FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BBQ thread. A place for all BBQ recipies, builds, and discussion

BBQ thread. A place for all BBQ recipies, builds, and discussion

Dedicated to those members who are interested in all aspects of BBQ and other outdoor cooking and social activities. Talk about food, cooking, recipes, specialty BBQ Builds and Tools.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

I love to BBQ

I was fortunate enough to get a Viking grill that did not work off craigslist. Fixed the sucker up and I BBQ here and there.

My favorite books:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Grill-Comp...3460165&sr=8-2

and

http://www.amazon.com/Barbecue-Bible...3460176&sr=8-4

Good Recipes in there.

Love to hear and see what you guys can do!
    Longevity Welding
    Toll-Free Support: 1-510-887-7090 / 1-877-566-4462
    Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM to 4PM

Quote Originally Posted by LONGEVITY View Post
    I was fortunate enough to get a Viking grill that did not work off craigslist. Fixed the sucker up and I BBQ here and there.

My favorite books:

Amazon.com: How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques (978076112014: Steven Raichlen: Books

and

Amazon.com: The Barbecue! Bible (9780761149439): Steven Raichlen: Books

Good Recipes in there.

Love to hear and see what you guys can do!
    New member speers90 and I are members on a BBQ website and he has just finished his first cooker the other day and if I'm not mistaken, he is doing the maiden cook in it this weekend. Can't wait to see what it turns out. He posted some pics of it in his intro thread and it looks pretty dang good.

To start things off I'm gonna tell ya'll how to do some REAL HARD TO DO pulled pork.

If you got some charcoal, a good grill or smoker you can cook on with INDIRECT heat then you will be able to do this and dazzle yourself as well as anyone you choose to share the spoils with... Gauranteed, you can't beat this meat. :P

Get a Boston Butt. No, get two one is not enough.

About 30 minutes or an hour before you start the fire, take the butts out and put in a large container or on a large cutting board. Take some Tony Chacheres or Zatarains and VERY LIBERALLY CAKE IT ON the butts all the way around, top, and bottom. Make sure you get in all the cracks and crevices and rub it in as well as you can. Now, for the hard part. Take a bottle of A1 Steak Sauce and open it. Pour contents (as much as you can get on there) onto the butts and make sure you get the whole thing coated thick. May need to check and make sure you didn't rub off all the cajun goodness you put on the thing first and if you did it is appropriate to "fix" that now.

Now, let it sit ON THE COUNTER NOT IN FRIDGE (you can cover the container with some wrap if you like to keep the air/flies off the meat LOL) for about 1 1/2 hours. This

While the meat is resting, (trying to let it get to room temp before cooking so it will cook evenly) fire up smoker or grill with charcoal (I use Kingsford With Hickory but you can use regular charcoal if you like) or wood and let the fire get right. Make sure you let that fire get right and DO NOT PUT ANY MEAT ON GRILL UNTIL THEN.

Once fire is right and meat has sat out for 1 1/2 or so hours, place on grill grate and close the lid. Shouldn't have to open the lid for about an hour and half or so. At that time you can see if it is cooking good and if the side closest to the fire is hotter/cooked more than the "cold" side, swap places with cold side and hot side and shut lid. about 5 or so hours later (may have to add fuel to fire all along if needed to keep it going, mine I don't, I just start it up and an 18 lb bag of charcoal will last about 9 hrs. or so) check it and it should be black or nearly black, it ain't burnt, it is supposed to look like that. Wiggle the bone and if it feels loose it is done but you may want to check internal temp to make sure. If you choose to check internal temp target temp is roughly between 185-205 degrees. If bone wiggles and temp is right (if you even check it) then remove from grill and wrap tightly in foil. Place the butts (wrapped individually in foil) in a cooler (ice chest) that is big enough for them to fit in but not overly large and close the lid. Forget about them and go drink beers for about 2 hours. When 1 1/2 - 2 hours is up, take em out of the foil and (wearing gloves, rubber ones, is advisable because they will still be hot enough to hurt your hands) pull the bone out. Should come out clean. Now, take your hands and SMASH down with your palms on the top of the meat and kinda squish it. Then start pulling it to shreds with your fingers making sure to shred the blackened crust as well as this is where most of the flavor is.

Now, enjoy. Sauce is optional.

that is all.
    Just Sensible Concepts
    *Longevity Weldall 160PI (technically it's not mine but it is on MY inventory for my shop at work)
    Lincoln Weldanpower 200
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln AC225

I had this new idea earlier I for from that Rainford guy on the cooking channel with adding new flavor to your bbq. He had this big foil which he placed a lot of ingredients on including some cinnamon, even some would shavings and a lot more spices. He punched holes in it and popped it below the grill where you place the meat. It is supposed to capture whatever scent and hints of taste that bag of spices produces for a better tasting grilled meat.

