FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: Piranha Tungsten Grinders from Diamond Ground

Piranha Tungsten Grinders from Diamond Ground

What is the word on Piranha Tungsten Electrode grinders? They are at http://www.diamondground.com and look pretty robust, but I'd like to get feedback from ya'll. Great site BTW!

Re: Piranha Tungsten Grinders from Diamond Ground

I just chuck mine in an electric drill and grind them on my bench grinder when spinning in the drill, that works well. Use a mask though, the thoriated tungsten is slightly radioactive.
    Gadget
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

I just bought a cheap 6 inch bench grinder at Tractor Supply (use it for tungsten only) and do like Gadget does, chuck them up in a cordless drill.

Ed

Do you use any special wheels? Also, anybody try their Tri-Mix tungsten, I just requested some free samples, but it seems like a neat idea.

I just use the standard wheel that came with the grinder. Seems to work just fine.

Gadget
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

the piranha is an absolutely great machine. It is really only for the industial shop due to its 1300 and up price tag. I had one at work and it sharpens the tungsten just so perfect you have no idea. The point is so sharp its like a needle and they are very consistant. You can adjust the angle of the grind as well. I used it alot when i was welding .020 stainless steel. I had a tolerence of .010 and i had about 12 inches of welding on these parts. The piranha deffinatly helped due to its sharp points it puts on the tungsten. Great machine but not for the average person. If you go to their website check out their free samples and also they have unbeatable prices on tungsten.