Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inconel

Inconel

Hi all,

Any of you guys TIG welded "Inconel 600 sheet" x 2mm thick
    Looking for info on DOs and DON'Ts.

Thanks
    TabberGreenSmoking

Here is a PDF on Inconel with welding instructions near the bottom. Hope it helps.
    Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Thanks

Thanks for the info.
    Enough there to write a small book.

It really is but there is a paragraph or two near the bottom covering welding making it worth at least skimming through.
    Dan
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

I have only welded short pieces, but I treated it like it was stainless steel. I have two argon tanks, and made a cardboard box for the back with a second feed so the joint was completely covered. I always wanted to make a large glass box to put around the weld area to keep it flooded with argon.
    "Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the only one that can be mass-produced with unskilled labor"
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

Have ForceCut80I, Precision TIG 185, Ideal Arc 250, Oxy-Acetylene, Tig welding Chamber, 14 Ton pipe bender, 20 Ton press, Electric sheet metal shear, 12 inch- 0.125 Shear, 12 inch Metal Band Saw, Power Hack Saw, Abrasive Chop Saws, 2 Mills, 5 Lathes, and lots of other items

i weld inconel and monel with 90% argon 10 percent ultra pure helium with a back purge of 100% argon you kind of have to stay on the filler cause the puddle doesnt really like to flow its very sluggish
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/
    Bunch of tools of the trade to much to list
    http://instagram.com/weldor_wes/

do you like the 10% helium mix, wookie? have you tried a heavier mix, like 75/ 25 helium over argon with a argon backpurge? ive had good results this way, but helium is retarded expensive....
    Torchmate 5 x 10 custom built CNC table
    6 (each) Thermadyne 252i mig/ stick/ tig
    Thermal Dynamics a-60 automated cutter
    Thermal cutmaster 52 handheld cutter
    '07 pro300 miller
    '08 275 trailblazer miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    12vs extreme suitcase feeder
    2 (each) xr-a 50 foot push-pull feeders (for aluminum mig)
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304
    (do i REALLY need to keep going?)

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by SICFabrications View Post
    do you like the 10% helium mix, wookie? have you tried a heavier mix, like 75/ 25 helium over argon with a argon backpurge? ive had good results this way, but helium is retarded expensive....
    i run a mixer so i can change mixtures on the fly i use the 10% on the thinner stuff and 15-25% on thicker material depends on what kind of penetration i am getting on said material and yes ultra pure helium is retarded expensive but so are any Ultra Pure gases for that matter
    i have run 75/25 H over A on Aluminum will have to play around with that mixture on Inconel
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/

let me know if it works better.... ive always been told that helium puts more heat into the actual weld and makes the puddle a little more fluid.... i dont have a mixer, i have to buy the bottles pre-mixed. if you cant really tell much difference, i'll be switching pre-mixes.... quickly
    Torchmate 5 x 10 custom built CNC table
    6 (each) Thermadyne 252i mig/ stick/ tig
    Thermal Dynamics a-60 automated cutter
    Thermal cutmaster 52 handheld cutter
    '07 pro300 miller
    '08 275 trailblazer miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    12vs extreme suitcase feeder
    2 (each) xr-a 50 foot push-pull feeders (for aluminum mig)
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304
    (do i REALLY need to keep going?)

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by SICFabrications View Post
    let me know if it works better.... ive always been told that helium puts more heat into the actual weld and makes the puddle a little more fluid.... i dont have a mixer, i have to buy the bottles pre-mixed. if you cant really tell much difference, i'll be switching pre-mixes.... quickly
    The more Helium you add to the mix the Heat/penetration goes up .. I try to use only as much helium as required to get the penetration i am trying to achieve without getting a Weld that is too hot also in that keeping the HAZ to a minimum
    The puddle is still going to be sluggish that just the way the base material reacts when welded.. in theory with a higher mix you are going to be getting a Bigger HAZ
    I can turn my mixer up to that ratio and confirm when i get back to work
    Last edited by WookieWelding; 02-13-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    Ahp 200x tig acdc
    forcecut 42i
    Miller xmt350
    Lincoln LN-25
    Victor oxy/acetylene/