PDA
View Full Version :

Cutting 1" disks

HerbD
03-15-2009, 08:41 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/HerbDusa/PlasmaCuttingDisks?authkey=Gv1sRgCMyP-c31gK3G2QE
The LS200P with its plasma cutter made it easy to make 1" disks from a piece of 16g stainless sheet. I made a template from 1/2" thick mdf and clamped this over the stainless and out over the edge of the welding table I had made earlier this morning.

The 1" disks were used to cap the end of some 1" stainless tubing I was using to make an air injector for a metal melting furnace I'm building.

In order to make 1" disk, the hole in the template had to be larger than 1" by half the diameter of the plasma torch head. So for a 1" disk, the hole in this template was 2" in diameter. The cuts turned out good, consistent, and of course the cut took only seconds to do.

HerbD 8)

strube1369
03-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks Herb, I been thinking about trying some projects using templates and wasn't sure what to use. Looks to me like you answered my question! I can tell the templates would last quite awhile using your method.

fl70
03-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Nice that you added the pic.
It will help folks out!

Gadget
03-16-2009, 05:42 PM
What kind of metal will you be melting. I have an aluminum furnace here and have lots of fun with it.
Dan

HerbD
03-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi Dan,

I'm starting with aluminum and if that works well I'll go to brass eventually. The furnace follows the design of Lionel Oliver (The Flower Pot Crucible Furnace 2002) with a clay flower pot inside of a holiday popcorn can. If you are familiar with his design, I had access to stainless steel for the top ring that holds the mortar in the inverted popcorn can top. I'll post some pictures of the furnace and injector tomorrow.

The biggest difference is in the air injector which I also fabricated from 1" stainless steel tubing. Oliver's design used a single piece of angle iron with holes to distribute air evenly. My design uses a cross made from SS tubing mitered and welded together (see the drawing below). The 1" end caps at the beginning of this thread aren't shown but each of the three short legs are capped off by TIG welding a 1" diameter disk to the end. I really like how the TIG welder handles thinner metals easily.

I made the crucible out of a 6" piece of 4" diameter schedule 40 steel pipe with an arc welded 1/2" thick bottom. The Longevity LS200P is so much easier than my old buzz box welder. I welded two lugs for lifting and pouring made from 1/2" rod. I hope that the crucible isn't too thick and doesn't take too long to heat through.

Gadget
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Herb,
It will be interesting to see the complete burner assembly. I am using forced air with a simple 1" pipe input. The propane is injected with a tube crossing the pipe and a #60 hole drilled in it. Works just fine for me. My furnace started out as electric and I used it that way for many years. The element burned out recently though and I decided to go with propane because the melt time is much faster. I just modified the electric to gas.
I also use a 4" pipe crucible, it works just fine for me.

Dan

HerbD
03-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Dan,

This is my first try at a furnace. It will burn charcoal which sort of goes along with the whole primitive thing of collecting aluminum cans and scrap. I have natural gas available, although I think I'd go for propane if I have success melting with this furnace.

I've been following the threads in the Casting Hobby forum and it looks like there are a lot of ideas on burners out there. Did you coat the inside of your crucible with anything? Have any problem with scale?

HerbD 8)

http://picasaweb.google.com/HerbDusa/PlasmaCuttingDisks?authkey=Gv1sRgCMyP-c31gK3G2QE