PDA
View Full Version :

New Look and Feel

LONGEVITY
04-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

Although it is April Fools, we are not joking around. After working on our new website for more than 1-year, we have finally launched. Please let us know how you feel about the look and feel? How you feel about the forum? and the the new customer login screen. With the new site, you will be able to create trouble tickets, get RMA's issued, and it will be much more detailed in terms of welding advice, articles, and videos.

The new site will be more reliable, and will allow us to move to the next stage of expansion. We celebrate this achievement with all of our customers, forum members and our staff. There are more great things to come from our improvements including some awesome products, helmets, and welding clothing gear. Please stay tuned, and let us know what you think!

Thank you all,

Simon Katz

Gadget
04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Two thumbs up from me.

Kevin Caron
04-01-2013, 05:11 PM
All good here also.

Well,, maybe a little lighter black across the top?!?

brucew
04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Two thumbs up from me.
Me too. I like it.

arandall
04-01-2013, 06:51 PM
So far so good Simon.

BucketObolts
04-01-2013, 07:02 PM
So far so good!
Thanks for including me in your newsletter!

Roman8er
04-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Hi Everyone,
Please stay tuned, and let us know what you think!

Thank you all,

Simon Katz

I ike it, seems easier to navigate.

cmoses2
04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
It is much better to navigate than before, but...(here goes)
Lets take a typical scenario for a hobby welder (one who isnt already settled on his sources of consumables)
I click products up above, then plasma cutter consumables, and there is a tabbed list , go to the S45 tab and you have pictures, sku and everything except LINKS to order that item, or put them in a cart, you have to go to the drop-down above near the top of the page.
Now lets go to the drop down...."Search our entire List" and select from a longgggggg list some item for the s45...like the S-45 Large 15 kit, which incidently has a different name in the drop down list.
Now we are at the page where we can view the price and add to the cart, but....
I might want to know how large "Large" is, but there is no technical info concerning the orifice size...cutting range or anything else, I have to ask a question.
So I attempt to ask What size of orifice it has, and then force myself not to look for the answer elsewhere, where I might find the same parts at a competitive price.
You are making it harder than needed to order consumables, you have an obstacle course on the way to the cash register. Probably doesnt matter for a full blown shop, but for the hobby guy?
Thats my $.02, that and $4.50 will get you a Vente Mocha from Starbuck's
cm2

M J Mauer
04-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Good job on the sight rework easy on the eyes.

LONGEVITY
04-02-2013, 01:50 PM
It is much better to navigate than before, but...(here goes)
Lets take a typical scenario for a hobby welder (one who isnt already settled on his sources of consumables)
I click products up above, then plasma cutter consumables, and there is a tabbed list , go to the S45 tab and you have pictures, sku and everything except LINKS to order that item, or put them in a cart, you have to go to the drop-down above near the top of the page.
Now lets go to the drop down...."Search our entire List" and select from a longgggggg list some item for the s45...like the S-45 Large 15 kit, which incidently has a different name in the drop down list.
Now we are at the page where we can view the price and add to the cart, but....
I might want to know how large "Large" is, but there is no technical info concerning the orifice size...cutting range or anything else, I have to ask a question.
So I attempt to ask What size of orifice it has, and then force myself not to look for the answer elsewhere, where I might find the same parts at a competitive price.
You are making it harder than needed to order consumables, you have an obstacle course on the way to the cash register. Probably doesnt matter for a full blown shop, but for the hobby guy?
Thats my $.02, that and $4.50 will get you a Vente Mocha from Starbuck's
cm2

Great points and something we can look into to make consumables easy to purchase. In your account admin, you will also be able to see what you purchase din the past, your viewed and wishlist items, etc... the back admin for you is very good and you can create trouble tickets as well to make it easier. But definitely, we are working on the next stage after launch! Thanks for the input. If all of us agreed on one thing, we would never improve!

shotgunjoe
04-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Looking good so far. Let me do more testing... see how it acts on mobile.

shotgunjoe
04-02-2013, 02:31 PM
I just tried uploading pics from my phone. I know about the forum app, but not worth the extra expense just to upload here when i dont use it for any other forum. But it gives me sn error, say files uploaded are too large.

LONGEVITY
04-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Looking good so far. Let me do more testing... see how it acts on mobile.

please and we are working on a mobile version refinement. Also, any issues, missing text, etc let us know.

Gadget
04-02-2013, 03:21 PM
I just tried uploading pics from my phone. I know about the forum app, but not worth the extra expense just to upload here when i dont use it for any other forum. But it gives me sn error, say files uploaded are too large.
Can you save your pictures at 800X600 resolution? That works best for the forum.

Gadget
04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Mobile using Forum Runner worked ok for me but I didn't try to upload any photos. Next time..

LONGEVITY
04-04-2013, 04:49 PM
let me know how the uploads go.

