PDA
View Full Version :

Need advice about tig torch for Longevity Tigweld 200SX

Steve123
03-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Hello,
I've been teaching myself tig welding with the 200SX welder for the last couple of weeks. It seems well made and sturdy. However, the power cable and handle seem rather bulky; this welder comes with a 26 style torch. I showed my LWS the torch and they commented that it is unusually large, even compared to other 26 style torches.

I'd appreciate any advice from more experienced folk. First, I'm only running this machine at 110V and am planning on using the welder mostly for small gauge (ie 22 g sheet metal, 1/4 to 3/8" metal rod) sculpture stuff, and was thinking of getting a 9 style torch. Does size matter that much? I can barely lay down a bead at this point but I figure a smaller torch might help me be less klutzy.

Second, does anyone know how to connect a different torch onto this welder? My LWS is mystified and they even called CK worldwide, and Arc Zone, who were also stumped. I've also checked out connectors that Lincoln Electric sells and Western Enterprise fittings sells, but these, too, are a bust. I'm sorry to say Longevity has not been able to provide me with any useful information about this, either.

A welder from Welding Web thought that this torch is a metric size, M16 x 1.5, and is apparently common to other Chinese welders. I found a Chinese company that sells power torches that from their picture look like they would fit. Am I on the right track with this? Has anyone else been able to use other aftermarket power cables and torch heads with this welder?

Gadget
03-20-2013, 05:57 AM
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. Be sure to post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you. I can't help you with your question but I'm sure someone here will answer it for you.
Dan

OneSpeed
03-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Hi Steve and welcome. I am waiting the arrival of a 200sx and had the same concerns about the torch. I do remember the conversation about adapter fittings in another post and look forward to someone with more information as I'd like to put a smaller water cooled unit on mine. Keep practicing and it will come to you sooner than later. I have many hours experience gas welding from years ago so tig for me was easy, except for the aluminum, but I'll get that down well in a short while I'm sure.

WookieWelding
03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
you are going to have to adapt that metric fitting to something useful unless you plan on getting another chinese torch for it

Steve123
03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Yes, not so easy to do, apparently. I'm waiting on a bid for a LWS rep to have a torch/power cable custom made for me. If you have a suggestion for how to adapt this fitting, please let me know.

LONGEVITY-Support
03-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Hello,
I've been teaching myself tig welding with the 200SX welder for the last couple of weeks. It seems well made and sturdy. However, the power cable and handle seem rather bulky; this welder comes with a 26 style torch. I showed my LWS the torch and they commented that it is unusually large, even compared to other 26 style torches.

I'd appreciate any advice from more experienced folk. First, I'm only running this machine at 110V and am planning on using the welder mostly for small gauge (ie 22 g sheet metal, 1/4 to 3/8" metal rod) sculpture stuff, and was thinking of getting a 9 style torch. Does size matter that much? I can barely lay down a bead at this point but I figure a smaller torch might help me be less klutzy.

Second, does anyone know how to connect a different torch onto this welder? My LWS is mystified and they even called CK worldwide, and Arc Zone, who were also stumped. I've also checked out connectors that Lincoln Electric sells and Western Enterprise fittings sells, but these, too, are a bust. I'm sorry to say Longevity has not been able to provide me with any useful information about this, either.

A welder from Welding Web thought that this torch is a metric size, M16 x 1.5, and is apparently common to other Chinese welders. I found a Chinese company that sells power torches that from their picture look like they would fit. Am I on the right track with this? Has anyone else been able to use other aftermarket power cables and torch heads with this welder?

The Tig 200sx Torch is an M14 thread. We do have various torches around the warehouse and we would be more than happy to try and find something that will work for your application. If you woud like more information or want to ask us some questions please feel free to give us a call.

WookieWelding
03-21-2013, 01:11 AM
you could get the fitting for the machine then goto a barbed 5/8s rh thread gas fitting and then use a dinse adapter for power

OneSpeed
03-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Well I've been doing more searching because I'd like to have the option of a larger selection of torches, and here is a link to what I found in the past. See if it helps anyone. Tig 200 power cable adapters (http://forum.eastwood.com/showthread.php?8691-Tig-200-power-cable-adapters)

shotgunjoe
03-21-2013, 11:00 PM
While a smaller, lighter torch seems like a shortcut to better welding, I asure you it isn't. My LWS pays their guys commission... id suggest practice more, if you are doing lots of thin stuff, I like using a peddle pumping technique. If you aren't welding for profit, dont be affraid to slow way down. Nice thing about the peddle is the ability to control the puddle. I wear 2 gloves on my torch hand, and use my hand and or fingers to support the torch, this gives you MUCH finer torch control.

