FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Motors

Try this link to a diy forum, DIY Electric Car Forums - Electric Vehicle Build and Conversion Community
    The people on the forum are a great bunch.
    keith
    The older the Boys, the more expensive the TOYS
    Previously Owned equipment;
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    2 Longevity autodarking helmets
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

Funny thing .... Minutes after posting this thread I got a notification from "Instructables" about a DIY Hybrid car where a guy basically made an electric car out of a Geo Metro then later added a propane generator to charge/top off batteries extending it's range tremendously Hmmmm back to the drawing board
    Millermatic 140
    Thermodynamics 190C plasma cutter
    Plasma Trace (custom built by me)
    Victor O/A torch HVAC size
    Craftsman 15" floor model drill press
    Craftsman 6" metal lathe
    Wilton horizontal band saw
    Porter Cable 60 gallon compressor
    Clarke parts washer
    Craftsman 10" table saw
    Ryobi 8 1/2" sliding miter saw
    Homemade bench top english wheel
    Homemade plannishing hammer
    Tons of hand power tools
    1500 sq ft shop
    & an over active imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Davidson View Post
    I'm highly fascinated and into alternative energy & would like to maybe make my old truck run on gas and electric. Since I have a slant 6 there is some room under the hood for a good sized electric motor. How can I run 2 motors off of 1 trans. independently from each other? The trans. is a 3 speed standard and if that wont work how bout one with a transfer case?

Just dreaming right now but if at all possible I would like to try it down the road.
    you want alternative fuel.. do a search for HHO . its very interesting.. you can look on utube also, many people are building hho torches/welders.. they are saying even powering motorcycles and cars with them..

a freind of mine that has a small fabrication shop has had a guy demo an hho torch/welder unit in person and he said it actually worked good.. but expensive, like $7500

i might make a small torch just so i can say i built one and see if i can actually get it to work.. be cool to have a friend over and show him your water burning torch.

in theory:
    you could make the hho generator, then use a carburetor converted for propane and actually run on water... the thing is, you need to make the hho generator large enough to produce enough to run the vehicle.. i would have no idea what it would do to a piston, probably just plain burn a hole straight through it because it would be a very lean burning fuel.. i guess you could actually use a water injection system and inject water in with the hho and that would cool the piston top enough it wouldnt melt.. then again i'm not a scientist

its definetly interesting though.

heres a video of a guy running a 5hp engine with an hho setup. might be snake oil, who knows
    Last edited by brucer; 01-10-2011 at 07:54 AM.

1972 Bridgeport Mill
    Thermal Arc 211i
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Buffalo 4x6 Horizontal Band Saw
    Craftsman Benchtop Drillpress
    Craftsman Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Belt/Disk Sander Combo
    Crafstman Vertical Band Saw

I have yet to see an actual functioning HHO car, seen a Hummer at an alt energy fair but he conveniently didn't have any HHO
    Millermatic 140
    Craftsman 6" metal lathe
    Clarke parts washer
    Craftsman 10" table saw
    Tons of hand power tools
    1500 sq ft shop

The only issue you would have if you went propane is that you would have to have hardened valve seats or the propane will destroy the motor also propane is about 104 octane straight from the bottle i used to have a propane powered built chevy 350
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/
    Bunch of tools of the trade to much to list
    http://instagram.com/weldor_wes/

I got a PM from a new member today about this thread and slant 6's so I got to thinking about how to make it work. Here's what I came up with
    Came up with a possible solution to running two motors through my transmission independently

A splined collar that slips over the trany spline that has a spline on it to go to the motor. The splined collar would be a slip joint that would be connected to a lever that would allow it to engage/disengage from the gas motor.

I would probably have to build a bell housing spacer to allow for the added length.

I could drive the trany/DC motor with a belt drive like on a Harley. The DC motor could slide with the coupler too if need be.
    Here's a simple drawing
    Name:  Disengaging spline.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  12.7 KB
    Last edited by Charley Davidson; 03-19-2011 at 11:57 PM.
    Millermatic 140
    Craftsman 6" metal lathe
    Clarke parts washer
    Craftsman 10" table saw
    Tons of hand power tools
    1500 sq ft shop

The splines on the transmission input shaft are coupled to the clutch disk in a manual transmission, or to the torque converter in an automatic. The input shaft of the manual transmission rides in a pilot bearing in the flywheel to align it and keep the front tranny seal from leaking.
    The front pump of an automatic is run by the ears on the converter, and the shaft is supported by the front bearing in the pump housing and the crank shaft hub via the nose of the converter to keep it aligned. This keeps the converter aligned to keep the front seal in the automatic transmission from leaking.

Decoupling would not be possible here, because there is no shaft coming out of the engine with splines.

If wheel motors were run for front wheel drive, allowing you to shift to neutral with the engine and shut it down, you would still be pulling the rear differential and driveshaft, along with the output shaft of the transmission. Not insurmountable. Install hubs that can be decoupled from the axle. Still. This is a daunting task.

Some hybrids run the motor as a generator from the main engine, utiltize a clutching mechanism to disengage the engine when the car is to run off of electric power only. these are pretty complex mechanisms that include computer control. The shafts still run in a clutch or converter. These are very specialized motors built into the interface.

Working from an existing platform, an assist mechanism to decrease engine load will likely maximize benefit. Around town, or on short trips, the electric motor can increase efficiency considerably. Out on the road, not so much.
    I'd mentioned GM's method of using a motor/alternator to boost torque via a belt system. That would be the easiest method to emulate.

Another thought would be to decouple with a custom transfer case at the third member or at the tailshaft. Couple the electric motor to take up the load when desired.

With a carburetor, your accelerator pedal needs to be fly by wire to allow it to be used for electric or the I.C.E. If your driving on electric power, no sense emptying the carbs contents into the intake manifold via the accelerator pump.

CJ

Electric vehicles I've seen were hi-torque dc motors mounted at the differential...
    rc

Looks like my best bet is doing the DC motor after the tranny. I need to start looking for a motor.
    Millermatic 140
    Craftsman 6" metal lathe
    Clarke parts washer
    Craftsman 10" table saw
    Tons of hand power tools
    1500 sq ft shop

I can't imagine how much an electric motor with enough power to run a car down the road would cost.Good project though,and I hope you get it figured out.
    Guy

Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
    Millermatic Challenger Mig
    Century 230/140 amp AC/DC Stick
    DeVilbiss 6Hp 60Gal.
    HF Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    HF 6in. Belt 9in. Disc Sander
    HF pipe bender
    HF tubing roller
    Springfield machine tool co. 14X40 lathe