PDA
View Full Version :

Welding Clamp/Clamp Bolts

arandall
03-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Attached are 4 pictures of one of my contraptions that I felt might be of interest to some of you.

Some time ago, I was browsing in a recycle yard where I found a really nice small rack and pinion which I couldn't turn down. From the looks of it, it was part of some medical equipment - too nice to leave there!!

Anyway after some thought, I fabricated another "third hand" welding clamp from it.

The first picture shows the overall view - mounted on the side of my welding table. The rack and pinion can be seen on the left in the background. On the pinion part, I mounted an extendable rod. To the rod, I fabricated and mounted a fully articulated arm (I lost track of how many knuckles I put in it). On the end of the arm, I mounted a good strong magnet to hold the material. This allows me to bring one of the two pieces to be welded (stuck to the magnet) into proximity to one of the other clamps on my table, with full flexibility as to position. The second picture shows the articulated arm.

The third picture is a close up of my design for the articulated clamp bolts I build for clamping the knuckle joints together without need for tools. I build them by welding a nut perpendicular to the head of a bolt for the first part, and then a rod perpendicular to the end of a bolt for the handle for the second part. These two pieces are then threaded together, and the assembly then threaded into the threaded portion of the knuckle. This allows the handle to be flipped around any obstructions when rotating it to tighten the clamp. It sounds a bit complex, but it really isn't if you study the picture a bit. You do have to be careful making the welds, though, and I usually run a tap through the threads to clean them up after welding.

By the way - the slug of copper I use for backing when doing plug welds.

Hopefully some of you might find this of some interest. I know more pictures would have made it a little easier to understand, but we're understandably limited to three enclosures.

Cheers,

Art R.

Gadget
03-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Looks good arandall,
I think you will have better luck with photos around 640X480 though. They are about as large as you want to go for furum display. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for sharing,
Dan

KHK
03-06-2009, 08:21 PM
arandall, you have created a very cool gadget. What is the max weight it will hold?

keith

strube1369
03-06-2009, 09:05 PM
When I find a new use for stuff, I like to think I'm giving it a new life. My wife thinks I'm mostly just playing with my junk. But us guys know better! Good job!

arandall
03-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Keith:

If I remember, the magnet was good for around 25lbs., but I wouldn't put that much on it. - No problem with 10 though.

Art R.

fl70
03-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Pretty creative, thanks for sharing.

Tiger47
07-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Art,

I cannot see the pictures :-x but am interested in your clamp. I can see other pictures from other threads but not this one.

Tiger47
07-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Art, like your ideas but cannot see the images.

Gadget
07-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Tiger,
The photos you are trying to view were lost with the transition from the old forum software to the new. We are trying to locate them and will repost them if we can find them.

Arandall,
If you have copies of the photos can you reload them by editing your post? Thanks,
Dan

arandall
07-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Tiger & All:

I re-loaded the pictures. Hopefully you'll find them useful. If you haven't already, you might find my welding table and associated clamps of interest as well (in a different post - just do a search for "welding clamp", or look under "welding projects and pictures/welding clamp).

Cheers,
Art R.

Tiger47
07-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks, Art. I appreciate you going to the trouble of loading the images, that really helps. I like what you've done and will check out your other posts.

Gadget
07-24-2009, 05:20 AM
Tiger & All:

I re-loaded the pictures. Hopefully you'll find them useful. If you haven't already, you might find my welding table and associated clamps of interest as well (in a different post - just do a search for "welding clamp", or look under "welding projects and pictures/welding clamp).

Cheers,
Art R.

Art,
I don't see the pictures, did you attach them to this thread?
Dan

arandall
07-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Art,
I don't see the pictures, did you attach them to this thread?
Dan

Dan:

I attached the pictures by modifying the original post. It seemed to work, but they have disappeared once again.
I really don't have time to do it again right now, but I will try to find the time a little later today.

Cheers,
Art R.

Gadget
07-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Art,
Just for kicks, try renaming the photos before uploading them. Maybe it has something to do with the name.
Dan

arandall
07-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Art,
Just for kicks, try renaming the photos before uploading them. Maybe it has something to do with the name.
Dan

OK Dan - I'll try it a little later.

Art R.

arandall
07-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Art,
Dan

Dan:
I re-named, and re-loaded the pictures. - Lets see if this works.

Art R.

Gadget
07-25-2009, 05:48 AM
Looks good Art, thanks a lot.
Dan