FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: Older Onan

Older Onan

Hello, I have an older Onan 50AMP at 220V generator. The gear that drives the points on the engine has broken teeth. The points were made by FairBank Morris. Can anyone tell me if or how to get parts. I have searched the web etc, but have no hits. I am thinking about welding new teeth on, but am worried it won’t be as strong as the original.

Thanks
    Iggy
    "Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the only one that can be mass-produced with unskilled labor"
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

Have ForceCut80I, Precision TIG 185, Ideal Arc 250, Oxy-Acetylene, Tig welding Chamber, 14 Ton pipe bender, 20 Ton press, Electric sheet metal shear, 12 inch- 0.125 Shear, 12 inch Metal Band Saw, Power Hack Saw, Abrasive Chop Saws, 2 Mills, 5 Lathes, and lots of other items

it wont be as strong as thr original.... the gear and teeth after machining are then case hardened for strength and durability... stop looking on-line for these parts, and find an old electric motor repair house (they usually all will have a few older onan engines around for parts....trust me) and if you cant find what you need there, then off you go to the Cummins big truck engine dealer.... dodge cant help you.... you gotta go to the big truck cummins place....

they own onan and have owned them for a long time.... you will be surprised at the amount of parts that are still in production. however, they dont inventory online, therefore, you wont be able to find those rare parts..... online......
    Torchmate 5 x 10 custom built CNC table
    6 (each) Thermadyne 252i mig/ stick/ tig
    Thermal Dynamics a-60 automated cutter
    Thermal cutmaster 52 handheld cutter
    '07 pro300 miller
    '08 275 trailblazer miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    12vs extreme suitcase feeder
    2 (each) xr-a 50 foot push-pull feeders (for aluminum mig)
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304
    (do i REALLY need to keep going?)

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

www.sicfabrications.com

Thanks, I never thought about who might own them now.
    "Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the only one that can be mass-produced with unskilled labor"
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

Have ForceCut80I, Precision TIG 185, Ideal Arc 250, Oxy-Acetylene, Tig welding Chamber, 14 Ton pipe bender, 20 Ton press, Electric sheet metal shear, 12 inch- 0.125 Shear, 12 inch Metal Band Saw, Power Hack Saw, Abrasive Chop Saws, 2 Mills, 5 Lathes, and lots of other items

cummins bought out onan years ago.... (one of the reasons why onan has lost out in popularity in the small engine world... cummins has run onan into the dirt) however, thats what you will have to do to find parts for one
    Torchmate 5 x 10 custom built CNC table
    6 (each) Thermadyne 252i mig/ stick/ tig
    Thermal Dynamics a-60 automated cutter
    Thermal cutmaster 52 handheld cutter
    '07 pro300 miller
    '08 275 trailblazer miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    12vs extreme suitcase feeder
    2 (each) xr-a 50 foot push-pull feeders (for aluminum mig)
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304
    (do i REALLY need to keep going?)

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

www.sicfabrications.com