FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What size 220V Wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamm View Post
    If your electician would only use 8, either it was a long run, he figured it would pull more than 30 amps on startup or he a bunch of 8 on his truck he needed to use up.
    Yup.... and or he's generally unfamiliar with welder stuff and knows that an easy upsize is good to do when in doubt.....
    mountain eagle
    longevity forcecut 50i
    miller econotig
    millermatic 185
    speedglas lid

or he thought that maybe a 20 amp 110 along with a 30 amp 220 would be nice on that #8
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/
    Bunch of tools of the trade to much to list
    http://instagram.com/weldor_wes/

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamm View Post
    There are a lot of things that effect the size you should use, like the length and load type. A given wire size has a rating and 10 will carry 30 amps. If your run gets too long, you need to go up a size. It's OK to go too big, but not too small. You have to match the breaker to the wire size. You can use a 30amp or less on 10 wire, but not anything larger.

If your electician would only use 8, either it was a long run, he figured it would pull more than 30 amps on startup or he a bunch of 8 on his truck he needed to use up.
    Welding machines are rated differently than standard appliances, and few electricians pay attention to this.
    4T or not 4T, that is the question.

Miller Model 88 250 amp AC, Miller MM210, Hobart HH187, Longevity Force Cut 42i, Longevity Tigweld 200EX

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Welding machines are rated differently than standard appliances, and few electricians pay attention to this.
    Anything in particular to watch out for?

Perhaps this reply is kinda late already since Bdub has done his wiring and did success with his plasma. Anyway for my welders, I use a stranded no.10 wire connected to a 60 amps safety switch box. Current here in our country has always been 220 - 240 volts.
    HiTronic 300 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Cut Off Saw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted angle grinders : DeWALT, MAKITA, BLACK&DECKER, BOSCH, MILWAUKEE
    Assorted clamps, vises, and PPEs

-----------------------------------
    Dreaming of a MIG, a TIG welder and a PLASMA Cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by roberts56 View Post
    Perhaps this reply is kinda late already since Bdub has done his wiring and did success with his plasma. Anyway for my welders, I use a stranded no.10 wire connected to a 60 amps safety switch box. Current here in our country has always been 220 - 240 volts.
    I didn't keep any of my links and they would be for US standards anyway. There are some tables and such for length of run, amps, voltage and what voltage drop you be expected to experience. You don't typically want the voltage drop to drop too much but if you are starting with 240 (as opposed to 220), you've got a bit of buffer there and.

I haven't looked into wire sizes since I rigged up my extension cord but 10 gauge wire for 60 amps sounds a bit thin. Of course, it depends on how long the run is and the duration of maximum amps you would be experiencing. Wouldn't want a fire like Gadget experienced when he was younger ....
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

THHN is rated for 40 amps, TW and UF is only rated to 30 for 10 gauge copper. You're headed for trouble if you try to push 60 amps.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

The link to the calculator in this thread is a rough estimate and it does seem to indicate that for shorter runs, 10 gauge seems suitable for 60 amps but when you get down to specific wire, Gadget is right, 60 amps is a whole lot of amperage and if you are pulling it all for any period of time, be sure you are using an appropriately sized and sheathed cable.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Recently extended my Dad's small shop , so We ended up moving the welding equipment to the new side thus needed to extend the electrical also . Maybe overkill , but I ran 6/3 for the entire run of about 28' from sub panel to welder outlet . But that is the way I do stuff . I do it once , maybe overkill , but I don't have to go back and do it again Later .

Fred
    Welder : SP 135 Plus Lincoln Mig
    NEW Longevity MigWeld 200S
    Milwaukee Chop saw
    Off Brand Import 50 amp Plasma Cutter
    60 gal. Home Depot Air Compressor
    Assorted grinders and to many hand tools to list .

New Holland TC30 HST Tractor With some Factory made implements and some homemade

Started Welding ( Arc and Oxy-Acet ) in junior high early '70's , Could never get the hang of gas welding , likely Can't Tig worth a darn either .

Just out of curiosity Fred, What size wire was going to the sub panel you pulled from?
    10x36 Atlas W/QC
    Miller Maxstar 200
    ran out of garage
    space years ago
    Cheers