200.
    On to the pics!!
    Name:  Smoker primed.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  127.2 KB
    Name:  Smoker blue.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  116.6 KB
    Name:  Smoker hinge detail.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  95.5 KB
    Last edited by JustinWC; 04-02-2015 at 02:35 PM.
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer

Authorized Longevity Dealer blueriver's Avatar
    Finally ... a picture!!!!
    5x10 CNC table
    Stickweld 140
    Forcecut 80i
    Forcecut 62i
    Tractors, Trucks,
    Trailers, Farm
    Equipment!!

Heck Yeah Pictures. Thats what BBQ threads need!!! I'll post some recipes and some more pics soon.

Smoking some chicken over applewood last year.
    Name:  Smoker - Chicken.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  199.4 KB
    Name:  Smoker.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  164.6 KB
    Best regards,

Justin

Thermal Arc 186 TIG/Stick
    Lincoln SP-180T with spool gun
    Lincoln Electric Powermig 256
    Longevity Forcecut 42i
    Scotchman 275LT Cold saw
    Milwaukee Portaband
    HF 4x6 bandsaw

JET HVBS-710SG 7x10-1/2 inch Geared Head Mitering Horizontal Vertical Bandsaw
    Evolution Rage 3 Dry saw
    (OLD) Rockwell Delta 16 Speed drill press
    29 Gal. air compressor with water trap and desiccant dryer