FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1995 Toyota Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by arandall View Post
    Matteh99:
    I've always thought that a nice hemi V8 out of a Toyota, or Nissan truck would be a really nice engine for a hot-rod/street-rod. The traditional small block chevy guys would have their noses out of joint, but that would be half the fun of it, aside from having a very sweet running ride.
    It would probably be a bit more work because there are so many parts out there for domestic stuff. Started customizing my old BMW motorcycle for the same reason. Everyone does Harley's.

Eric
    Longevity LC-520D (ordered, Delivered, works great)
    Longevity Pro-Black Welding helmet, works great
    Pexto 137 shear (my latest toy)

Personal website
    www.howhardcanitbe.tv

Where I work.
    www.roadinosaur.com
    www.mattsrepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by arandall View Post
    Matteh99:
    I've always thought that a nice hemi V8 out of a Toyota, or Nissan truck would be a really nice engine for a hot-rod/street-rod. The traditional small block chevy guys would have their noses out of joint, but that would be half the fun of it, aside from having a very sweet running ride.
    If they can't like it for what it is... well, you know.

1uzfe w/ itb's and 180* headers make for a screamer.

Quick clip.

YouTube - 1UZ Toyota V8 with ITBs

How's the truck coming along?

if the frames not too bad off you could media blast it and and hit it with a coating
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/
    Bunch of tools of the trade to much to list
    http://instagram.com/weldor_wes/

The frame behind the rear axle is pretty bad so I am going to have to fix it. I banged around with a chipping hammer and the places were it didn't just go right through it made dents pretty easily.

I haven't done any work on it yet because I don't have another vehicle on the road. I have a little car and a motorcycle but they are both parked until the snow goes away.

Maybe I could lower it and put in one of those 1UZ engines.. I wouldn't do it now because I need my truck to be a truck.

Eric

Personal website
    www.howhardcanitbe.tv

Where I work.
    www.roadinosaur.com
    www.mattsrepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by matteh99 View Post
    The frame behind the rear axle is pretty bad so I am going to have to fix it. I banged around with a chipping hammer and the places were it didn't just go right through it made dents pretty easily.
    My first car had the same problem. '79 Z-28. Was taking a rubber mallet down the side of the car to see where I had to start on the body. about a foot behind the rear wheel, it sank in all the way to the handle.

Maybe I could lower it and put in one of those 1UZ engines.. I wouldn't do it now because I need my truck to be a truck.
    For the Taco, I'd just keep it a cheap reliable 4cyl driver. Save your money for what you really want, you'll never get it back out of most projects with wheels.

That has a full frame ladder system to the back so if you were to take a needle scaler at the rust you would clean it up a great deal and it would show you how bad it is, not to worry getting a back end at a recycler would be easy to splice in the parts.I was taught to do full frame splices 60/40, and leave the weld proud.Back their you should be able to butt the peices in straight up and down.
    1 Longevity LS 200PI & Stand
    Thermal Arc 190 Mig w Chasiss
    3 Victor Pro O/A Torches, Journeyman Torches
    Blue Point Stud Welder
    12" x 6 Power Hacksaw
    6x1/2,8x3/4, Bench Grinders on Stands
    1" Belt Grinder on Stand
    13 Grinders Makita & Bluepoint
    Snap On Tools & 65 Anniversary Box

Nick,
    I don't plan on customising the truck at all. I have never been a fan of custom trucks. Trucks are more for practical stuff in my mind. Cars and motorcycles are more fun.

I will post pictures once I start really tearing it apart. I am looking forward to motorcycle weather so I have an alternate vehicle

Eric

Personal website
    www.howhardcanitbe.tv

Where I work.
    www.roadinosaur.com
    www.mattsrepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by matteh99 View Post
    Nick,
    I don't plan on customising the truck at all. I have never been a fan of custom trucks. Trucks are more for practical stuff in my mind. Cars and motorcycles are more fun.

I will post pictures once I start really tearing it apart. I am looking forward to motorcycle weather so I have an alternate vehicle

Eric
    I'm not at all against modding vehicles given the right outlook. I'll agree with you on the average "it's just a truck" trucks. If I were going to play with one it'd have to be 50's/60's.

I know too many people with tens of thousands tied up in projects that wind up owning them in place of the other way around. ie - Local buddy with 10k+ worth of body work on a 2dr civic that got a nasty shock when he wound up losing something like 14k when he decided to finally sell.

I'm not immune though, still looking at 7-10k to round out one of my own in terms of parts. (Way down the road....)

Ditto on bike season, though I may sell this year. Need to get her cleaned up and ready.

Looking forward to seeing your teardown. These guys can funnel a few centuries worth of experience your way when it comes time to important decisions.

Repaired a few frames on these. As long as you are at it check around and behind the steering box as well they liked to rust there once in a while.
    In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him , for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
    I am a revolutionary...so my son can be a farmer...so his son can be a poet. If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, so my child may have peace

Longevity Plasma 40D
    Hobart Handler 120
    Miller spoolmate 200 with Al gun
    Esab MM 250
    HF 48" belt sander
    2HP drill press

Clean looking truck. Any updates on it yet?
    Millermatic 180 auto set
    Oxy Propane