PDA
View Full Version :

Cutting area

tscuda
02-19-2009, 09:03 PM
I seen in another thread (Joebiplane) about a cutting table. That seems fine for small things. But what about large sheets of steel?
One of the main reasons I'm buying my cutter is for cutting some 4'x8' sheets of diamond plate. I'll be doing all my cutting out in the driveway as I dont think it would be safe to do in my garage. What have others used for a temp work area?

rhett
02-19-2009, 10:00 PM
hi "tscuda"

i will guess 1/4" diamond plate as the material, 4" inches or higher for the plates support should provide enough heat relief to where concrete will not fracture. using Oxy?Acetylene I recommend a greater standoff, maybe 8" plus.
known, slag buildup on concrete will stain when oxidation occurs. suggested to use a decently raised support (12" plus) in the yard (saw horses/cinder blocks...?)

personally, I would setup saw horses over dirt/grass, slag leaves nasty stains. 2x4's or 4x4's would work nicely for a plasma cutter's work piece standoff and not burn grass to badly. throw a few cinder blocks in there as supports, things should be Good To Go.

Just remember, things will not cut to well at the materials support points on the jig.

in reality, a cutting table provides the ground/earth point for a process eliminating the need to continually connect a clamp. for me and all my projects, big or small I use the clamp. too diversified here, 1 of a kind projects only.

Good Luck
Rhett

rhett
02-19-2009, 10:39 PM
hi again "tscuda",
please bear with with the repeat suggestions in my first response. I'll try not to do it again. just use the ground clamp and setup at the best location available, preferably not over a flammable or stain able surface.

Find some scrap throwaway steel to test everything before you begin your project....
Thank You,
This is a world of Art, which can be taught, but only can be mastered from experience.
Easy as heck, I'll guess it being the cause of my repetitiveness.

Enjoy
Rhett

KHK
02-19-2009, 10:43 PM
How about an old inner spring mattres? Strip the cloth, padding, off the mattres leaving the springs. The springs alone should provide support of the metal to be cut. Set the spring assembly on some saw horses and you should be golden.
watering the area, grass, a copple of hours pryor to use should prevent a grass fire.

good luck

keith

tscuda
02-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I seen a tv show a month or so ago about cnc plasma cutting. The metal they was cutting was in a bed of water. They were saying that was mostly to cut down on noise. I figured I'd hose down the area before I started any cutting. Save for the spot I'll be standing. I didn't even think about the slag staining the concrete. So maybe a water soaked piece plywood under it. And actually the diamond plate is only 1/8" thick. I'll be using that for the rear cargo area and wheel wells for my Jeep.

KHK
02-20-2009, 07:32 PM
If your piece to be cut is abour two feet above the plywood I don't think you would need to wet it. The sparks will be air cooled and should not start a fire.

keith

flashback
04-29-2009, 11:59 AM
I built my cutting table using some catwalk material I found at the local steel yard. Sparks and slag just drop through and if you happen to cut any of the catwalk, it doesn't matter, as it (usually) won't cut right through the catwalk. Hint though, put a piece of aluminum (or steel) down the front of the table from the surface to the floor so the dingleberries don't end up in the tongue of your boots!

technomitch
05-06-2009, 07:44 AM
You could build a table with the bottom "funneld" down to a bucket with water in it, using the catwalk material suggested by flashback, as the top. Sandblasting cabinet with the top taken off. Anything bigger up course has their own problems, but a table built this way would be nice for small objects such as brakets, small cut offs . . etc.