FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what type of gas is required for tig welding

Images
    Thanks

what type of gas is required for tig welding

I have heard many people say u should use shielding gas.Others say straight aragon. What do u guys suggest. I am new to this all so take it easy people thanks

Images
    Thanks
    Straight argon works well for most TIG welding including aluminum. If you do mostly aluminum a mix of helium and argon can be used but straight argon also works.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200
    Longevity WeldPro LS200PI (IGBT)
    Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw, O/A torch

Thanks
    Argon is shielding gas just to straighten that out. Back in the day the used helium and only
    helium to weld with. That is where tig welding originally got it's name. Heli-arc whic esab now owns. Anyway enough with the history we don't use helium anymore due to it's price mainly. Argon is always going to be used for you and most people. Helium is used with aluminum really thick aluminum. I use it for tig welding aluminum over 1/4 just makes the arc hotter so you get better pennetration. The only other situation you use it is in dc welding aluminum which again is for really thick sections. This is even more expensive because you need uhp helium. So pure argon is what you will be needing.

Images
    Thanks
    Oh someone at work told me shielding gas was a mixture of Aragon and carbon dioxide!!! But Arogan it is how much does this gas run on the market for?

Thanks
    Argon c02 mixes are a shielding gas just not for tig welding they are used in mig welding. As for price that all depends on the cylinder size if you own it and how much you use.

Images
    Thanks
    oh ok i will have to figure out what tank size i need!!! Thank you

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bradler451 View Post
    oh ok i will have to figure out what tank size i need!!! Thank you
    get one twice as big as you think you need and it will be about half the size you really should have. In other words, bigger is better. The cost of filling a 40 cf tank and 80cf tank is nearly the same. I have an 80 and wish I had at least a 125.
    Something to think about.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200
    Longevity WeldPro LS200PI (IGBT)
    Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw, O/A torch

Thanks
    Adget is right most of the time it's cheaper to fill a larger tank. My 60cf tank costs around 25 to fill but my 330 k size costs only 70 and it also depends where you are from I know people from different parts of the country that think I'm crazy paying that much and some paying more then that for a 60cf.

Images
    Thanks
    yeah i hear ya it just better to have more u just just have to use just enough to make it go slower then usual the right mixture so u dont waste alot!!

Images
    Thanks
    Not sure if I am following the near same cost thing. I guess I never payed attention and maybe need to relook at things next time I go to pick up gas. I always thought that gas was $X/cf, kind of like when filling your car. It's so much per gal. weather it is $5 or $50 dollars worth. Does this apply to only Argon or other gases such as oxygen? I would expect a slight price increase for a small bottle compared to a large one. Maybe argon is so cheap that they have to figure in the time it takes to fill a bottle?

If it wasn't the cost of the bottle I like to two smaller bottles then one large one so I don't have to stop when running out and having to run to town via a special trip. It's nice to slap a new one in and then refill when there is other things to do in town. For me the closest place that always has filled bottles is 45 minutes away. Have a rental store that is closer but lately you have to call ahead to make sure they have a full bottle in stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast