FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: Generator Woes

Generator Woes

Today 10/26/10 in Chicago we had very high winds and we lost power. This should not have been a problem because we have a automatic back up generator. The generator did not work!
    There was very little rain, just wind so I checked out the generator and found that the battery was shot....the battery was corroded beyond belief. Replaced the battery and all is good.

The moral to the story....Maintence!! Maintence!! Maintence!!
    keith
    The older the Boys, the more expensive the TOYS
    Previously Owned equipment;
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    2 Longevity autodarking helmets
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

Hope everything is OK now Keith.

Art R.
    Cheers,
    Art R.

Longevity LS200-PI multi-purpose cutter/welder,
    Miller 180 Auto-Set MIG,
    Custom 5hp compressor,

I planed to work on the Gen Welder project today but the house generator got in the way. Now yes all is good Art.
    keith
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

My system which has a broken dizzy gear at them moment starts up once a week and runs for half an hour to keep things ready for action. The problem is that I purchased it used, and it has more hours of weekly test runs than actual useage. I would think that a trickel charger could be setup that would test the battery with a load once a week to see if it is holding charge.
    "Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the only one that can be mass-produced with unskilled labor"
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

Have ForceCut80I, Precision TIG 185, Ideal Arc 250, Oxy-Acetylene, Tig welding Chamber, 14 Ton pipe bender, 20 Ton press, Electric sheet metal shear, 12 inch- 0.125 Shear, 12 inch Metal Band Saw, Power Hack Saw, Abrasive Chop Saws, 2 Mills, 5 Lathes, and lots of other items

Yes mine has the exercise feature as well and has a trickle charger too. I had it set to manual because I was tired of it running once a week for no real reason. The idea was to manually start it once a month, naturally that did not happen....
    keith
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

I'm with you, when I find the part I need, I am going to set her to manual and just try the once a month operation. The actual reason I purchased it was to use drag a good welder into the woods and fix 4x4's which tend to die in the worst locations. Since I purchased it, I have stayed out of the woods.
    "Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the only one that can be mass-produced with unskilled labor"
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

Have ForceCut80I, Precision TIG 185, Ideal Arc 250, Oxy-Acetylene, Tig welding Chamber, 14 Ton pipe bender, 20 Ton press, Electric sheet metal shear, 12 inch- 0.125 Shear, 12 inch Metal Band Saw, Power Hack Saw, Abrasive Chop Saws, 2 Mills, 5 Lathes, and lots of other items