FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new (cheap) helmet?

new (cheap) helmet?

(didnt know where to put this, but for me its tig specific so i figured i'd put it here)
    alright, so i'm lookin at gettin a new helmet. i got a cheap one off ebay back when i first got into welding with my clarke AC buzz box *shudder*. the helmet was great, and its worked awesome for whatever i've asked it to.

but i'm looking for a new helmet, the one i have is pretty beat up. the switches sometimes dont click right, and the knobs are pretty beat up too... i got it for $30 shipped to my door, so its done its job many times over...

i'm not looking to spend boatloads of cash on a helmet, i dont care really about consumables or lenses, if anything i'll just duct-tape what i need onto it if i have to (like cheater lenses) so $60-70 should be considered top end for me.

i've seen plenty in that range on ebay, and they are FAR better than my current helmet, AND they are 4 sensor with extra options like grind mode! the only thing i HAVENT seen is one with a shade 8 capability? i've pretty much used shade 9-10 for everything that i do (mostly mig stuff with my trusty clarke 130en)

so, has anyone relied on one of these ebay helmets? how do they handle the lower amperage tig stuff? do i need the lower end shade 8 or should i be fine with a shade 9-13?

I would think 9 would be fine. I don't think I weld with any less than that actually. What brand helmet are you looking at on line?
    -James
    HTP Mig 2400
    HTP Microcut 625
    Longevity Tigweld200
    Hubangus blast cabinet
    Enco Mill
    O/A torch setup
    PT105 Bender
    Notchmaster
    4X6 bandsaw
    Portaband
    30T press
    Enco 50" slip roller

9 is as low as i go to,and that is just for thin stuff at low amperage.
    Guy

Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
    Millermatic Challenger Mig
    Century 230/140 amp AC/DC Stick
    DeVilbiss 6Hp 60Gal.
    HF Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    HF 6in. Belt 9in. Disc Sander
    HF pipe bender
    HF tubing roller
    Springfield machine tool co. 14X40 lathe

If I'm not mistaken I used shade 8 a while back for gas welding. That's really hard to dial in since the flame changes. You need to adjust sensetivity as well as the shade.
    HTP Mig 2400
    HTP Microcut 625
    Longevity Tigweld200
    Hubangus blast cabinet
    Enco Mill
    O/A torch setup
    PT105 Bender
    Notchmaster
    4X6 bandsaw
    Portaband
    30T press
    Enco 50" slip roller

I have a Northern Tool auto darkening helmet that works great and only cost $40. It's far better than the harbor freight units and is actually cheaper too.

I just ordered a Lincoln 2450 helmet for about $167. It was a bit more money but I wanted a helmet that I could change the batteries in when needed. The cheaper auto darkening helmets that I have bought in the past have had non-replaceable batteries so they are basically disposable but at $40-60 I got my money out of them. Hopefully this is the last one I have to buy.
    Longevity 256pi muti-purpose unit with cooler
    Lincoln 3200HD converted to use gas
    Haas CNC MiniMill
    Accuslide CNC Gang Lathe
    Hardinge DSM59 Turret Lathe
    Bridgeports
    Drill Presses
    20 Ton Hydraulic Press
    Sand Blast Cabinets
    Belt Sanders
    Lots of Grinders

Quote Originally Posted by tat2nu View Post
    I just ordered a Lincoln 2450 helmet for about $167. It was a bit more money but I wanted a helmet that I could change the batteries in when needed. The cheaper auto darkening helmets that I have bought in the past have had non-replaceable batteries so they are basically disposable but at $40-60 I got my money out of them. Hopefully this is the last one I have to buy.
    That's a pretty nice hood. Let us know how you like it once you've had it for a while. The specs sound really good for that price.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Yeah, I thought it was a great deal. I got it from a welding store on eBay called Welding Supplies from IOC. Just do a search for "Lincoln 2450" and then sort by lowest price first and he shows up as the first "Buy It Now". I will do a review on it once I get more of a chance to play with it.
    Longevity 256pi muti-purpose unit with cooler
    Lincoln 3200HD converted to use gas
    Haas CNC MiniMill
    Accuslide CNC Gang Lathe
    Hardinge DSM59 Turret Lathe
    Bridgeports
    Drill Presses
    20 Ton Hydraulic Press
    Sand Blast Cabinets
    Belt Sanders
    Lots of Grinders

@ zero2005

Why not check out the Esab Globe Arc, its a non battery welding helmet that can also be used in all welding and cutting processes. You can even change/replace the outer lens to whatever shade you prefer and its very light plus you won't need to be nodding your head down when starting to weld. Bought it at $69.69 but saw another seller selling it at $60.00 only.

Hope this helps !!
    HiTronic 300 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Cut Off Saw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted angle grinders : DeWALT, MAKITA, BLACK&DECKER, BOSCH, MILWAUKEE
    Assorted clamps, vises, and PPEs

-----------------------------------
    Dreaming of a MIG, a TIG welder and a PLASMA Cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    That's a pretty nice hood. Let us know how you like it once you've had it for a while. The specs sound really good for that price.
    I bought my MM210 and Jackson NexGen from IOC. They are good people.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX