FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What size 220V Wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Fredfrom Orygun View Post
    Recently extended my Dad's small shop , so We ended up moving the welding equipment to the new side thus needed to extend the electrical also . Maybe overkill , but I ran 6/3 for the entire run of about 28' from sub panel to welder outlet . But that is the way I do stuff . I do it once , maybe overkill , but I don't have to go back and do it again Later .

Fred
    Are you running a Three Phase Welding outlet??
    Why 6/3?
    Was unsure if you meant you were running the 6/3 to new sub panel or an actual welding outlet??
    Last edited by Nathan Stiltner; 12-08-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    If you can see it, You can weld it.........

Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln Magnum SG 100 Spool Gun
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42
    H.F. Horizontal Band Saw
    H.F. Tubing Bender
    H.F. 48'' Sheet Metal Brake
    Sync180 Tube Notcher
    Grizzly Drill Press
    Northern Industrial 14'' Dry Cut Saw
    To Many Angle Grinders (yeah right)
    To many Hand Tools (ditto)
    28'' x 48'' x 1/2'' Top Welding Table
    Not near enough Shop Space

when i did the 80 foot run i used 6/3
    2 hots and a neutral and a ground
    pulling that thru conduit was not fun
    that was split up into a 20 amp 110 circuit
    and 2 30 amp 220 circuits
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/
    Bunch of tools of the trade to much to list
    http://instagram.com/weldor_wes/

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Stiltner View Post
    Are you running a Three Phase Welding outlet??
    Why 6/3?
    Was unsure if you meant you were running the 6/3 to new sub panel or an actual welding outlet??
    6/3 is recommended for a 50 amp service. It is overkill for many of the smaller units running 220, but the difference in cost over the years is negligible.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX

6 - 3 sounds like you just used Romex type wire, If thats the case you will be fine, the only trouble you might have is if romex is pulled through conduit, thats a no no, as the romex type of wire needs to breath, Inspectors dont like to see romex inside of conduit. And will make you pull it.
    10x36 Atlas W/QC
    Miller Maxstar 200
    ran out of garage
    space years ago
    Cheers

Yes , Romex , ( Well it was 6/3 insulated wire then sheathed inside another outside protective cover ) . Not through conduit , ugh , but from sub-panel up through stud wall , to welding outlet in new addition . Basically wanted to be able to run whatever at full power if needed . Anything from Brothers miller 212 , my dads arc welder , or my brothers 50 amp plasma . Think the 212 only pulls 34 or 36 amps at maxed out , but plasma is better than 40 I think , and heck neither of Us had any idea what kind of juice that 40 year old arc welder pull's , So bigger was better or Safer we hoped . Got it at a local plumbing and electrical place . Set us up with everything we needed , from the wire to the plug and cover on the other end , which is a regular 50 amp welder plug .

Fred
    Welder : SP 135 Plus Lincoln Mig
    NEW Longevity MigWeld 200S
    Milwaukee Chop saw
    Off Brand Import 50 amp Plasma Cutter
    60 gal. Home Depot Air Compressor
    Assorted grinders and to many hand tools to list .

New Holland TC30 HST Tractor With some Factory made implements and some homemade

Started Welding ( Arc and Oxy-Acet ) in junior high early '70's , Could never get the hang of gas welding , likely Can't Tig worth a darn either .

Oops did not see question about size wire to sub panel . That wire is pretty close to same size wire that feeds my Dads main breaker box from the meter . Main Breaker box is a replacement of old fuse box that was originally in the house . So when breaker box was added , so was the sub panel and wiring to that panel . Not sure what size breaker is feeding the sub panel as we did not mess with that end , We just took out the short , possibly 8/3 wire feeding a outlet by the sub panel and replaced with the 6/3 up through the wall to our welder outlet . We then changed that original welder outlet over to a 110/120 outlet with some extra 10/3 we had from wiring the lights and outlets in the new addition .

Fred
    Welder : SP 135 Plus Lincoln Mig
    NEW Longevity MigWeld 200S
    Milwaukee Chop saw
    Off Brand Import 50 amp Plasma Cutter
    60 gal. Home Depot Air Compressor
    Assorted grinders and to many hand tools to list .

New Holland TC30 HST Tractor With some Factory made implements and some homemade

Started Welding ( Arc and Oxy-Acet ) in junior high early '70's , Could never get the hang of gas welding , likely Can't Tig worth a darn either .

Quote Originally Posted by WookieWelding View Post
    when i did the 80 foot run i used 6/3
    2 hots and a neutral and a ground
    pulling that thru conduit was not fun
    that was split up into a 20 amp 110 circuit
    and 2 30 amp 220 circuits
    Thats what I assumed he meant.. Using the 6/3 to feed a sub panel. And the extra wire to carry the neutral also so he could also have 110 to run whatever else on and have a couple of 220volt circuits as well....Just confused me about the extra wire just for a welder outlet.. I have 6/3 running to my 12'x24' shed out back here at home protected by a 50amp breaker to have two 30amp 220 circuits and six 110volt circuits in the shed and that pretty much takes care of everything I need in there for my woodworking tools and light welding just fine..Got a 200amp dedicated service in my 30'x30' shop for doing all the other stuff on the vehicles and bigger projects on the welding end...
    If you can see it, You can weld it.........

Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln Magnum SG 100 Spool Gun
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42
    H.F. Horizontal Band Saw
    H.F. Tubing Bender
    H.F. 48'' Sheet Metal Brake
    Sync180 Tube Notcher
    Grizzly Drill Press
    Northern Industrial 14'' Dry Cut Saw
    To Many Angle Grinders (yeah right)
    To many Hand Tools (ditto)
    28'' x 48'' x 1/2'' Top Welding Table
    Not near enough Shop Space

He bound because of his license and if your house burnt down because if it was found by code to be undersized he would be held liable for it. The cost is penny's for the larger size wiring. The logic behind it is wire heating under load. 30+ years as a plant Electrician. If any of you have a question just ask I be happy to answer it if I can.

Here is a pic:

Name:  9yFhPUS.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  33.0 KB
    Units owned:
    Longevity Stickweld 250
    Millermatic 211 Autoset/MVP
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Dodge Challenger

Aluminum wire is becoming popular again to run to panel because of copper prices. you need a bigger size and connection need a anti-oxidant on connection like Noalox.

Aluminum Wire amp rate
    #8 30 amps
    #6 40 amps
    #4 55 amps
    #2 75 amps
    #1 85 amps
    1/0 100 amps
    2/0 115 amps
    3/0 130 amps
    4/0 150 amps