PDA
View Full Version :

Longevity Auto Darkening Welding Helmet Review

KHK
03-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I had a chance to use my new Longevity welding mask today. I was very impressed! The only othe auto-darking helmit I have used is a HF helmet. The Longevity helmet blows the HF helmet out of the park!!

keith

Gadget
03-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I feel the same way about mine Keith. I especially like the solid lock on the flip up. I have never had a flash when doing low amp TIG either.

Dan

Gaustin
03-08-2009, 06:25 AM
What were some of the differnce in th HF. I have the blue flame model and other than being impossible to grind with, it works well. One feature I dont like is the external shade adjustment. Tpp easy to adjust without knowing it.

Gadget
03-08-2009, 06:48 AM
The most important thing to me was the HF helmet can occasionally open up when using TIG at low currents. Eye burns are no fun. The second thing is the HF helmet keeps dropping from the raised position when moving around. The Longevity unit has a snaplock type of positioner that so far has not dropped on me.
You get a large supply of band cushions with the Longevity unit too. And the head strap adjusts very smoothly on the Longevity unit. The Longevity unit also has the shade adjustment on the outside though just so you know.
And of course, Longevity has a very wide selection of designs and colors. Not important but nice just the same.

Dan

KHK
03-25-2009, 09:59 PM
There seams to be more breathing room in the Longevity helmet. I welded with the HF helmet for about 30 sec and the lense foged up. On the same day about 2 min later I welded with the Longevity helmet for at least 45 secbefore it foged up.
The longevity helmet is more comfortable to ware. The head strap is easier to adjust.
My compairson is between a $69.00 hf helmet and a $149.00 longevity helmet.

The point; If you are going to buy a helmet spend the extra $ for a great helmet

I wanted to reply sooner but I was having problems posting

keith

LONGEVITY
03-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Thank you for the review Kieth. We will have more helmets out shortly as well as other cool gear.

Simon

arandall
03-26-2009, 11:45 AM
OK - now I have a question about Auto-darkening helmets. I have two helmets which I have had for at least 3 years - both solar powered, with adjustable shade (9-13). I am having more and more problems seeing my work with both helmets. Do these things deteriorate with age? - Or is it just my 62 year old eyes?

Cheers,

Art R.

Gadget
03-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Art,
I may be stating the obvious but is the cover lens clean?

LONGEVITY
03-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Art,

The batteries on your helmet may be going out. There is a lifespan on those helmets. Two years is about right. Check the manufacturer specs of battery and lens life.

arandall
03-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Gadget:
Thanks for the tip - sometimes the obvious does get overlooked, but in this case I have cleaned the lenses. - It looks like I'll be buying a new helmet when I can afford it, and with the support I have been shown so far, it will be from Longevity.

Cheers,

Arr R.

LONGEVITY
03-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Gadget:
Thanks for the tip - sometimes the obvious does get overlooked, but in this case I have cleaned the lenses. - It looks like I'll be buying a new helmet when I can afford it, and with the support I have been shown so far, it will be from Longevity.

Cheers,

Arr R.

Art,

Being an active member, give me a call when you are ready and you will be taken care of.

Simon

Gadget
03-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Art,
I think you will be happy with the Longevity helmet. I really like mine, it is much better than the HF unit I have.
Dan

KHK
03-26-2009, 08:51 PM
arandall most helmets have replacable batteries. The first part of this post is missing!!!

arandall
11-10-2009, 05:55 PM
OK - so I just bought a new Longevity "Elite" helmet, and it is a big improvement over my old helmets in the fact that I can see way better with it, and the shade adjustment works well.
I am, however, pretty disappointed that is doesn't want to stay flipped up on my head - its seems to fall down too easily even with the pinch bolts tightened down.
I thought these things had a positive lock mechanism on them.
Is mine faulty, or is this a common problem?

Art R.

Gadget
11-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Mine is still holding the lock well Art.

jbman45
11-10-2009, 06:05 PM
most of my helmets, including the longevity, will loosen with several up and down motions. I sort of get used to tightening one side then the other out of habit but none that i know really stay at teh same level of tightness. there may be a way to lock it in but overall I just give it a twist every now and then.

arandall
11-11-2009, 01:02 PM
I guess this is a question for a Longevity rep., because I would like to know if in fact there is a positive lock mechanism on these things, or is it just friction?
Either way, I like the helmet, but would like to know if mine is defective.

Art R.

matteh99
11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I have a Pro Helmet and it does seem to flop down a bit to easy some times. If I can have it open all the way it is fine but if I want to look down and not have the helmet fall it is tough.

Eric

Uncle Ed
11-12-2009, 03:55 PM
I have the same complaints with my helmet. It's not an HF but not a Miller, either. It drops too easily unless it's all the way up and I keep my head level. While that may be fine for level bench work - I am usually bent over something and it's always flopping down on me like a vengeful toilet seat.

As for solar powered lenses I don't care for them as I don't weld in long enough spurts or out in direct sunlight to keep them charged. My current lens uses AAA batteries and is far more reliable.

If the Longevity helmets have a good bump lock, took cheapo batteries and had a good FOV I would consider upgrading as the lens and the headband/mechanism is most important for me.

Ed

LONGEVITY
11-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi Guys,

They are friction mounted. It is possible that they can drop. We will be working on developing some with a spring or release button.

Simon