FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: What shade lens do you prefer?

What shade lens do you prefer?

I have a Lincoln AD hood from HD. It is alright. I did experience the flashing issue but it seemed to go away if I set the hood in the sun or direct light prior to using it. (Is this my imagination or is there a battery or cap charging?) Anyway it came with a #11 lens. The only times I have used this hood was with a mig welder, welding steel. This lens just barely allowed me to see. I can understand protection but this might have been extreme. Doc, my eyes are fine! It is my skin that is burnt cause I couldnt see the fire I started. Do different metals and processes require different shades? Or will 1 shade work for TIG, ARC and Plasma?
    WeldAll 160pi
    Miller Cricket
    HF 12 x 36 Gear Head/VFD modded lathe
    A2ZCNC Mill
    Sherline Cnc Lathe
    Dyna Mechtronics DM 3000
    Dyna Mechtronics DM 2400
    HF RF30 Manual Mill
    G0704 on order

For Tig I use a #9 for MIG i use a 10 Stick i use 10-12 depending on the amp range same with inner shield
    Oxy Fuel cutting welding and plasma cutting i use a #5
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/
    Bunch of tools of the trade to much to list
    http://instagram.com/weldor_wes/

I have two AD that range 9 to 13, 1 fixed shade 10. For MIG I use the 9 to 10 Stick use 10 to 12 depends on the amps. Just my .02 cents
    Thermal Dynamics 211i multi purpose
    Victor O/A Torch
    HF 80 amp arc welder
    Lincoln tombstone
    Really old and I mean old welder
    Lots of clamps, grinders
    And a desire to lean all I can about welding and fabrication
    Oh forgot I have gotten to use an awsome Longevity multi purpose machine and sweet enigne drive thanks to SIC Fabrications

To me depends on amps. But everyone is different like a buddy of mine can't weld with anything darker then a 9; I personally like a 11 gold for most things or cobalt blue.
    Millermatic 180 auto set
    Oxy Propane

Quote Originally Posted by 180guy View Post
    To me depends on amps. But everyone is different like a buddy of mine can't weld with anything darker then a 9; I personally like a 11 gold for most things or cobalt blue.
    I'm pretty much like your buddy. I'm no spring chicken, so my night vision isn't what it used to be, and I find I have trouble seeing even with the helmets set at 9. I don't like it, because I really don't want to damage my eyesight, but what can you do???
    Cheers,
    Art R.

Longevity LS200-PI multi-purpose cutter/welder,
    Miller 180 Auto-Set MIG,
    Custom 5hp compressor,