OneSpeed
03-22-2013, 02:39 PM
While a smaller, lighter torch seems like a shortcut to better welding, I asure you it isn't. My LWS pays their guys commission... id suggest practice more, if you are doing lots of thin stuff, I like using a peddle pumping technique. If you aren't welding for profit, dont be affraid to slow way down. Nice thing about the peddle is the ability to control the puddle. I wear 2 gloves on my torch hand, and use my hand and or fingers to support the torch, this gives you MUCH finer torch control.

Not that it's going to help with better welding, it's just nice to have the option to be able to change if needed. I just received my 200SX and will see what it looks like in a couple hours.

Thanks Longevity! :clap

Switchless
03-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Keep me up to date on your tig machine. I joined this forum because I'm just about ready to get one, too. I understand they fully factory test each machine before they leave, so I hope that means there are no initial problems with them.
Thanks,
Pete

WookieWelding
03-24-2013, 11:53 PM
different torches have different applications
if all I had was one torch i could not do allot of what i do .... Kinda hard to turn a standard torch into a pencil and get into places a standard torch cant
for small parts i like a small torch for heavy stuff i prefer a bigger torch

shotgunjoe
03-25-2013, 01:17 AM
different torches have different applications
if all I had was one torch i could not do allot of what i do .... Kinda hard to turn a standard torch into a pencil and get into places a standard torch cant
for small parts i like a small torch for heavy stuff i prefer a bigger torch

This I understand. The original poster didn't mention difficulty getting into tight places though. I have begun to find the limits of where my torch will go myself, but since I am not using it to make a living, its hard to justify a new torcvh just yet.

The fact that its NOT a standard torch, as I had previously thought does concern me though, so a solution to this would be helpful for the future.

OneSpeed
03-25-2013, 08:00 AM
I had some time to use the 200SX Saturday and it's a nice machine. Even had me doing some better aluminum welding, though that's going to take a bit more time and fine tuning. I plan to get a 14 metric nut and see how well it fits the threads so I can move on with some kind of conversion unit for adapting other torches. The one sent with the unit is, as someone mention in another post, a two piece unit allowing the upper portion to swivel slightly. Though I haven't tried walking the cup yet I could see where it may pose a problem. Other than that I'm fine with it for now, though it did get a bit warm after about 10 min. of use on 1/8" steel. The unit never overheated though I didn't press the limits of it to see if it would.

Concerning the foot control unit I found the dial settings to be incorrect compared to the machine's digital readout. I tried what was suggested in another post where you depress it all the way to get a reading on the machine for adjustment and it worked that way on the machine I have. The difference in readings on this machine (and I tried it twice to be sure) I'll list as pedal/machine for anyone who want's to compare with what they get. Here is what I found: 10/10, 30/67, 50/81, 80/100, 110/128, 200/196. As you can see, some of the settings are way off, and I would like to see if there is any consistency among other 200SX machines out there.

I did choose to bypass the gauge sent with the unit and purchased a flow meter to use. Other than that it's a Really nice unit. Now all I need is a bunch more room and some time to try my hand at building one of the plasma CNC units like some of the guys on the forum have done.

compression
04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
The Tig 200sx Torch is an M14 thread. We do have various torches around the warehouse and we would be more than happy to try and find something that will work for your application. If you woud like more information or want to ask us some questions please feel free to give us a call.

The torch itself takes an m14? what about the fitting on the machine, it is an m16 correct?

TwistedSteel
04-02-2013, 11:42 PM
So all you would need is an m16 female end by 1/8th female brass fitting to connect a ck torch right? I have mine jimmy rigged just to try it and I can get a purge through my ck torch, but no continuity cause my argon hose doesn't carry current. After using it a bit more, I really can't stand the torch. Everything seems too stiff and bulky. I ran a jump just to make a weld with my ck. Man what a difference it makes.

I am going going to a plumbing warehouse tomorrow to find a fitting to work. I will post what I find, but please let us know if there is a part or known work around.

WookieWelding
04-03-2013, 02:23 AM
The ck takes a 5/8 18 rh thread for the one piece atleast
It would not be hard to just get a argon fitting and solder or braze to the metric whatever and be up N running

WookieWelding
04-03-2013, 02:25 AM
So all you would need is an m16 female end by 1/8th female brass fitting to connect a ck torch right? I have mine jimmy rigged just to try it and I can get a purge through my ck torch, but no continuity cause my argon hose doesn't carry current. After using it a bit more, I really can't stand the torch. Everything seems too stiff and bulky. I ran a jump just to make a weld with my ck. Man what a difference it makes.

I am going going to a plumbing warehouse tomorrow to find a fitting to work. I will post what I find, but please let us know if there is a part or known work around. btw most plumbing places don't carry What you need

OneSpeed
04-04-2013, 02:07 PM

I am going going to a plumbing warehouse tomorrow to find a fitting to work. I will post what I find, but please let us know if there is a part or known work around.

