FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: PPE: Personal protective Equipment, Got any?

Quote Originally Posted by poodle View Post
    When the lawn mowing starts It's safety glasses and earplugs. No shorts and steel toes if you have them.
    Long ago when I lived in Virginia Beach, I had a large lawn. I would wear saety glasses and ear muffs when running my push lawn mower. Later I became friends with some neighbors across the street and they said they used to laugh at me because they said I looked like a geek. Oh well, I still have my eyesight and my hearing.
    HTP VersaMIG (purchased 1988 )
    Systematics MHG8 Spool Gun
    ---
    Campbell-Hausfeld 3.2HP 60 Gal Compressor (only single-stage )
    Enco 9x20 lathe
    Rong-Fu RF-30 Mill/Drill
    Grizzly 5x6 Bandsaw
    Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyGuy View Post
    Long ago when I lived in Virginia Beach, I had a large lawn. I would wear saety glasses and ear muffs when running my push lawn mower. Later I became friends with some neighbors across the street and they said they used to laugh at me because they said I looked like a geek. Oh well, I still have my eyesight and my hearing.
    Far better being safe than sorry ... in fact, after that magnet thread, I'm wondering if I should be wearing a cup full time .....
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

When grinding and cutting metals, I make sure I wear my face shields or goggles, an ear muffs and a leather apron, when metal working, have to be in steel toe shoes or boots plus work gloves. I have also a leather welding jacket that I seldom use since its always hot here in our country, I perspire a lot during welding so opted for a welding sleeves with welding gloves and etc,etc of these PPEs. One cannot be so complaisant during metal fabrications, accidents happen without any warning or notifications, hehehe !!

Here are some pics that I would like to share :

I'm impressed by how much you take safety seriously. When it is hot, it can be very tempting to omit some equipment. I've made my sleeves looser at the top of the sleeves to allow a little more air flow as I move. Little thing but need to keep comfortable.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

I usually always wear my auto-darkening welding helmet with a grinding feature for grinding, and always a paddle grinder rather than a switch one because if you lose control of it, it will automatically start slowing down. I have a buddy who was grinding a vertical piece of steel. The grinder wheel got stuck in between and fell back down on his face and busted him up real good. A simple grinding mask would of probably sufficed for protection, but he still would of taken a good beating. I opt for the rigidity of a polymer welding helmet when using a grinder. Same protection plus more.

I also keep a bucket of sand/dirt when working at home just in case any welding sparks or torch cause embers or anything to light on fire. That way I can just dump the bucket on it real quick and extinguish it.