PDA
View Full Version :

Material Hold Down?

urbnsr
01-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Hey there,

I don't think I have seen this addressed, but wondered what setups (if any) are being used to hold down the metal to be cut? I can imagine not much is needed for thicker material, but what about thin sheet metal - Especially when using an air scribe.

Thanks in advance for any input and ideas.

Paul

acourtjester
01-25-2013, 09:10 AM
I have not cut thin metal yet but if you are using a cutting grill why not use small clamps at each corner from the bottom of the gill to the top of the metal??
Just remember not to run into them when moving around. I would imagine a scribe make a lot of vibrations and could move the metal.

urbnsr
01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks Acourtjester,

I am finishing up a water table with slats so I wasn't sure how to handle that yet. Of the youtube videos I have watched, I can't remember seeing any kind of hold down other than a sledge hammer head sitting on the metal as a paper weight. Thanks for the reply.

acourtjester
01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
If you go here you can see how I made my grate for the water table.
http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/cnc-machines-submerged-arc-automated-systems-other-cutting-methods/3417-diy-plasma-router-table-9.html
The slats are 1-1/2" tall so I could get a clamp under them to hold metal down the slats are on 2" angle.

urbnsr
01-25-2013, 10:14 PM
OK - My slats are also 1-1/2". I have one inch space under the slats. Thanks - I will give it a try when the weather decides to go my way.

shocwav3
02-03-2013, 05:17 PM
For thin metal I have some 1.5in angle iron cut to length for my table and I pop some clamps on the angle just above of below where Im cutting. It keeps the sheet nice and tight to my slats. I also have some beefy paper weights I move around the sheet.

urbnsr
02-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Another great idea, shocwav3! Thanks...

undercut
02-04-2013, 12:01 AM
For thin metal I have some 1.5in angle iron cut to length for my table and I pop some clamps on the angle just above of below where Im cutting. It keeps the sheet nice and tight to my slats. I also have some beefy paper weights I move around the sheet.

Great idea! Thanks for the tip.

shocwav3
02-04-2013, 04:06 PM
You have to get creative with no THC!