FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What size 220V Wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by res0r9lm View Post
    Aluminum wire is becoming popular again to run to panel because of copper prices. you need a bigger size and connection need a anti-oxidant on connection like Noalox.

Aluminum Wire amp rate
    #8 30 amps
    #6 40 amps
    #4 55 amps
    #2 75 amps
    #1 85 amps
    1/0 100 amps
    2/0 115 amps
    3/0 130 amps
    4/0 150 amps
    Hi and welcome to the forum. We like pictures here so be sure to include some showing your work. Be sure to post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you. Also, keep an eye out for the next contest here. The odds of winning a great new Longevity machine are very good.
    Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Yeah, length of run would be my guess. Resistance is directly proportional length. And voltage is inversely proportional to resistance.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/adventuresinwelding
    AHP AlphaTig200x
    Longevity Migweld140
    Hypertherm Powermax45

Authorized Longevity Dealer dzljon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
    Ok guys, I need some help with wire size. I'm running a new 220V wire from my basement to the garage for my LC-520D. Reading many of the threads, it looks like 220 is the way to go. I have a good piece of 10g, but I'm wondering if I really need 8g. My run is approximately 35 feet. Also, what size breaker should I use? Thanks in advance.
    I use 6 gauge and 50 amp breaker
    Machines:

LONGEVITY 250EX 25' WELDCRAFT CS310 TORCH
    LONGEVITY FORCECUT 62i

TORCHMATE w/ FLASH CUT CNC controls

There is NEC code for welders (630.11 - 630.12) and in regards to a single welder.

For the conductor look on the back of welder there should be a rating plate look for the I1eff value that will be the minimum ampacity needed. The value is based on a combination of duty cycle and I1max
    The ampacity conductors shall not be less than the I1eff value supplied on the rating plate
    For overload protection (breaker): Shall be no more than 200% of of conductors ampacity.