PDA
View Full Version :

Cart with 60# argon bottle

HerbD
02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
In an earlier post I showed how an Harbor Freight cart can hold a 200P multi-purpose machine along with an argon bottle. A big factor for me was that the finished cart/project needed to be mobile and store easily along with other machines in the garage.

The cart has 16" x 30" deep shelves which work great for holding supplies and tools, but the 60# bottle needed a secure place. I didn't want to hang it on the back of the cart, so after some experimenting I decided that it could go within the outline of the cart.

After a little math using the circumference of the bottle as a starting point, I decided that a 7.25" circle could be cut in the top shelf near the back left corner. I used automotive trim to make a safe edge on the cutout. A 24" piece from the local auto trim shop was just right, with about 3" left over. Cost for the trim was $1.44.

The bottom of the bottle rests on the middle shelf. If you have a larger capacity bottle, you could go to the lower shelf with a second hole in the middle shelf. This puts the gas regulator above the top of the welder so it can be seen from the front of the machine when doing settings.

After using the setup for a while, and following a suggestion from another posting in this forum. I used a 3-way ball valve to hook up argon and compressed air through the valve to make switchover easy. I'll send pictures and details on that soon.

Herb 8)

KHK
02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Realy looks great!

keith

rlitman
02-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Looks very nice, but isn't that an 80cf bottle.
By me, none of the 60cf bottles (or smaller) have threads for caps, and all of the 80cf bottles (or larger), do.

BTW, years ago, I made a bracket out of 1"x1/8" straps, to hold a bottle to my cart, and discovered that when I got a replacement once, although it was the same capacity, it was just a little bit larger, and didn't fit well.

KHK
02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
All of argon bottles that I have seen are brown, green bottles are oxygen. May be that that is a local thing?? Or maybe there is no standard.

keith

HerbD
02-27-2009, 07:09 PM
While I am not an authority on inert gas bottles, I have seen argon in several different color bottles. There are more than a dozen gas suppliers within 10 miles of my place. While shopping around I've seen mustard colored ones as well as brown, gray and the soft green that I have. There are also some differences in height and diameter, although generally the 80 pounders are about 32" tall, the 40's are about 17.5" tall and the 60's are about 28" tall. At the neck, the one on my cart is about 23" tall, and the bill of sale from the welding supply shop says it is 60 pounder.

Take a look at some of the online sites such as CyberWeld. 40's and 80's are common, 60's not as common. There is currently a listing on eBay for a 60 pounder (Item number: 350170615343).

They tell me that a 40 will last for about an hour. I wanted a bit more but didn't want the initial expense of an 80. Welder + gas was at about the limit of piggy bank. For what it is worth, I got the bottle (60#) filled with argon for $110. The dealer said he would refill it for $21 when it was empty. Other places I looked in the area wanted as high as $140 for an empty 40# bottle and $40 to refill.

Herb 8)

THaynes33
03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Nice full cover helmit in the background as well! Thanks for the photo. Tom