PDA
View Full Version :

Aluminum welding is coming along.

Gadget
12-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Here is my latest practice weld in aluminum. I have used nearly a full tank of argon (80 cubic foot tank) getting to this point. Once I can do this consistently, I will start my recumbent aluminum trike project.
Gadget

junes
08-27-2009, 08:45 PM
gadget the link not working i am dying to see this.

Gadget
08-27-2009, 08:58 PM
I think I have a copy of this photo yet. Keep in mind it was only after a couple of hours of playing with the machine. Check back tomorrow to see if I have reposted the image.

junes
08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
the heat looks good for the most part just a few spots where you stayed in one spot too long. Looks like you just need to focus on keeping rythm and a steady hand. I know you heard it a thousand times but just get a puddle going dip the rod and move on and keep repeating these steps then you will be stacking dimes in no time. Taper off your head at the end of the weld too this is where most people mess up. You have all that head building up and moving along the mass of the part then suddenly there is no mass to absorb the heat so it over heats and evaporates away. keep us posted and you are well on your way. I would lilke to see how your progress is comming.

Gadget
08-27-2009, 09:07 PM
I haven't practiced for awhile but the next time I do some AL welding I will be sure to post. Thanks for being kind to a newbie (I was then and really still am)
By the way, I didn't use regular filler rod in that weld. I had some AL strips cut out of the same material that were probably a bit wide for the purpose running from about an eighth to 3/16 wide and .080 thick.
Dan

junes
08-27-2009, 09:11 PM
to me we are all newbies and always will be since every day we are welding and learnig little bit more from people so there nobody who knows everything about welding. I learn something just about everytime i pick up the torch and i been welding for years.

SICFabrications
08-19-2010, 08:09 PM
to me we are all newbies and always will be since every day we are welding and learnig little bit more from people so there nobody who knows everything about welding. I learn something just about everytime i pick up the torch and i been welding for years.

most sensible post ive seen to date on any forum

ahack3r
08-19-2010, 08:15 PM
not bad, looks like it will hold, but not passing a beauty contest anytime soon :P I can't wait to post pics of my aluminum plates.

Gadget
08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
That post was quite a long time ago. I can occasionally do better than that now.

SICFabrications
08-19-2010, 08:32 PM
That post was quite a long time ago. I can occasionally do better than that now.

im pretty bad about digging up old posts.... it's my bad...lol.... i just wanna see what has been goin down here before my time

ahack3r
08-19-2010, 08:57 PM
wow, 3 years ago!? sorry I only commented because it was in the New Posts list. I didn't think to look at the post date on the thread :/

Gadget
08-20-2010, 06:40 AM
No problem, bringing that back up just reminded me of how far I have come (and how far I have yet to go)

ahack3r
08-20-2010, 11:54 AM
whats that word, reminiscing?

Fastest1
03-27-2011, 10:01 AM
How about an example of a weld after your 1 year mark, 2 year etc? That way we can see how we measure up in the ability to improve versus time.

Gadget
03-27-2011, 12:02 PM
In order for that to mean anything I would have to have been welding much more than I am now. I just haven't had the projects that require a lot of welding lately.