FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: spray, globular, short circuit transfer

spray, globular, short circuit transfer

here it is, as promised......

your voltage controls the length of the arc and your wire speed changes the amperage... thus creating the amperage curve that you might have heard about on mig machines. coded procedure according to aws and asme for structural is 200 amps for solid wire mig using .035 wire and 75/25 mix (aka c-25)

you must also kinda understand the different mixes of argon and co2 and what they bring to the table

spray transfer:

when in spray transfer, the wire actually melts before it reaches the parent metal and "sprays" into the puddle. its very clean and does not have the popping sound commonly heard with mig machines. in order to achieve true spray transfer, you must have a gas mix of no more than 10% co2 and no more than 90% argon (c-10)..... this and globular are the only 2 methods recognized by the aws as coded procedure.

globular:

the wire melts as it comes out of the contact tip, but does not achieve a fully melted state....kinda like it forms small balls or melted wire and spits them into the puddle... this is a very turbulent puddle and lottsa spatter... globular can be reached with c-25 mix

short circuit:

is exactly that, the wire hits the parent metal, short circuiting itself out on the weld area or puddle, melting off... this is the frying bacon sound, it leaves a ridged bead, and has little or no cleaning action from the arc. i used SS transfer on ultra light materials. SS transfer will also gain you cold laps and incomplete fusion on multiple passes...

hope that i have explained that one enough for some to understand
    Last edited by Gadget; 03-06-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    Torchmate 5 x 10 custom built CNC table
    6 (each) Thermadyne 252i mig/ stick/ tig
    Thermal Dynamics a-60 automated cutter
    Thermal cutmaster 52 handheld cutter
    '07 pro300 miller
    '08 275 trailblazer miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    12vs extreme suitcase feeder
    2 (each) xr-a 50 foot push-pull feeders (for aluminum mig)
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304
    (do i REALLY need to keep going?)

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by SICFabrications View Post

spray transfer:

when in spray transfer, the wire actually melts before it reaches the parent metal and "sprays" into the puddle. its very clean and does not have the popping sound commonly heard with mig machines. in order to achieve true spray transfer, you must have a gas mix of no more than 10% co2 and no more than 90% argon (c-10)..... this and globular are the only 2 methods recognized by the aws as coded procedure.

You have to have a machine that can preform this function and not just change the gas on a plain old MiG welder right? Thanks for the help.
    Longevity WeldMax 520D
    HF Dual MIG 151
    O/A Torch

true, a small mig machine wont accomplish spray transfer, unless you find some super small wire
    '07 pro300 miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304

www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by SICFabrications View Post
    true, a small mig machine wont accomplish spray transfer, unless you find some super small wire

What I mean't was do some machines have a setting on them for Spary Transfer? or do you just switch the gas and turn up the amps to accomplish spray transfer? Thanks
    Longevity WeldMax 520D
    HF Dual MIG 151
    O/A Torch

I have a Powermig 255... I know it isn't a spray machine but is it a globular or just short circuit?
    Just Sensible Concepts
    *Longevity Weldall 160PI (technically it's not mine but it is on MY inventory for my shop at work)
    Lincoln Weldanpower 200
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln AC225

Quote Originally Posted by weldingtwopotatoes View Post
    What I mean't was do some machines have a setting on them for Spary Transfer? or do you just switch the gas and turn up the amps to accomplish spray transfer? Thanks
    ive not ever seen a switch for spray transfer other than voltage above 27 (this is for .035 solid wire and c-10 mix) and wire feed speed above 450.... will prolly be running about 250 amps in spray..... and it's HOT down there next to that puddle

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    I have a Powermig 255... I know it isn't a spray machine but is it a globular or just short circuit?
    power mig 255, lincoln, yeah? 250 amps? ive not been much of a fan of lincoln machines, therefore, my mindset isnt right....meaning, i cant call up from memory machine specs.....

that machine (if its the one i am thinking of) will hit pray transfer, but only for a very short time (duty cycle)..... basically, you can, but yer gonna melt it down... it will easily reach globular tho...

if i can remember, i think you shoul set that one to 24.5 volts using c-25 and have another person adjust wire speed while you are running a bead on scrap, and have them turn the wfs up until the machine hits 200 amps (volt amp curve) and you should be right in the sweet spot for globular transfer.....

i will tell ya that if you arent on 1/4 and larger, you will cut whatever metal like you were using a plasma powered saw =))
    '07 pro300 miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304

www.sicfabrications.com

So the spray transfer is ideal? I just purchased an Arcmate 160 and I am very new to MIG welding. I have a spool of .030" solid wire (Speedarc L-56) and 75ar/25co welding gas. What kind of welds would I expect to achieve with this machine?

it wont go into spray transfer, but will get into globular transfer... short circuit has its place as well, especially on thin and light gauge material
    '07 pro300 miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304

www.sicfabrications.com

Gadget can you sticky this ?
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/
    Bunch of tools of the trade to much to list
    http://instagram.com/weldor_wes/

Sticky like fly paper now WW.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw