PDA
View Full Version :

argon regulator

ole welder
03-03-2013, 09:51 AM
hey guys. got my 200sx in and set it up for trial on some aluminum. welded quite well out of the box. only problem was with the regulator. after initial setting of 17-18cfh and approx 10 min welding, the flow rate crept up to 25cfh. i made sure the regulator was backed out before turning my bottle on initially and setting the flow rate. i'm wasting some argon. anyone else had this or am i missing something?

ole welder

Cope
03-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Not normal. Contact Longevity.

WookieWelding
03-03-2013, 05:07 PM
sounds like you have a defective flow meter

undercut
03-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Definitely get another one.

Gamble
03-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Yep contact longevity about it.
I have a few regulators, but the one I use the most is this one
HTP Argon CO2 MIG TIG Flow Meter Regulator Welding Weld | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTP-Argon-CO2-Mig-Tig-Flow-meter-Regulator-Welding-Weld-/140514184508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b74c4d3c)
We also have them at school and they work great. It might be a cheaper option than paying to ship it back and waiting.

tigqk
03-04-2013, 01:44 AM
You could try taking the sticker off the centre and turning pressure down abit in the thought that if it is at the diaphram maybe it is sticking, and go back to your flow knob and turn it all the way in and out a few times, new regulator perhaps an o-ring is not seated well and allowing leakage.Flow is set by pressure matching orfice diameter, I turned mine down abit because their is always a burst of pressurized argon at startup and pressure is set high to force gas through any kink in lines a little high in my veiw.Sorry not much you can do but send it back.

WookieWelding
03-04-2013, 02:25 AM
HTP Argon CO2 MIG TIG Flow Meter Regulator Welding Weld | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTP-Argon-CO2-Mig-Tig-Flow-meter-Regulator-Welding-Weld-/140514184508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b74c4d3c)
We also have them at school and they work great. It might be a cheaper option than paying to ship it back and waiting.
that htp is cheap and actually quality flowmeter for its price point

WookieWelding
03-04-2013, 02:32 AM
You could try taking the sticker off the centre and turning pressure down abit in the thought that if it is at the diaphram maybe it is sticking, and go back to your flow knob and turn it all the way in and out a few times, new regulator perhaps an o-ring is not seated well and allowing leakage.Flow is set by pressure matching orfice diameter, I turned mine down abit because their is always a burst of pressurized argon at startup and pressure is set high to force gas through any kink in lines a little high in my veiw.Sorry not much you can do but send it back.
congratulations you have officially de-calibrated your flow meter
a flow meter is set at a certain PSI and the flowmeter works ONLY with that specified PSI for the scale to even be accurate

ole welder
03-04-2013, 06:50 AM
thanks for all the posts guys. emailed longevity this morning. might get another flowmeter from lws if i'll be without for a while....thanks again

ole welder

undercut
03-04-2013, 09:07 PM

I think that is exactly the same one I have on order. I've heard it is a pretty good regulator too.

Cope
03-05-2013, 04:49 AM
I think that is exactly the same one I have on order. I've heard it is a pretty good regulator too.
I have one also. It is a great deal, but you need to open the valve very very slowly, because on this flow metter the low side (gauge) is not protected when the knob is closed, and the ball gets a hefty burst of Argon.

tigqk
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
I should have advised to never change a regulator setting without first marking the position, Longevity uses locktite; one of the great things about having your own rig is your free do try whatever you want.Their is exceptional article about flow characteristics at netwelding.com. that might be worthy of a post down the line.

undercut
03-06-2013, 12:12 AM
I have one also. It is a great deal, but you need to open the valve very very slowly, because on this flow metter the low side (gauge) is not protected when the knob is closed, and the ball gets a hefty burst of Argon.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to keep that in mind!

ole welder
03-15-2013, 07:33 AM
i emailed longevity when i posted my last reply. haven't heard from them. what's up guys?

ole welder

Rebeccam
03-15-2013, 12:48 PM
i emailed longevity when i posted my last reply. haven't heard from them. what's up guys?

ole welder

Hello ole welder,
Sorry for the late reply, your new Argon Regulator is on its way!
If you have anymore questions give us a call and we will gladly help you out

ole welder
03-18-2013, 05:26 AM
thanks Rebeccam. Got a call from CS Friday and we discussed flowmeter. Thanks for the help!

ole welder

Rebeccam
03-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Your very welcome!

Logosweld
05-07-2014, 10:07 AM
BASE ENTRY REGULATOR SUITABLE FOR VERTICAL GAS VALVE OUTLETS - BOC

Suitable for MIG & TIG applications, this gas regulator will fit all types and sizes of UK Argon and Argon/CO2 Mix gas cylinders (excluding Air Products "Integra" cylinders which already have a regulator built in to the cylinder valve).

Solid brass construction with twin gauges, one showing the pressure inside the cylinder, and the second showing output pressure calibrated in LPM (Litres Per Minute) for an accurate flow setting.

300 Bar rated for service at increased gas cylinder pressures, so fully compliant with the latest gas cylinder regulations; the gas hose outlet is standard 3/8 inch BSP right hand thread.