TwistedSteel
04-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Love the look and everything seems to run smoother on my PC, but now I am unable to browse the forums from my phone. It is the Android Razer phone on Verizon network, so it may be that Verizon is doing something to prevent it, but I am able to browse other websites and forums just not this one so maybe we are not mobile friendly now?

BucketObolts
04-05-2013, 10:43 PM
I keep getting a server error when trying to view the projects area. I was hoping to post new project photo's. I figure you have been working on the board or something but it's been a few days and it's still happening.

Gadget
04-06-2013, 03:44 AM
Try hitting refresh on the page. I've seen some display issues that seem to go away after hitting refresh.

BucketObolts
04-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Try hitting refresh on the page. I've seen some display issues that seem to go away after hitting refresh.

Tried that a few times. No improvement. Also when I click the new posts icon, it says there has been no new posts when I know there has been. Weird.
Looks like when I click on the other forum sections it works. It's just the project/photo section I get the system error notice.

Gadget
04-06-2013, 11:15 AM
When checking for new posts, clear your browser cache, click on new posts, then hit refresh. That seems to have fixed it for me in Chrome. Same thing for the activity stream.

I just uploaded a test photo to the projects/photos section with no issues. I suspect clearing your browser cache will fix that for you. Also, if you have a different browser try that.

My suspicion is that the cache is trying to open the same page but that page has new formatting now and it corrupts the cache. Once the cache is cleared and refresh is used a few times the forum acts normally again. I think I had the issue with Chrome because that's what I use the most and it had the most cache files.
I suggest all forum users clear their browser cache then hit refresh when checking new posts or activity stream. In fact hit refresh for any page that doesn't seem to load properly or show posts where you know there should be some.

BucketObolts
04-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the help. I tried those things with no results. I can few the top post in that section because I can see it from the main menu.
I went to explorer and can view the board fine. But It won't let me sign on. I am wondering if it's because I am signed on in Chrome? It's saying my password won't work. I asked twice to be emailed my password settings so I can change it, but still no email has come.

When checking for new posts, clear your browser cache, click on new posts, then hit refresh. That seems to have fixed it for me in Chrome. Same thing for the activity stream.

I just uploaded a test photo to the projects/photos section with no issues. I suspect clearing your browser cache will fix that for you. Also, if you have a different browser try that.

My suspicion is that the cache is trying to open the same page but that page has new formatting now and it corrupts the cache. Once the cache is cleared and refresh is used a few times the forum acts normally again. I think I had the issue with Chrome because that's what I use the most and it had the most cache files.
I suggest all forum users clear their browser cache then hit refresh when checking new posts or activity stream. In fact hit refresh for any page that doesn't seem to load properly or show posts where you know there should be some.

Gadget
04-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the help. I tried those things with no results. I can few the top post in that section because I can see it from the main menu.
I went to explorer and can view the board fine. But It won't let me sign on. I am wondering if it's because I am signed on in Chrome? It's saying my password won't work. I asked twice to be emailed my password settings so I can change it, but still no email has come.

I can reset your password and email it to you if you like. You can change it at the next login then to something only you know. Send me your email in a PM if you want to do this.

I've tested the forum with Safari, IE, and Chrome. Chrome is the only browser that has an issue with this forum. I'll see if Simon wants to have the developers look into why Chrome is balking on the proper display.

BucketObolts
04-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks Dan! How many letters are needed for the password? Do you need to include a number too?
I'll send you a PM after I know about the password.

I can reset your password and email it to you if you like. You can change it at the next login then to something only you know. Send me your email in a PM if you want to do this.

I've tested the forum with Safari, IE, and Chrome. Chrome is the only browser that has an issue with this forum. I'll see if Simon wants to have the developers look into why Chrome is balking on the proper display.

Gadget
04-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks Dan! How many letters are needed for the password? Do you need to include a number too?
I'll send you a PM after I know about the password.
I don't see any restrictions on passwords in the forum settings. However, I suggest you use good practice for a password, you don't want your account hacked.

shotgunjoe
04-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Extremely slow loading on mobile/tablet. Thanks for the resizing tip gadget, i will try it.

Nick
04-11-2013, 07:40 PM
:o Well then, this is new. :D

roberts56
04-12-2013, 08:08 AM
This may be a late response but................... I love the new look, its easier to scroll down the whole index page, two thumbs up Simon !!!

acourtjester
04-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Don't know if any body has seen this with the new page I an using IE8 and when I try to log on I enter a for the start of my user name andit moves the box to the other side of the screen????

Gadget
04-17-2013, 11:53 AM
I just checked in IE9 and it's not there. Try clearing your browser cache and see if that fixes it.

BucketObolts
04-17-2013, 10:23 PM
For what ever reason it's working on Chrome now, at least for me.

Gadget
04-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Chrome had an update since the problem first appeared that seems to have fixed any issues using that browser here.