FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plain old solid shade helmet?

Plain old solid shade helmet?

I am using a solid #10 shade helmet after being blinded repeatedly by the autodarkening HF helmet I had. So far with the practice welding I've been doing the solid shade works great. Is a good autodarkening helmet really worth the extra money if I don't seem to have any issues with the solid lense?
    Longevity Weldall 200PI
    Husky 5.5HP(1.7HP) 32 gallon oilless compressor
    Shoptask Shopmaster Eldorado Combo Mill/Drill/Lathe with DRO and inop CNC
    48" Pan and Box brake
    Gottrikes.com tube bender under construction
    About 1 million misc. tools

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

First off the HF helmets and all helmets have UV protection even when the lens is open. That doesn't mean you won't have issues seeing after that big flash. the big advantage of the AD helmet is you don't lose your position due to having to bob your head to lower the hood. That's really the biggest reason to use the AD units.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

in a production atmosphere, the guy wearing the auto lens is gonna FLY by the guy wearing a passive filter.... it is what it is.... you gotta do your research on a lens before you buy one.... your eyes are NOT something to skate by on... you bought a harbor freight hood, you deserve the dry eyes that ya got....just sayin...

as for me and mine? i pay close to 400+ bucks for my hoods...making sure that the throat guard extends long enough to touch my chest and the lens is of the proper quality to withstand a certain amount of use
    Torchmate 5 x 10 custom built CNC table
    6 (each) Thermadyne 252i mig/ stick/ tig
    Thermal Dynamics a-60 automated cutter
    Thermal cutmaster 52 handheld cutter
    '07 pro300 miller
    '08 275 trailblazer miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    12vs extreme suitcase feeder
    2 (each) xr-a 50 foot push-pull feeders (for aluminum mig)
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304
    (do i REALLY need to keep going?)

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

www.sicfabrications.com

So basically in a strictly Hobby/seldom use environment the solid lense will do just fine? I don't have any issue flipping down the hood when I have to. The harbor freight helmet was bought probably 5 or six years ago with my first welder and I didn't know jack. I just don't think at this point an AD helmet is right for me for the expense of buying a high end unit. I just don't weld enough to justify it yet.
    Longevity Weldall 200PI
    48" Pan and Box brake

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Ascinder: i have thought about trying the AD hood. I've never used anything but the pipeliner hoods since the beginning of my career (71'). Don

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I really have had nothing but trouble with the AD hoods vs. nothing but solid performance from the "old" hoods. I just can't see where it's that much of an advantage for the vast majority of work I do. Crawling around inside airplane frames and other tight/restrictive spaces I see a benefit, but anywhere else, it's neat but not a dealbreaker for me.
    Longevity Weldall 200PI
    48" Pan and Box brake

I had some trouble with my Longevity AD helmet while TIG welding until I discovered the sensitivity knob above the lens. When it was turned down I kept getting flashed. I turned up the sensitivity and now it works a lot better.

It worked fine for stick and mig welding at the lower setting.

Eric
    Longevity LC-520D (ordered, Delivered, works great)
    Longevity Pro-Black Welding helmet, works great
    Pexto 137 shear (my latest toy)

Personal website
    www.howhardcanitbe.tv

Where I work.
    www.roadinosaur.com
    www.mattsrepair.com

Solid shade hoods are fine for the hobby user and many professional welders still use em. Autodarkening hoods are getting cheaper now days. I have a hobart hood that I really like I got it for around $80 on sale a few years back. If you go to your LWS they should also have some reasonably priced AD hoods starting around $70 now. The sensitivity setting is very important. I can make my hood darken when I look at one of my 250watt mercury lights in my shop.
    Mike
    Krusemark Custom cars
    Shop Equipment:
    52x16 gauge tennsmith foot shear
    48x16 gauge Mitler Bros ultimate box and pan brake
    16" large radial arm saw (for steel)
    Hobart handler 140
    12x7 horizontal band saw
    Longevity tigweld 250
    w/ everlast watercooler
    Longevity migweld 250P
    Everlast power plasma 70
    Harbor Freight large metal shrinker strecher
    I have used and own a lot more equipment than this.

tomsign
    I'm a firm believer in if you have a pair of $10 eyes buy a $10 hood, just remember you only have one set

Tomsign

I have my AD hood adjusted so that looking at 2-40 watt florescent bulbs will darken it. Don't get rid of your old standard helmet, the AD helmets do not work in the cold weather. They are all different, mine says 17 deg F. is the cut off point.
    keith
    The older the Boys, the more expensive the TOYS
    Previously Owned equipment;
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    2 Longevity autodarking helmets
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI