PDA
View Full Version :

Fender Repair/Mod

arandall
04-13-2009, 09:53 PM
OK Ė hereís part of one of my long term projects Ė who else am I going to show it to?. Itís the front fender repair/modification for my old Chevy coupe. I donít pretend to be a body man, but the thing was in bad shape anyway, and I never did like the side view of that car Ė so Ė out with the torch. I know it looks pretty rough, but itís a lot better than when I started, and will require only a little bondo. There is actually more work in it than at first appears. Aside from rust repair, the fender was bulged, so I had to slice it to shrink it enough. As well, I rolled the bottom edge under, along with the adjoining fender extension. I re-arched the wheel well, with a 1/2inch rolled edge, and flared it just slightly at the rear bottom of the opening Ė mostly for looks, but Iím using the excuse that it will help deflect a little road-grit, water etc. from the bottom of the fender. You can just see the lip in the pictures.
Now all I have to do is copy it on the other side.

Cheers,
Art R.

KHK
04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
About 10 years ago I rebuilt the doors from a 75 blazer. Working with such light sheet metal is a tough job, add in the tust and supports and it is almost impossible. I my case I should have bought door skins. Are there any replacement panels for your project? If so it may make the job easer. What you have done looks good, I know how hard it was to do.

keith

arandall
04-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Keith:
There probably are replacements available somewhere, but what the --- - that would be easier wouldn't it. Anyway, I wanted to do the custom work anyway. - Trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear you know.

Cheers,
Art R.

strube1369
04-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Cool. Notice ya got a three dimensional "avatar" in there, too!

LONGEVITY
04-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Art,

It looks like Goofy upgraded his ride judging by the pics!

bhardy501
04-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Good work, I got a 76 3/4 ton Chevy truck thats got an over abundunce of cnacer in it. I got new floor pans and rocker panels to replace still have to get inner rockers and kick panels also floor braces. The old truck probably aint worth putting aal the work into but I grew up riding around in htis truck. My Grandfather bought it new so its got a lot of sentimental value. Maybe I will get started on it sometime soon.

technomitch
04-23-2009, 07:44 AM
I have a 75 GMC long wheelbase pickup that i thought about shortening . . now that I have a new plasma cutter should make things easier !!