FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: BBQ thread. A place for all BBQ recipies, builds, and discussion

My wife likes me to cook salmon on the pit for her. I used to eat it with her till I decide I could cook a good steak at the same time. I learned the hard way though don't let the steak land on the grill where you cooked salmon earlier cause it will taste like sh**!
    Steve
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Lincoln Ranger250
    Longevity TigWeld 200DX

Quote Originally Posted by poodle View Post
    My wife likes me to cook salmon on the pit for her. I used to eat it with her till I decide I could cook a good steak at the same time. I learned the hard way though don't let the steak land on the grill where you cooked salmon earlier cause it will taste like sh**!
    lol. I don't move the salmon until I set it on the plate. No risk of mixing unless you're cooking on one of those 5" wide decorative Webbers they have at Cabela's.
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.

I'm a lousy cook but when I'm over at a relative who loves to BBQ, he always cooks his salmon in foil. No risk of cross-flavoring. Not sure what he puts in there but it's mighty tasty!
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Usually butter, salt, pepper, garlic, maybe lemon, and then whatever the home chef's spice of choice is. Everybody's got a traditional favorite, and nobody's wrong. I prefer to lay off the lemon during cooking. If they want it, it's better fresh rather than infused. ^_^

The butter eventually seperates and half steams the salmon / other fish along with the moisture from the fillet. Only tough part is doing it enough times to stop poking holes in the sealed foil pack and learning the perfect cook time. If you've got access to those cryovac $1 4oz packages, it's not expensive to try enough times to get it right.
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Usually butter, salt, pepper, garlic, maybe lemon, and then whatever the home chef's spice of choice is. Everybody's got a traditional favorite, and nobody's wrong. I prefer to lay off the lemon during cooking. If they want it, it's better fresh rather than infused. ^_^ The butter eventually seperates and half steams the salmon / other fish along with the moisture from the fillet. Only tough part is doing it enough times to stop poking holes in the sealed foil pack and learning the perfect cook time. If you've got access to those cryovac $1 4oz packages, it's not expensive to try enough times to get it right.
    A relative of mine uses sun dried tomatoes. Really tasty. I'm with you on the lemon, prefer it on the side. You've got me hungry and it's not dinner time yet!

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    A relative of mine uses sun dried tomatoes. Really tasty. I'm with you on the lemon, prefer it on the side. You've got me hungry and it's not dinner time yet!
    I've got lemon balm (amongst many other things) growing outside like it's going out of style. About 20-30 leaves of that with some sesame oil and half a habanero = Thai staple eating. I do the rice on the side burner while cooking.

My 60yr old neighbor seemed confused when he saw me outside with a beer stalking the front yard looking for herbs... Turns out he's growing everything I'm not. So now I trade rosemary, sage, oregano, thai hots, bhut jolokias, cayennes, lemon balm, and chives for 5 different basils, dill, stevia, and 2-3 varieties of parsley.

Second neighbor that's been confused as hell to learn I cook after scowling at me for 11pm bodywork on a '67 in the street.

I've got lemon balm (amongst many other things) growing outside like it's going out of style. About 20-30 leaves of that with some sesame oil and half a habanero = Thai staple eating. I do the rice on the side burner while cooking. My 60yr old neighbor seemed confused when he saw me outside with a beer stalking the front yard looking for herbs... Turns out he's growing everything I'm not. So now I trade rosemary, sage, oregano, thai hots, bhut jolokias, cayennes, lemon balm, and chives for 5 different basils, dill, stevia, and 2-3 varieties of parsley. Second neighbor that's been confused as hell to learn I cook after scowling at me for 11pm bodywork on a '67 in the street.
    LOL. I don't understand half of the names you reeled off that were growing in the neighbor's yard! All legal, right? LOL You need to post some recipes 'cause I can't cook myself out of a wet paperbag. Maybe spending time on the forum will do me some good and score me some points with the missus ...

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    LOL. I don't understand half of the names you reeled off that were growing in the neighbor's yard! All legal, right? LOL You need to post some recipes 'cause I can't cook myself out of a wet paperbag. Maybe spending time on the forum will do me some good and score me some points with the missus ...
    All just normal kitchen herbs. The only "out theres" being Stevia - the extract is something like 100x sweeter than sugar, without giving you cancer like sucralose. Then there's the Bhut - one of the many names for a hot pepper that's cleared 1 million on the Scoville scale. For reference, a world record Scotch Bonnet (habenero) scored 450,000 - 550,000. The Bhut Jolokia, Ghost Chile, etc... have broken the million mark. Not suprisingly, the Trini's now have the record, at over 2mil. The control is 16mil. Commonplace Tobasco sauce is 2500-5000, by the way.

Assuming I can catch something worthy, I'm going to do a bbq version of a local favorite.

Foil pack rockfish topped with crab imperial. Probably do a roasted jalepeno / corn salsa on the side.

I tend to grill at least a jalepeno off in a corner when I know I've got a few chile fans coming. Not blackened at all, just soltened and carmelized.

All just normal kitchen herbs. The only "out theres" being Stevia - the extract is something like 100x sweeter than sugar, without giving you cancer like sucralose. Then there's the Bhut - one of the many names for a hot pepper that's cleared 1 million on the Scoville scale. For reference, a world record Scotch Bonnet (habenero) scored 450,000 - 550,000. The Bhut Jolokia, Ghost Chile, etc... have broken the million mark. Not suprisingly, the Trini's now have the record, at over 2mil. The control is 16mil. Commonplace Tobasco sauce is 2500-5000, by the way. Assuming I can catch something worthy, I'm going to do a bbq version of a local favorite. Foil pack rockfish topped with crab imperial. Probably do a roasted jalepeno / corn salsa on the side. I tend to grill at least a jalepeno off in a corner when I know I've got a few chile fans coming. Not blackened at all, just soltened and carmelized.
    OK, you've redeemed yourself. My appetite for lunch as come back. Unfortunately, I've emergency lunch today. That's where I didn't have time to make anything, didn't have any leftovers from the day before and need to bring in a frozen dinner.

Ever gone out of the way to bust your ass for someone and get left feeling like a second class citizen? Replaced the screens in 20+ windows, mowed the lawn with a push mower (think 50yrs ago, an actual push mower with rotary blades...), and did ribs for 20... Not looking for much, just not getting my balls busted...

Not entirely sold on the concept of "family" at the moment...