FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY
877 - Long - Inc | 877.566.4462

Thread: Longevity Elite helmet problem

Longevity Elite helmet problem

Fairly recently I ordered and received a new Longevity Elite auto-darkening helmet. The electronics work fine, but I am very displeased with the flip mechanism. The helmet falls down at the slightest head movement - it seems even if you breath too hard.. The pinch bolt system seems to be completly ineffective. I checked two of my old helmets, and the pinch bolt/hinge system is completely different.
    I raised this complaint earlier on the forum, and a few others said they had a similar problem - but maybe not so severe. I questioned Longevity, and they didn't suggest a solution, but said they are investigating a new hinge for the helmets.
    In any case, for anyone having a similar problem, if your helmet is designed the same as mine, I have a solution.
    Remove the head-gear from the helmet by removing the finger nuts, and gently spreading the helmet body till it comes out. Locate the 14mm nuts one each side of the gear, slip a 14mm socket over each, and gently snug them down by hand. - Re-assemble the helmet, and test.
    I have enclosed two photos below to help.
    I know this sounds pretty basic - but since Longevity didn't suggest it, I'm assuming they haven't tried it yet.
    Other than the above problem, I'm pleased with the rig.

Cheers,
    Art R.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by arandall; 11-26-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Cheers,
    Art R.

Longevity LS200-PI multi-purpose cutter/welder,
    Miller 180 Auto-Set MIG,
    Custom 5hp compressor,

I have not had any problems yet. This is good information.
    Thanks for sharing!
    keith
    The older the Boys, the more expensive the TOYS
    Previously Owned equipment;
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    2 Longevity autodarking helmets
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

Actually i am not using this helmet.But i heard someone to about this helmet.I think this helmet is good.