FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Alibre CAD

I'm no expert on CAD but the $97.00 version of Alibre CAD seems pretty functional to me.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

SpyGuy,

I've been using TurboCad Pro for close to 10 years. I started using it when I needed a program in my price range that I could insert aerial photos within drawings to do my drawing atop (if that makes sense). At the time, that is what I found and what worked for me. It seems to have gotten far better and I really don't have problems with bugs or other glitches and I mainly use it for only 2D drawings although I have drawn some 3D for a project I will perhaps someday build, but I really suck at it. I have version 15 and just got a flyer for an upgrade to 17 for $350 - which I cannot justify based on my use. What I have works for what I need and I am getting to the point I have no interest in trying to learn something else. I would suspect there are many other products out there that are just as good or better.

I have never used Alibre so I can't comment on it. I took a brief look at the IMSI/TurboCad forum discussions regarding their CAM product and I got the quick impression that I would rather follow the lead of Gadget on what he is using. If you are looking for a 2D drawing package you can probably download the current TurboCad package for their 15 or 30 day trial in case you retain some familiarity with it. I think my Pro package is almost the same as the basic inexpensive package in terms of 2D work with the exception of the image import ability that I needed.

TKing

I bought Vectric Cut3d, Vectric PhotoVcarve, and have the free Vector Art 3d Machinist for the CAM side of the equation and have generated some 3d machine code but haven't had time to run them on the machine yet to see how well they work. Hopefully, I will get time to do this next week and will post the results when I do.

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80

I recently replaced a failing system drive in the PC where I had TurboCad installed, and I have not yet re-installed it. So I had forgotten the version I was using. I just looked at the source disks: I started with Pro v8 and upgraded to Pro v9.2. I was miffed that the (expensive) upgrade didn't address any of the problems I was having with v8 (although I no longer remember what those bugs/issues were).

I definitely need 3D capabilities so a free or low-cost 2D program is not enough. Frankly, I can't imagine undergoing the steep learning curve of a program like TurboCad just for 2D drafting. When I need to do some basic 2D drafting, I just use Visio (mainly because it's fairly simple and it's what I have). It's not great for this purpose, but it's more than adequate for all of my 2D drafting tasks and it's quick and easy.
    HTP VersaMIG (purchased 1988 )
    Systematics MHG8 Spool Gun
    ---
    Campbell-Hausfeld 3.2HP 60 Gal Compressor (only single-stage )
    Enco 9x20 lathe
    Rong-Fu RF-30 Mill/Drill
    Grizzly 5x6 Bandsaw
    Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I'm no expert on CAD but the $97.00 version of Alibre CAD seems pretty functional to me.
    The essential (for me) features that are missing from the $97 standard version are:

- Standard Part Libraries
    - Direct Editing for push/pull modeling
    - Sheet metal modeling

The non-essential, but very-nice-to-have Pro features are:

- 2D PDF and Advanced 3D PDF Publishing
    - Photorealistic Rendering
    - First Pass Linear Static FEA
    - Intelligent part class and assembly class design
    ---
    Enco 9x20 lathe
    Rong-Fu RF-30 Mill/Drill
    Grizzly 5x6 Bandsaw
    Etc.

Here is a sample of my 3D CAD:

I did this in TurboCad Pro v9.2.

It's a model of my 9x20 lathe cross slide with my self-designed QCTP rigid mount (light blue) and oversized tool holder (green). All the parts in the drawing are complete 3D virtual objects duplicating their physical counterparts, then assembled into the final model. In fact, there are internal parts (e.g., the cross slide lead screw and nut) that are present in the model but not visible in the assembled view.
    ---
    Enco 9x20 lathe
    Rong-Fu RF-30 Mill/Drill
    Grizzly 5x6 Bandsaw
    Etc.

Have you tried MasterCam. Thats the program we used in the Machine Shop class I went through. I never got very deep into using the program but what little I used it wasnt bad. It writes the program into G codes for machining. We used it on a Fadal Mill and lathe which i cant remember the name of also a wire machine I cant remember the name of. I know there is also a way to import AutoCad programs over into it. It may be a little pricey for what you are looking at.
    Longevity 160P
    Miller 130 wire welder
    Lincoln Ranger 10,000
    Harris Torch set
    Grizzly 11x26 metal lathe

A little pricey is an understatement.

Atlas 10x36" lathe

Its a great program though. You can do the drawing, convert it to codes and then you can do a tool path and watch on the computer how it looks cutting the part.
    Longevity 160P
    Miller 130 wire welder
    Lincoln Ranger 10,000
    Harris Torch set
    Grizzly 11x26 metal lathe

BHardy,
    Training for it is pricey too. You have any tips on how to learn it?

Atlas 10x36" lathe