FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Difference between HF and Pilot arc

Just wondering where you guy's are placing the earth from the torch i have a hf start cut40 and just bought a p-80 but when i connect the earth from torch my wire starts to fry i have tried connecting it to the material and i have tried the earth from the machine without connecting it to the work piece what gauge wire should i use from torch to earth and were would be better to connect wire to earth as to not to fry it?

thanx in advance

Hi Ozyjimbo and welcome to the forum. We like pictures here so please include some showing your work. Be sure to post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you.
    By earth from the torch I assume you are talking about the pilot arc wire. On my LP80 I connect that to the ground clamp on the plasma cutter. If you are frying the wire I suspect you either forgot to connect the ground to the work from the plasma cutter to piece or the clamp isn't grounded well. Occasionally I will forget to connect the work ground and the pilot arc is doing all the grounding, it doesn't cut very well and the wire will melt the insulation. Just be sure the plasma cutter ground clamp is well connected to the work piece and the pilot arc wire from the torch is well connected to the plasma cutter ground.
    Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Hey gadget thanx for replying yeah i was in a rush to do an intro as i wanted to figure out how to stop my pilot start wire from frying lol

i don't have any pics at the moment but i can give a better description i have a cut 40 china brand it is a hf start i bought a Panasonic p-80 pilot start machine torch i connected the pilot start wire to the earth clamp the earth clamp was also connected to the work piece i started the torch away from the work piece and got a nice full cut flame from it like as if i was cutting metal but then my troubles began i looked down only to see my pilot earth cooking that is why i asked what gauge pilot wire was being used as i think i might have been using a to smaller wire

btw even with the torch away from the work piece or if i was actually cutting the wire still fries

here are a couple of pics of the cutter and torch they are from other sites and not of my own equipment but they are exact to what i haveName:  $_12.JPG
Views: 1820
Size:  29.2 KB

Name:  P80_straight_hand_machines_torch_for_panasonic.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  45.5 KB this is the torch i'm trying to connect

Quote Originally Posted by ozyjimbo View Post
    btw even with the torch away from the work piece or if i was actually cutting the wire still fries
    I'm out of my depth here, but this sure sounds like an electrical short, or some kind of electrical fault.
    Victor o/a
    accumulating tools as projects demand

no it's done it on both torches it's something i'm doing wrong

If your torch height gap it too large it will run off the pilot wire instead of the arc path to ground. Maybe that's what's happening.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

ahhh ok i'll try that and lower the torch closer to the work piece i was only using a thin gauge wire so i'll try a thicker wire aswell i'll let you know how it goes just one more question to that should the torch light up to full cut flame or should it spark then go to full flame? with the hf torch head i didn't have to touch the work piece if i got it low enough to initiate a spark then once it goes into full flame i bring it up a little