PDA
View Full Version :

Got my new plasma cutter yesterday..

brucer
10-10-2013, 04:34 AM
I got my new plasma cutter yesterday, got a Thermal Dynamics cutmaster52.. I should be able to get it wired up later today..

I didnt get the cnc interface kit, they wanted $100 for it and I wasnt paying that much for a $10 plug and a simple wiring warness. I went to my electronics store and picked up a female 14pin plug and pins, its exactly like what comes in the cnc interface kit and exactly like the one on the rear of the 42i, cost me $10.00... I'm going to access the raw arc voltage for the Proma so thats relatively east to figure out... I still need to find the trigger wires (torch on/off), according to the manual they are the same pin numbers that were on my 42i (3&4), and they are green and white, so that should be pretty simple to find..

I wanted to pass it by Simon and see if its ok for me to post pictures of it and such, being its not a Longevity unit... The way I understand it the 42i is pretty close to the cutmaster42 and from what I gathered Longevity is suppose to be offering a 60amp unit sometime in the future..

Let me know.

Thanks,
Brucer.

acourtjester
10-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Well congrats it been a few days since you made you table do any work now you can get back to the fun stuff (cutting metal).

have fun
Tom

LONGEVITY
10-10-2013, 08:13 PM
I got my new plasma cutter yesterday, got a Thermal Dynamics cutmaster52.. I should be able to get it wired up later today..

I didnt get the cnc interface kit, they wanted $100 for it and I wasnt paying that much for a $10 plug and a simple wiring warness. I went to my electronics store and picked up a female 14pin plug and pins, its exactly like what comes in the cnc interface kit and exactly like the one on the rear of the 42i, cost me $10.00... I'm going to access the raw arc voltage for the Proma so thats relatively east to figure out... I still need to find the trigger wires (torch on/off), according to the manual they are the same pin numbers that were on my 42i (3&4), and they are green and white, so that should be pretty simple to find..

I wanted to pass it by Simon and see if its ok for me to post pictures of it and such, being its not a Longevity unit... The way I understand it the 42i is pretty close to the cutmaster42 and from what I gathered Longevity is suppose to be offering a 60amp unit sometime in the future..

Let me know.

Thanks,
Brucer.

Of course, you can! I would like to know what you think of it. We have a competing model coming to that model. As long as you or someone is not intentionally advertising or pushing another brand on our forums, we are ok and open. I personally want people to share experience good and bad about all equipment as long as they dont spam the fact that they have another brand machine or try to push it on here!

Thanks for asking anyway. Maybe we can get all the members of the forum to put together what they find acceptable and not acceptable with other brands in terms of respect to us, yet informative to the readers out there! That could be a guideline we all follow.

65falcon
10-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Why are you changing out the 42i?

Pierre

brucer
10-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Why are you changing out the 42i?

Pierre
I didnt have a 42i i had the older 40i model with the s45 torch...

brucer
10-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Of course, you can! I would like to know what you think of it. We have a competing model coming to that model. As long as you or someone is not intentionally advertising or pushing another brand on our forums, we are ok and open. I personally want people to share experience good and bad about all equipment as long as they dont spam the fact that they have another brand machine or try to push it on here!

Thanks for asking anyway. Maybe we can get all the members of the forum to put together what they find acceptable and not acceptable with other brands in terms of respect to us, yet informative to the readers out there! That could be a guideline we all follow.

Thank you Simon.

brucer
10-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Well congrats it been a few days since you made you table do any work now you can get back to the fun stuff (cutting metal).

have fun
Tom

Yea tom, its been a while.. It sucks being broke, makes saving up money tough these days.. I should be able to get it up and going this weekend. I'm definitely anxious to see what it will do..

acourtjester
10-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Hey Brucer did you get a machine torch and what tips did you get the Cutmaster 52.

Have fun
Tom

brucer
10-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Hey Brucer did you get a machine torch and what tips did you get the Cutmaster 52.

Have fun
Tom

I got the hand torch and I got the 60amp tips to start with. I'm going to go get a shield cup and the shield tip also, just so I have it, the guy at the store said I didnt need it, but I still want one on hand to try out..

I ran into a noise issue when I hooked it up today, I had the raw arc voltage wired with shielded cable on the old machine, today my buddy kayle, thought one plug would be better and he wired it with non-shielded cable, well I'm tripping the e-stop as soon as the torch fires, so I'm getting a noise issue.. So i'm going to swap out to shielded cable on the raw arc voltage side and see if that solves it..

I did try the machine manually on some 3/8" steel on 50amps, I like it, nice and fast and straight, no dross manual cutting..machine is stout, the way it cut 3/8" I know it will cut 1/2".. It is rated to pierce 1/2" and I bet it will do it and then some..

One thing I found odd was the pierce height, it is like .190, which is same as the cut height..

as soon as I chase down this noise issue, I'll get some test coupons cut and get some pictures posted..

brucer
10-14-2013, 08:28 PM
rewired the torch on/off with shielded cable and that fixed the noise issue... Now I need to make a new mount for the new torch and I'll be ready to go again..

65falcon
10-14-2013, 10:27 PM
lets see some pics!

PW

brucer
10-15-2013, 07:01 PM
I didnt make it out in the shop today, going to try to make the torch mount bracket tomorrow..

brucer
10-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Finally got the torch mount made, took some picture with my phone, and my darn data port is screwed up on my phone.. I'll get more pictures tomorrow with my Olympus digital camera..

Its a pretty simple mount, 1 1/2"x2 1/4"x3/4 thick with a couple holes drilled and tapped for mounting, a 1.180 hole bored in it for the torch, and another hole thats drilled/tapped/counterbored for a clamping bolt, then I split it for the clamping action..

JolietJames
10-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Deleted...

brucer
10-29-2013, 12:50 PM
I cut a couple 1911 staking tools yesterday.. I keep using my phone to take pictures, and the data port is messed up, need to get it fixed, its driving me crazy..

I cut 5/16 plate, machine set at 60 amps, .4 pierce delay, 65ipm, .190 standoff and pierce height, 126 volts on the proma.. I did have to recalibrate the Proma for the different plasma cutter because of going from 40-60 amps and also because of the difference in standoff distance.. The arc gap/standoff is a bit more with the cutmaster52 which changes the arc voltage, its not much but a little different.. It will cut the 5/16 plate faster than the 65ipm i was using, I'm pretty sure it will run at 70-75 ipm on the 5/16.. I think the thermal dynamics cut chart might be a little on the conservative sidem which is good..

The biggest thing I've noticed with the cutmaster 52 is the cut height and the pierce heights in the manual are pretty much the same distance with whatever material your cutting and are quite a bit more than what I was using with the 40i, even the cutmaster 52 40amp settings in the book the cut and pierce height are greater than what I could use with the 40i unit.

65falcon
12-27-2013, 06:28 PM
The biggest thing I've noticed with the cutmaster 52 is the cut height and the pierce heights in the manual are pretty much the same distance with whatever material your cutting and are quite a bit more than what I was using with the 40i, even the cutmaster 52 40amp settings in the book the cut and pierce height are greater than what I could use with the 40i unit.

When I talked to the Tecmo factory about the pt-60 torch (Forcecut 42i) they told me something similar. They said that the torch offset should be about 1.5mm - 2mm regardless of material thickness. That was for CNC use.

This seems different than the Hypertherm approach.

Pierre