FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tube coping calculator

Tube coping calculator

Here is a nice site for printing out tube coping patterns. If you don't have a notcher this will help you draw the coping cut path.

Tube Coping Calculator

Here is the calculator for a chop saw
    Chop saw coping calculator
    Last edited by Gadget; 11-28-2010 at 01:24 PM.
    Units owned Longevity PROmts 200

Force Cut LP80 plasma cutter
    Longevity auto dark welding helmet

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Craftsman 5HP 30 Gal compressor
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80
    Home built aluminum foundry, HF 4x6 bandsaw

Oh man, you are awesome for posting this. I have been looking for something just like this. I am going to be doing a rollcage on my VehiCROSS project and this will help eliminate quite a few potential errors.
    Longevity Weldall 200PI
    Husky 5.5HP(1.7HP) 32 gallon oilless compressor
    Shoptask Shopmaster Eldorado Combo Mill/Drill/Lathe with DRO and inop CNC
    48" Pan and Box brake
    Gottrikes.com tube bender under construction
    About 1 million misc. tools

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Glad it was helpful.

Atlas 10x36" lathe
    Home made CNC router/plasma/hot wire foam cutting, 3D printing table powered by Longevity Force Cut LP80

Gadget this should be a sticky. I do this manually with graph paper. Thanks
    Iggy
    "Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the only one that can be mass-produced with unskilled labor"
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

Have ForceCut80I, Precision TIG 185, Ideal Arc 250, Oxy-Acetylene, Tig welding Chamber, 14 Ton pipe bender, 20 Ton press, Electric sheet metal shear, 12 inch- 0.125 Shear, 12 inch Metal Band Saw, Power Hack Saw, Abrasive Chop Saws, 2 Mills, 5 Lathes, and lots of other items

It is now Iggy, thanks for the suggestion.
    Dan

Atlas 10x36" lathe

I did my four inch tubes with the plasma cutter. I drew up the notch at 90 deg by hand, then I made a template out of a four inch inside diameter pipe. Then I put some 1/4 - 20 bolts around the outside to clamp it. To use it you just line it up, then trace out the notch with the plasma cutter. I'll have to post a picture.
    "Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the only one that can be mass-produced with unskilled labor"
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

Have ForceCut80I, Precision TIG 185, Ideal Arc 250, Oxy-Acetylene, Tig welding Chamber, 14 Ton pipe bender, 20 Ton press, Electric sheet metal shear, 12 inch- 0.125 Shear, 12 inch Metal Band Saw, Power Hack Saw, Abrasive Chop Saws, 2 Mills, 5 Lathes, and lots of other items

Sounds like this is very useful. Pictures will help.
    keith
    The older the Boys, the more expensive the TOYS
    Previously Owned equipment;
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    2 Longevity autodarking helmets
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

A while ago someone posted a link to a calculator for how to make the cuts with a chop saw or something similar. This seems more accurate but slower for small stuff.

Eric
    Longevity LC-520D (ordered, Delivered, works great)
    Longevity Pro-Black Welding helmet, works great
    Pexto 137 shear (my latest toy)

Personal website
    www.howhardcanitbe.tv

Where I work.
    www.roadinosaur.com
    www.mattsrepair.com

The chop saw is only a close approximation. The curve is more complex and can be made with a hole saw. I made a fish-mouth jig to cut the frame rungs for my cobra frame. The jig has an inside diameter of 4 inches. I used 1/4-20 bolts to secure then trace the outline with my plasma cutter. It may be that I was just lucky, but it made a perfect fish-mouth. I made the cut about 1/16th over and just touched it with an angle grinder (almost like file to finish, but faster).
    Name:  Fishmouth2.jpg
Views: 4893
Size:  72.0 KB
    Apollo 11 W.V. Braun

Quote Originally Posted by matteh99 View Post
    A while ago someone posted a link to a calculator for how to make the cuts with a chop saw or something similar. This seems more accurate but slower for small stuff.

Eric
    Eric,
    I have added the chop saw calculator to the original post.

Atlas 10x36" lathe