FreeWeldingForum.com 
Welding Forum Community presented by LONGEVITY

Thread: Welding Tips

Welding Tips

Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info

This site seems to have a bunch of good information on it. I have spent a few hours poking around looking at the different things.

Eric
    Longevity LC-520D (ordered, Delivered, works great)
    Longevity Pro-Black Welding helmet, works great
    Pexto 137 shear (my latest toy)

Personal website
    www.howhardcanitbe.tv

Where I work.
    www.roadinosaur.com
    www.mattsrepair.com

That is a nice site. Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info wrote an article on Chinese welders and we commented it on it, but they have not approved the comment yet. We are waiting for our chance to respond.

Simon
    Last edited by LONGEVITY; 09-01-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Correction
    Longevity Welding
    Toll-Free Support: 1-510-887-7090 / 1-877-566-4462
    Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM to 4PM

I think I found the section you were talking about. The video is pretty harsh.. But then again there are video's of people blending iPhones and what not on the web also.

There were a mix of comments. I saw a bunch of the typical "if it ain't made in the USA it's crap". I saw one post from Longevity and one from GiantTech and a few other ones supporting chinese welders. So there doesn't seem to be that much filtering of comments. I know the whole import vs American thing is a great topic to start controversy.

Eric
    Longevity LC-520D (ordered, Delivered, works great)
    Longevity Pro-Black Welding helmet, works great
    Pexto 137 shear (my latest toy)

Personal website
    www.howhardcanitbe.tv

Where I work.
    www.roadinosaur.com
    www.mattsrepair.com

The people at Miller, Lincolin need to realize that they are competing in a WORLD market not just a US market. This is the same mistake that the auto makers made in the 70s.
    keith
    The older the Boys, the more expensive the TOYS
    Previously Owned equipment;
    lot's
    Current equipment;
    3HP Speedair air compressor, Wilton drill press, Craftsman 10x36 lathe, 10 ton hydrolic press, Portaband band saw, OA torch, Small home brew CNC machine, powered by my 200PI
    2 Longevity autodarking helmets
    160d MIG
    WeldAll 200PI

Nice, they put our comment up! For a while it was not displayed.
    Longevity Welding
    Toll-Free Support: 1-510-887-7090 / 1-877-566-4462
    Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM to 4PM

Quote Originally Posted by KHK View Post
    The people at Miller, Lincolin need to realize that they are competing in a WORLD market not just a US market. This is the same mistake that the auto makers made in the 70s.
    they do realize this, it's the backwoods rednecks and pipeliners, job foremans and spreadbosses that dont realize it. yeah, i buy harley because i dont wanna own 2 wrench sets, i buy older trucks because i dont wanna have to hook a computer to it to work on it...lol... it doesnt matter what you buy, in todays capitalist economy, stuff breaks, it's simple phsysics...
    Torchmate 5 x 10 custom built CNC table
    6 (each) Thermadyne 252i mig/ stick/ tig
    Thermal Dynamics a-60 automated cutter
    Thermal cutmaster 52 handheld cutter
    '07 pro300 miller
    '08 275 trailblazer miller
    '99 250 trailblazer
    12vs extreme suitcase feeder
    2 (each) xr-a 50 foot push-pull feeders (for aluminum mig)
    800 ton break
    400 ton shear
    MM350p
    xmt 304
    (do i REALLY need to keep going?)

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by KHK View Post
    i know lincoln has alot of its mig welders not made in the USA, i own a 180c, which is lincoln's topend 180amp mig with infinite controls,not the tap controls like you buy at lowes or home depot, it was made in mexico... when i sell a car i have up for sale, i'm selling the lincoln and replacing it with something just for the fact i feel i was lied to when i bought it.. its going to be hard for me not to buy a Thermal Arc mig, i am impressed enough with the ta185 i have that one of their migs deserves a shot, plus i've never read anything bad posted about them... i will possibly give a Longevity mig a shot when the time comes... its going to be a toss up between thermal arc fabricator 210,lincoln 255xt that will be made in usa, a miller 212, and possibly a longevity 205.... with a mig i will try before i buy, my lincoln is no where near as soft an arc as what the miller 252 i had was..

if you do a search for lincoln electric, and miller electric and see the list of foreign manufacturing facilities they own you will be suprised.. i would say their machines are full of foreign components and component assemblies that have been shipped into the US and assembled and tagged made in USA.. i know sanrex japan owns copyrights and patents on certain components and miller and lincoln both use them, sanrex is a japanese company with facilities all over asia and the south pacific.. i just think its kept on the down low. plus if you have looked at a millermatic lately the quality of the machines have went down hill the last 10 yrs.. i use to own a miller252 back in 2000 and i sold it, i kick myself for doing it, that was the best mig i have ever ran a bead with, it was a quality caddilac mig welder, heavy, diecast edging and knobs, it was a brute.... the 252's now have cheap plastic knobs and edging and the front compartment where the reference cards are stored is also of a cheap plastic, the display model i was investigating, the compartment door was actually broke and hanging....
    i would have a hard time buying a new 252 for $2k.. miller also needs to ditch the autoset, its just a marketing gimmick ito me..

my Thermal Arc 185 tig welder is made by Sansha Electric, which is owned by Sanrex Japan.. Sansha happens to be an old city/suburb in Taiwan, go figure.. i was told by a Sanrex USA employee that the thermal arc welders are now produced in Sansha Taiwan in a brand new, state of art Clean facility with extremely high quality standards... the igbt originated in japan , A. Yamagami had the first patent... irving place capital (an investment group) bought Themaldyne which sells the sanrex welders here in the usa under the thermal arc name with a substanial markup i'm sure... with themaldyne being bought by irving place capital the contract between thermaldyne and sanrex will probably be null and void so you will probably see Sanrex welders being sold in the US, hopefully without the Thermaldyne markup on them.. if they do start selling Sanrex welders in the US, i will buy one if the price is right. sanrex is large enough it can compete with miller and lincoln, and sanrex welders are top end machines...

lincoln and miller dont have to compete or worry about one or 2 companies in the US, its all the companies of the world they have to compete with, whether it be japanese, chinese, italian, yada yada yada..

1972 Bridgeport Mill
    Thermal Arc 211i
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Buffalo 4x6 Horizontal Band Saw
    Craftsman Benchtop Drillpress
    Craftsman Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Belt/Disk Sander Combo
    Crafstman Vertical Band Saw

I'm not looking at it right now, but seems like I remember seeing a "Made in Mexico" sticker on the inside of my Lincoln Pro-mig 180...
    Just Sensible Concepts
    *Longevity Weldall 160PI (technically it's not mine but it is on MY inventory for my shop at work)
    Lincoln Weldanpower 200
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln AC225