FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2 Motors

Most cars don't take a lot of power to cruise at reasonable speeds. There are a lot of other things drawing off the power of the engine, but raw power to keep that pickup at, say, 55 mph, would be a tad over twenty.
    The issue is, all of the parts that transfer power, provide electrical generation, operate valve train, pump water and heat/cool the interior have to draw off the available power. The nice thing about electric motors is, they make full torque across their entire operational range. Not like an Internal Combustion Engine.

In 1974 or so, the automakers shifted from gross HP figures to Net HP figures. The engine Charlie is working with dropped from 145 HP to 95 HP on paper. Many folks identified the drop with emissions devices that were also introduced at or around the same time. The actual available power didn't change a whit. All that happened was, the EGR maps became more agressive, so more ignition timing could be introduced via higher advance curves.
    The cars were capable of better fuel economy due to this, and combustion chamber temperatures decreased. This resulted in a lower likelyhood of detonation, all other things being equal at partial throttle under load.

Everytime I get an old car that has had the EGR blocked off to "increase performance," I cringe. At WOT, the EGR is fully shut. At cold start up, the EGR will not flow exhaust gasses. It doesn't hurt power at all.

Now back to electric car motors. I worked on Electrathon America cars a couple years back, and worked with a guy that had the first record at Bonneville operating one of these cars. He came mighty close to breaking 100 mph with two 12 volt car batteries and a 15 HP motor. His limiting factor was the gears he brought with him to the Salt.
    The flat plate drag on that car was minimal. With a pickup, trying to go 70 mph will take a whole bunch more power. If 25 hp pushes the truck at 55, then running up to 70 will take double that, or more. If 45 mph is acceptable, it could probably be done with around 15 hp. The load on an electric motor has to be approached the same way we go at taking care of a car engine. We can have 500 hp, but not be able to maintain a given speed because of cooling. The same thing applies to the electric motor and it's associated wiring and control devices. They have to be kept within reasonable limits to function.
    Many of the high performance electric motors out there have liquid and even more exotic cooling systems.
    The controller will cost more than the motor that we need to push that truck around. Batteries capable of doing so for any extended period of time will be extremely expensive.
    There are a lot of experimenters playing with pure electric and hybrid vehicles. The easy way to get there is to go buy one. I salute those that go about it the hard way, and build their own. If the drag racing I love so much ends up becoming a problem for emissions or fuel or whatever, I'll jump over to the electric power side of things so I can go get my adrenelin fix up at the track.

CJ

Charley, ur best bet is to go with some sort of mil surplus motor...
    24v+ 48v or more even btr.
    rc

Keep us posted. I purchased an old diesel to convert my 1995 LandRover to veggie oil. This project is getting more and more interesting as the cost of gas creeps up.
    "Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the only one that can be mass-produced with unskilled labor"
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

Have ForceCut80I, Precision TIG 185, Ideal Arc 250, Oxy-Acetylene, Tig welding Chamber, 14 Ton pipe bender, 20 Ton press, Electric sheet metal shear, 12 inch- 0.125 Shear, 12 inch Metal Band Saw, Power Hack Saw, Abrasive Chop Saws, 2 Mills, 5 Lathes, and lots of other items

What kinda diesel mtr did u get, Iski ?
    rc

...how abt diesel/electric like the train locomotives do...LoL
    or maybe like a diesel prius
    Longevity Stickweld 140 Lunchbox Baby!
    Redi Arc & Craftsman AC boxes
    200P 3 in 1
    Harris gages/Victor & Smiths torches
    101.07301 project
    Large pile of saws & drills
    Wheel barrow full a sanders N' grinders
    truckloads of woodworking tools
    the paint pumps, ladders and stuff
    rock n mud tools & plumbin stuff
    Lapidary thangs
    mekanik tools
    & I am a pathological liar and functional illiterate.

That is a good question. I don't always think thing through before I take the leap. A friend of mine Mark Smith who co-founded Factory Five Racing decided to start a company to make fast sports cars that get good gas mileage. He needed capitol to start and was selling off some of his projects that he never got to. So I purchased a motor that he purchased off of EBAY. He told me that the engine was commonly used for canal boats and diesel conversions of landRovers in Europe. I have done a few google searches with the engine serial numbers, and have not identified the engine yet. It is a large, very old, cast Iron diesel with mechanical injectors. It has a turbo on it. It mates to an R380. At the moment that is all I know. It was not originally in a LandRover. I will need to keep searching to see who made it and for what.
    "Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the only one that can be mass-produced with unskilled labor"
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

Have ForceCut80I, Precision TIG 185, Ideal Arc 250, Oxy-Acetylene, Tig welding Chamber, 14 Ton pipe bender, 20 Ton press, Electric sheet metal shear, 12 inch- 0.125 Shear, 12 inch Metal Band Saw, Power Hack Saw, Abrasive Chop Saws, 2 Mills, 5 Lathes, and lots of other items

Sure sounds like an old workhorse, Iski... should be a good one!
    If you post a nice pic or two of it I could shop it around and find someone to identify it.
    rc
    200P 3 in 1
    101.07301 project
    Lapidary thangs
    mekanik tools

Thanks, I'll try to get some tonight. I built a wooden platform with some old lawnmower wheels, and made a tent to cover it. I sprayed it with old motor oil, and left it for the winter. I think it has one number stamped on the block or head, but I did not see any other markings. It could be that I don't know where to look.

PS: Marks company moto is go green, but go fast (I like it). Smith Performance G3F.
    Last edited by ISKI; 04-20-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

LoL !

That's probably why he sold you that motor... my crystal ball tells me it shall be like a thundering herd of turtles !

That's OK... but you gotta get into a different mind-set to run 'em.

Patience is the key, when the kids on bicycles pull away from you at a stop sign.

...and I ran naturally aspirated diesels at high altitude, also... HUGE clouds of smoke climbing the hills ! THAT was NOT good!
    the vehicle wasn't fast enough on those hills to get out of it's own cloud of smoke!

...Just came alive when I got down on the flats, though, at low altitude...

It will be a fun project for you.
    rc
    200P 3 in 1
    101.07301 project
    Lapidary thangs
    mekanik tools

That's funny, and most likely true. Last weekend I purchased a used ride Lawnmower for my girlfriend. It was less than a mile from her house, so I drove it home. I was passed by no less than three bicycles while wide open in 6th gear. I want a rematch in the snow I have seven cars a 1947 DKW convertable, 1995 LandRover D1, 1999 LandRover D2, 2002 Kit Hummer H1, 1988 Mustang GT, 2001 Mustang Convertable, and a 1995 Geo Metro. I drive the Metro everwhere as it still gets 52 MPG with 230,000 miles in horrible shape. When I drive the others, I feel like I rule the world after driving the 50 hp Metro.
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

With this baby, the turtles may be in out in a snow storm. Here are some pictures of the beast. The turbo if from California, the fuel injector is from England.

Name:  EnglandDiesel7.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  86.8 KBName:  EnglandDiesel5.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  80.6 KBName:  EnglandDiesel3.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  59.9 KBName:  EnglandDiesel9.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  67.7 KBName:  EnglandDiesel10.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  79.9 KBName:  EnglandDiesel6.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  71.0 KBName:  EnglandDiesel4.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  72.0 KBName:  EnglandDiesel8.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  77.1 KBName:  EnglandDiesel11.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  75.3 KBName:  EnglandDiesel1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  79.3 KBName:  EnglandDiesel2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  39.3 KB
    Last edited by ISKI; 04-20-2011 at 07:31 PM.
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun