FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plasma cutter arcs but will not cut.

Plasma cutter arcs but will not cut.

I'm new here and to plasma cutting,but after googling I found this site in hopes that someone might be able to help.

I just bought Renegade Power Solutions CUT-50 PRO Plasma Cutter

Hooked everything up air at 60 psi 110 volt

Tried to make some cuts but all it does is arc and pop but never cuts

Any suggestions as to why its doing this?

Gumby

I copied the somewhat duplicate post to this one and deleted the duplicate. This was done to keep it all in the proper place Dan

Plasma cutter arcs but will not cut.
    Making my first post after hours of googling I found this site and I hope it can be helpful.

I just bought a Renegade Power Solutions CUT-50 PRO Plasma Cutter hook everything up and tried to make a cut.

The cutter arced and popped but never began to cut.

I tried different consumables with the same result.

I have this unit plugged into 110 and air at 60 psi.

Tried the current really low to max with same result

As I see it the unit somewhere is defective and needs to go back but curious to see what someone here might have in mind as a solution.

Thanks
    Chris/Gumby
    Last edited by Gadget; 07-03-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Hi Gumby and welcome to the forum. What amperage do you have your unit set to? Do you get air flow from the torch? What type of torch is it? If it's the S45 torch the center electrode must be able to move up and down when you press on it, that movement is needed to get the cut going.
    I made sure you are now promoted to registered user so your posts will show immediately now. I'm sure after getting answers to the above questions we can get this figured out for you.
    Please post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you.
    Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Thank you for the nice welcome.
    I have the amperage set now to 50
    I do have nice airflow to the torch
    The torch is a PT-31 plasma cutting torch with 13' cord, but I dont have any movement in any parts like you mentioned.

Name:  cut50pro.JPG
Views: 4897
Size:  64.2 KBName:  cut50pro2.JPG
Views: 5477
Size:  109.7 KB

Quiet and fast cuts in stainless & carbon alloy steels, copper, aluminum and other metals

• Digital amperage readout - displays output current / power level

• Convenient air-pressure gauge located on front-panel

• Rated for clean cuts up to 16mm (just under 3/4"), slightly thicker severance cuts

• Latest production model - all the latest updates and improvements

• Power v-mosfet technology for superb power and reliability

• Easy to use - out of the box to operation in under 10 minutes. Everything needed is included, just supply air and electricity.

• Dual input voltage - functions with either 110v or 220v, single-phase power (U.S. 60 hz. or European 50 hz.) Standard U.S. 3-prong, 15-amp grounded, 110v plug is pre-installed. If you prefer to operate the unit with 220v power, simply install a new plug on the power cord to fit your receptacle. The machine will automatically detect the input voltage/frequency and adjust.

• Oversized cooling fan & chassis vents for maximum duty and long life

• ISO9002 & CE certified

• Uses standard 50-amp consumables (12 pcs. included / we stock thousands more)

Brand:Renegade Power Solutions
    Series:Titanium Elite (Renegade's best line)
    Model:CUT-50 PRO
    Dimensions:15" x 11" x 6"
    Input voltage:110 or 220 volts
    Input current:30 amps
    Output:50 amps
    Duty cycle:60% at full power
    Power factor:0.93
    Protection:IP21
    Start type:High-frequency, clean metal contact

I don't think 110V will support 50A cutting current. Usually 110 will only cut to about 20A (only useful on thin gauge metal).

Thurmond
    EVERLAST PowerTig 250 EX 2013 Model - Thanks Oleg!
    Miller Bobcat 3 Phase,
    26 series gas cooled TIG torch, setup for quick connect to Bobcat.
    Miller Suitcase X-Treme 12VS
    17 Series Tig Torch for Solar Powered Welding Project
    EVERLAST PowerUltra 205P
    Hobart Handler 187 Mig / Flux Core
    Standard Oxygen / Acetylene Cutting, Welding setup.

Tritium

Do think its not working then because its not hooked up to 220v ? The machine only has a cord for 110volt.

If so I was thinking of trying to find a cord with a 220 male plug on one end and then 110 female on the other to plug into.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
    I don't think 110V will support 50A cutting current. Usually 110 will only cut to about 20A (only useful on thin gage metal).

Thurmond
    Yes, I think this is correct.

The type of cutter that was purchased is a contact type, and needs the torch tip to touch the work to start the plasma flowing.
    keith
    The older the Boys, the more expensive the TOYS
    Previously Owned equipment;
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    2 Longevity autodarking helmets
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

Don't know for sure but try setting it for 20A and cutting something thin (like a computer case). You need a bare clean spot for your ground cable and some plasma units don't cut dirty or painted metal well so try the inside of the computer case or a piece of clean metal.
    Have you contacted the seller to see what their solution might be?

Thurmond
    EVERLAST PowerTig 250 EX 2013 Model - Thanks Oleg!
    Miller Bobcat 3 Phase,
    26 series gas cooled TIG torch, setup for quick connect to Bobcat.
    Miller Suitcase X-Treme 12VS
    17 Series Tig Torch for Solar Powered Welding Project
    EVERLAST PowerUltra 205P
    Hobart Handler 187 Mig / Flux Core
    Standard Oxygen / Acetylene Cutting, Welding setup.

Thank you both KHK and Tritium for help.

Tritium , I will give your suggestion a try .

I did contact them but as its the holiday I haven't heard back from them for a reply.

---------- Post added 07-04-2011 at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-03-2011 at 11:39 PM ----------

Tritium,
    I did what you told me and it worked. The cutter cut it. It wasn't pretty or clean but it actually worked.

I must have had the amperage set way too high, because now it works.

Thanks so much for your help.

Now I have another question though. I'm wondering how thick of metal I can cut using 110v or should I look into getting it wired for 220v. ?

one thing to keep in mind, is a ground.... ive found it in the past, even tho you might have the ground lug installed in the machine, the ground clamp on the metal, if the ground wire has come loose inside the lug, well.... no ground = no cutting.... also, the plasma torch WILL be hooked to the negative side of the machine... if you have hooked the torch to the positive side, you have fused the tips together and need to replace the consumables and try again.... again, the plasma torch MUST be hooked to the negative side of the machine...

above, as stated, 110 vac cannot support 50 amp cutting power.... however, if the machine cannot withstand the 220vac input, then dont fry your machine but trying to adapt it over to 220 from 110... be best to wait for that companies tech support to get back to you on this...

hope ive helped

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

also, that is a panasonic torch copy... it uses hi freq to start the arc NOT contact... i did a quick google search and looked at the drawings a lil and you cannot get the polarity incorrect on that machine, so disregard my polarity suggestion....

when you hold the torch over the metal ready to cut, is that when you notice the quick "on/ off" of the arc? of are ya holding the torch in the air? what is the distance of the torch over the metal? should be about 3/32 of an inch... you shouldnt need full blast to start and maintain an arc from this machine, i would check the consumables, make sure they are tight, fresh and try again, check the ground clamp, cable and lug to make sure that you are getting a good ground...
    Torchmate 5 x 10 custom built CNC table
    6 (each) Thermadyne 252i mig/ stick/ tig
    Thermal Dynamics a-60 automated cutter
    Thermal cutmaster 52 handheld cutter
    '07 pro300 miller
    '08 275 trailblazer miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    12vs extreme suitcase feeder
    2 (each) xr-a 50 foot push-pull feeders (for aluminum mig)
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304
    (do i REALLY need to keep going?)

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

www.sicfabrications.com