FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what's the dumbest safety related story you have witnessed to date?

Ouch! That reminds me - I haven't yet built the belt guard for my compressor. - Guess I'd better give it some thought.
    Cheers,
    Art R.

Longevity LS200-PI multi-purpose cutter/welder,
    Miller 180 Auto-Set MIG,
    Custom 5hp compressor,

Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    It through my hand into a little metal bracket that held the cover on and chipped the bone on my middle knuckle on my left hand.Its been a little over a month now and it hurts more now than it did the day i did it.So you know the moral of this story.
    Always a fun one when it's in a spot that sees constant movement / use. Like breaking one of the little bones in your feet... (metatarsals / cuneiforms)... And all they do is tell you to stay off of it. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Yeah, let someone else inspect it next time.
    I know who I'm convincing to open the doors of cars stored in the field next time to find the foot long hornet nests...
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Always a fun one when it's in a spot that sees constant movement / use. Like breaking one of the little bones in your feet... (metatarsals / cuneiforms)... And all they do is tell you to stay off of it. -_-

I know who I'm convincing to open the doors of cars stored in the field next time to find the foot long hornet nests...
    My doc said try not to hurt it anymore and it will heal faster.Yea right, it's my hand.That's a hard prescription to fill for me.
    Guy

Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
    Millermatic Challenger Mig
    Century 230/140 amp AC/DC Stick
    DeVilbiss 6Hp 60Gal.
    HF Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    HF 6in. Belt 9in. Disc Sander
    HF pipe bender
    HF tubing roller
    Springfield machine tool co. 14X40 lathe

Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    My doc said try not to hurt it anymore and it will heal faster.Yea right, it's my hand.That's a hard prescription to fill for me.

I know the feeling. I popped one of those long named suckers in my foot right as I was in the middle of trying to build up to comfortably walking 36 holes a day. Not exactly conducive to anything other than hopping down the hallway to hit the bathroom. -_-
    Full hand tool assortment, collecting sheet metal hammers/dollies, more time than money.

I must have been about 7 and was toying with a bit of spring steel. Figured it would suit my purposes better if it was a bit shorter than it was. Took a pair of side cutting pliers to it and the cut end flew up towards my eyes. After slowly opening my eyes, I carefully went to the mirror and saw the end embedded in the skin just left of my right eye. Dodged a bullet that time. Unfortunately, some of the dumbest safety related stories I know are the ones I experienced first hand ....
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Well I have mine to share and for sure its so dumb and stupid. I guess I was in my early twenties and decided to cut an over extending tree branch of about 8" or 10" in diameter near our house. What I did was set up the 20 foot wooden ladder on the branch, went up the ladder and started sawing the branch and not realizing I was cutting the portion where the ladder was positioned, so I just continued cutting until I reached more than half way of the diameter of that branch and it started to break and whoaah ! what do you think happened ? the quite large branch broke and the remaining portion of the branch connected to the trunk snap back up and the three of us started going down coming from about 18' above. What do I mean by the three of us, well the tree branch, the ladder and the stupid me, thank God I did not broke an arm or a limb, landed on the ground on my right arm and back and up to this day every time I'd remember that incident I'd say to my self always such stupidity and dumb act and would laugh at my self.

Wow. That's quite a fall. You are very lucky you didn't break anything! LOL. Great to be able to look back and laugh about it. Could have been much worse.

Had the wire brush on the grinder get away from me last week, luckily I had an undershirt on so it bound up on my work shirt before getting through. Also glad it was the cheap 4a hf grinder and not one of the 7.5a milwaukee's.
    Tyler

HH140
    lincoln buzzbox

I started wearing my leather apron after seeing what a flying wire off a wire cup did to someone here. That and a full face mask.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I started wearing my leather apron after seeing what a flying wire off a wire cup did to someone here. That and a full face mask.
    Was that when it landed in his lap? Yeah, that scared me too!