PDA
View Full Version :

fastcam

sandman92k
08-31-2013, 07:43 AM
I thinking about building my own cnc plasma, has anyone used fastcam, if so how does it workFastCAM Product Summary (http://www.fastcamusa.com/new/products/)

Gadget
08-31-2013, 08:31 AM
I use Sheetcam for plasma and 2.5d routing/ milling and LinuxCNC for the CNC control software. LinuxCNC is free and Sheetcam is around $100.00 and extremely well supported.

Haven't played with FastCam so I can't comment on that.

sandman92k
08-31-2013, 09:18 AM
I am not all that cad/cam friendly and g code friendly, i am looking for programs that make it easy on a person like me so i can use my new table

Gadget
08-31-2013, 09:37 AM
What type of table do you have. You'll need to be sure FastCam has a post processor for that machine or one compatible.

sandman92k
08-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Dont have a table yet, going to build one, just doing homework, trying to make sure everything will communicate. But first i need to learn cad and was looking for something user friendly

urbnsr
09-01-2013, 06:59 AM
I'm running the same as Gadget. It might be more "hands on" (the LinuxCNC part), but I think that gives more flexibility.

BTW Gadget: I paid 75% more for SheetCam than you mentioned. Did I miss something (sale or promo code or...)?

Paul

brucer
09-05-2013, 06:27 AM
For posting programs, Sheetccam all the way.. For the money it cant be beat especially for the home builder.. I guess thats why its pretty much the standard in the home builder group..

Gadget
09-05-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm running the same as Gadget. It might be more "hands on" (the LinuxCNC part), but I think that gives more flexibility.

BTW Gadget: I paid 75% more for SheetCam than you mentioned. Did I miss something (sale or promo code or...)?

Paul I think my cost basis was on the old version of Sheetcam. I bought it close enough to the new version to get the upgrade free.

brucer
09-10-2013, 10:26 AM
To add, I'm using mach3, I wanted to run windows as I had a working version of mastercam for windows.. I didnt want to run two operating systems and i didnt want to run linux windowed within windows, i figured that would cause issues with ports and such.. I can do my drawing/posting and machine control on the same computer, I can also draw and post while the machine is running.. I'm running a 2 ghz processor and 2 gig of memory and i have mach3 set as priority and it works great.. I'm also running the proma thc, I didnt get to run it much before i sold my plasma cutter but it worked fine...

If I werent using windows based drawing (cad) software I would use linux cnc(ubuntu) for the machine control simply because its free. I dont know if there are any linux cad software available for free, probably but i havent looked so i dont know for certain..

Sheetcam is about the most user friendly cam software I have seen, there is also a lot of information available for it.... Your learning curve will be with whatever drawing (cad) software you decide to use.. There are several free 2d cad systems available, but that is where your curve will be, and it will be a pretty good sized curve if your not familiar with cad software.. Siemens and Dassault have 2 very nice and free cad systems available.

urbnsr
09-10-2013, 11:30 AM
.... and i didnt want to run linux windowed within windows, i figured that would cause issues with ports and such.....

Just in case someone may think of trying it, LinuxCNC in a Window's window wouldn't work as available, if ever. LinuxCNC depends on a real-time kernel and needs 100% control of all processes. Waiting for Windows to respond would kill latency numbers.

If I werent using windows based drawing (cad) software I would use linux cnc(ubuntu) for the machine control simply because its free. I dont know if there are any linux cad software available for free, probably but i havent looked so i dont know for certain..

I use Draftsight by Dassault. I know it works natively on Windows and Linux. Probably Mac too, but I have never had the chance to try.