FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: Cutting and welding gavinized metal

Cutting and welding gavinized metal

I seem to remember something about toxic issues with burning and/or welding metal with a galvanized coating. Are there any precautions I should be aware of besides basic good ventilation? Thanks.
    Weldall 200PI, Longevity Pro auto-darkening hemet, HF 120amp stick welder (retired), Quincy 60 gallon 5hp air compressor, Iron Mike power hack saw, HF 42144 3-in-1 , 20 ton press, and a screw driver but I'm not sure where I left it...

http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/s...nt-chrome.html <-----click the link.... it is biased more towards hex chrome, but gal. has hex chrome in it.... there is also some discussion in regards to simple galvanized.... you dont wanna breathe it for sure, i have known fellow welders that have died from metal fume fever
    Torchmate 5 x 10 custom built CNC table
    6 (each) Thermadyne 252i mig/ stick/ tig
    Thermal Dynamics a-60 automated cutter
    Thermal cutmaster 52 handheld cutter
    '07 pro300 miller
    '08 275 trailblazer miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    12vs extreme suitcase feeder
    2 (each) xr-a 50 foot push-pull feeders (for aluminum mig)
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304
    (do i REALLY need to keep going?)

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

www.sicfabrications.com

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I'm racking my brain trying to remember everything I've forgoet about burning metal. I'm getting too old to neglect the safety factors that I use to ignore.
    Weldall 200PI, Longevity Pro auto-darkening hemet, HF 120amp stick welder (retired), Quincy 60 gallon 5hp air compressor, Iron Mike power hack saw, HF 42144 3-in-1 , 20 ton press, and a screw driver but I'm not sure where I left it...

One of the safest brands of Galvanized conduit to weld is the Allied brand. I use the conduit a lot in my projects. It has a process that coats it with 99% zinc and not hot dipped. The process is Flo-Coat. Check out the video link.

Allied Tube & Conduit - Welding Tube Safety - YouTube

"Zinc Galvanized Flo-Coat. Our tube is galvanized as it is being run at the mill. It is a triple coated tube that has zinc, chromate and a clear polymer coating that locks everything in. Yes more than half our customers weld on the tube. It is 99% lead free so it has noxious fumes, but not toxic fumes".
    Ron "Steelpix" Hogan
    HF Ban saw
    HF tubing roller
    HF 90 amp Flux core welder
    MigWeld 140
    HF tubing notcher

I try my best to avoid it all together. It's not worth getting sick over. If you do go ahead with it not recommended make sure your doing it outside so you have good ventilation. And keep your head out of the fumes.

I wouldn't do it all though maybe find a way around it it's not safe.

Just reviving this thread to share my experience.

I have welded a number of projects using Zinc galvanized pipes, just made sure I have lots of ventilation and would use a 3M respirator under my hood so not to inhale the toxic fumes. I usually do some grinding on every joints or parts to be welded to minimize the deadly or foul fumes.

Zinc galvanized pipes are most commonly used here in our country for gate frames, railings, roof trusses, flat bed truck roofing frames and many more besides the usual angle irons.
    HiTronic 300 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Cut Off Saw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted angle grinders : DeWALT, MAKITA, BLACK&DECKER, BOSCH, MILWAUKEE
    Assorted clamps, vises, and PPEs

-----------------------------------
    Dreaming of a MIG, a TIG welder and a PLASMA Cutter.

Anything other than plain old mild steel and you should have decent ventilation - better safe than sorry i think.
    Custom 2x4 CNC plasma table - www.hotrodfab.com
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 Plasma
    TA 211i with TIG torch/Pedal and spoolgun
    MK Morse Metal Devil 14" saw
    12" disc sander
    1961 Buffalo forge no.15 Floor standing drillpress
    My brain - a fairly useful tool on occasion..