There have been some folks experimenting with putting whole onions and/or garlic whole cloves or bulbs with husks on atop the hot coals for an onion/garlic flavored smoke. I haven't tried that yet but I can testify that putting fresh green rosemary and thyme on hot coals DEFINITELY imparts a nice flavor in chicken and beef.
    Just Sensible Concepts
    *Longevity Weldall 160PI (technically it's not mine but it is on MY inventory for my shop at work)
    Lincoln Weldanpower 200
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln AC225

ok here is some baked beans I threw together the other night.. I hit it just right, I had 3 people tell me they were the best beans they have ever eaten...

2 cans bush's grillin beans
    2 tablespoons of mustard
    2 tablespoons of sweet baby rays barbeque sauce
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    4 drops of Hotsauce From Hell (habanero hot sauce), this stuff is pretty hot, so adjust to your liking.. 4 drops worked good for everyone else.. I like it with 6 drops myself but it gets a little too hot for everyone else..

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

steak and pork chop marinade...

get a large platter,
    put a healthy shake of Montreal Steak Seasoning in it...
    mix in a bunch of worschestchire sauce with it..
    wipe steaks through it
    pile steaks back on the platter
    douse with more worschestchire sauce
    lay saran wrap over the platter of meat.
    let sit for about 45minutes to an hour, rotating the steaks or chops..
    Grille until desired
    Chow Down...

1972 Bridgeport Mill
    Thermal Arc 211i
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Buffalo 4x6 Horizontal Band Saw
    Craftsman Benchtop Drillpress
    Craftsman Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Belt/Disk Sander Combo
    Crafstman Vertical Band Saw

Dang, I was hoping for some homebuilt grill/bbq ideas and inspirations.
    mountain eagle
    longevity forcecut 50i
    miller econotig
    millermatic 185
    speedglas lid

Quote Originally Posted by khoward View Post
    I had this new idea earlier I for from that Rainford guy on the cooking channel with adding new flavor to your bbq. He had this big foil which he placed a lot of ingredients on including some cinnamon, even some would shavings and a lot more spices. He punched holes in it and popped it below the grill where you place the meat. It is supposed to capture whatever scent and hints of taste that bag of spices produces for a better tasting grilled meat.
    I tried that once. It works better with some things than others. Best part is experimenting to see what works. Can't have enough good cooking!
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    I haven't tried that yet but I can testify that putting fresh green rosemary and thyme on hot coals DEFINITELY imparts a nice flavor in chicken and beef.
    Not as typical, but it does quite well for fatty fish.

The missus has a thing for salmon, so she gets that occasionally instead of the steak / brats / chorizo.

Skin side down the whole way through, pick your seasonings, large sprig of fresh rosemary from the front yard on top. Typically done about the same time as the steak. You're basically just burning the piss out of the skin, which then peels off nicely or provides a bit of smoke at the table when you easily take the meat away with a fork. For a thicker piece or to do a caramel glaze, it goes fish side down into the pan with some sugar / vinegar / wine / bourbon for a minute or two. (You're basically just playing keep away with the skin to keep the fish flavor without the fishiness.)

Considering the local grocery chain sells 4oz portions of skin-on salmon for $1/ea cryovac style, she can eat fancy as often as she likes. I usually combine that with some of the newish $1.50 steamer packs. ie - Wild rice with tomato / spinach, finished with a bit of balsamic or wine in the pan on the grill. You can't beat $2.50 for a salmon dinner on this continent, as best I know.

If you've got anyone looking to eat a bit healthier, give chicken a shot this way.

Grab one (or a few, as we do) of the large freezer packs of bulk boneless skinless breasts when they're under $2/lb... I prefer working with chicken when it's nearly frozen - Bendable, still shows ice crystals. The fat/skin tears off whole, and they're incrediby easy to cut into uniform sections. Trim and clean them, then lay flat, and slice horizontally into two even pieces.

Heat / clean the grill as usual. Worst case, you may want to burn off a light amount of pan spray so they'll release easily without tearing. Season as you like, and burn away at medium direct heat. When you start seeing 20-30% white through the bottom, spray lightly with pan spray, and flip. They'll be done fast. I only take my chicken to around 136-145F - Anyone scared to death by the USDA look away. When you can grab them with tongs, and they break open cleanly when folded you're there. (They'll carry over for a good few more degrees when stacked on a plate / in a lower heat corner of the grill) Mine only stay on the grill until just after the pink fades off. The USDA wants another 20+F in them. Can't do it at a restaurant, but it's how I do it at home.

Do it right, and you'll have chicken you can easily cut with a fork all the time, with no marinating / brining. For those of you dieting / trying to eat healthier without suffering, it'll make the difference. For fellow fatties, it'll still make some of the best chicken sandwiches you've ever had after you top them with all the fixings. ^_^ They'll keep for a few days in the fridge in a ziplock, and do very well for the impromptu salads / fajitas / etc.

I suppose there's call for a "try it at your own peril" disclaimer.

Blues - Try a 1/4" thick section of red onion on a "tester" next time around. About halfway through, set the onion on the grill, and the burger on top of that. Onion will get torched as the fat flares up to the onion. Burger gets eaten, onion decorates the compost. (Unless you're into hocky-puck well done onions. )
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    4 drops of Hotsauce From Hell
    So fitting that you bring this up right as I finish my bottle.
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.