I saw a mention about the stick dinse fitting being connected only by a bar between it and the gas/power connector for the tig. I looked up through the vent slots with a flashlight and found that to be correct. Seems one could adapt a 9mm (small) dinse connector to the torch and power it from there. Would be nice to have Longivity give some of us the OK to change out the small dinse to a more standard one and connect the power terminal to it, leaving the gas connector without power and for just argon flow.

What say you Longevity? Any 'work with us' on this one?

TwistedSteel
04-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Well to connect my tig torch to a miller machine there is a block that the torch would connect to that converts it so it can connect to the negative terminal of the machine, and it also has an inlet to run to the machines purge port. I was able to connect from the machine to the purge adapter and get a purge through my ck torch. I only needed to use a 3/8 female by female union. Now this is NOT the correct connection for the machine, but it does work and no gas leaked by. However it did not have current continuity, so I have to make a jumper to be able to run a weld. Yes I know it is ghetto and that is why I would like to find or make the fitting that would allow the purge and current to flow through and be 2000% safer. This was all done without opening the machine up. I will put up a few pictures of what I am talking about later, but I am unable to post from my phone for some reason. The forums seem unable to load on my phone since they swapped over to the new servers.

TwistedSteel
04-04-2013, 09:20 PM
I saw a mention about the stick dinse fitting being connected only by a bar between it and the gas/power connector for the tig. I looked up through the vent slots with a flashlight and found that to be correct. Seems one could adapt a 9mm (small) dinse connector to the torch and power it from there. Would be nice to have Longivity give some of us the OK to change out the small dinse to a more standard one and connect the power terminal to it, leaving the gas connector without power and for just argon flow.

Oh ok, so you are saying that the dinse connector is powered while in tig mode as well? if this is the case then this should be easier than I thought. I was trying to get from the tig connections m16x1.5 to a 3/8" flare fitting to connect my hose to.

compression
04-05-2013, 10:32 AM
All we would need is a brass fitting m16x 1.5 - 3/8-24 or thr 5/8. Both female with that flare.

Wonder why somebody just couldnt produce some i could see a decent oppotunity for profit.. hell even longevity could produce and sell them

Steve123
04-11-2013, 09:24 PM
This is a followup. I ordered a 12 ft power cable from Plasma consumable , TIG consumable , MIG consumable , welding helmet , welding macine (http://www.riverweldstore.com), a Chinese welding supplier. The model is "Power Cable Hose For WP17 TIG Welding torch 11-1/2 Foot 3.7M 3/8-24 & M16*1.5
item#: JW1101". It arrived in 10 days and fits the 200SX fine.
The other end fits a standard CK torch head-the power cable is advertised for a 17 style torch but I put on a 9 series. It is so much smaller, lighter, and much easier to manipulate. The HF feature with the foot pedal works perfectly. The cost was a total of $70 for both the cable and torch head.
For those who have a 200SX and want a smaller torch, this is the solution!

OneSpeed
04-12-2013, 04:29 PM
This is a followup. I ordered a 12 ft power cable from Plasma consumable , TIG consumable , MIG consumable , welding helmet , welding macine (http://www.riverweldstore.com), a Chinese welding supplier. The model is "Power Cable Hose For WP17 TIG Welding torch 11-1/2 Foot 3.7M 3/8-24 & M16*1.5
The other end fits a standard CK torch head-the power cable is advertised for a 17 style torch but I put on a 9 series. It is so much smaller, lighter, and much easier to manipulate. The HF feature with the foot pedal works perfectly. The cost was a total of $70 for both the cable and torch head.
For those who have a 200SX and want a smaller torch, this is the solution!

I've been looking at their stuff. Also did a search from the main Ebay page for 'cable joint change' and several options came up using a dinse fitting which had the argon hose already attached. If it's the same size as the 9.5mm on the 200SX it could be used from the stick dinse outlet as there is only a bar connecting them together on the inside of the unit.

What was the import duty was on those?

WookieWelding
04-12-2013, 06:35 PM

onespeed i covered everything you would need in the other thread

WookieWelding
04-12-2013, 06:37 PM
I've been looking at their stuff. Also did a search from the main Ebay page for 'cable joint change' and several options came up using a dinse fitting which had the argon hose already attached. If it's the same size as the 9.5mm on the 200SX it could be used from the stick dinse outlet as there is only a bar connecting them together on the inside of the unit.

What was the import duty was on those?
there is no import duty on stuff from riverweld

WookieWelding
04-12-2013, 06:38 PM
For those who have a 200SX and want a smaller torch, this is the solution! that still leaves you with a power cable that you can not go down to the LWS and get a replacement you would be waiting 2 weeks for it to ship on a boat from china
But is an option