PDA
View Full Version :

Just ordered a 200i

BucketObolts
01-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks for answering all my questions Daniel and making this such a great deal! :cheers
I hope this can ship today! :bounce
Looking forward to getting some projects done with it!

Cope
01-24-2013, 01:44 PM
I was looking at that the other day. Should be a sweet set up.

BucketObolts
01-24-2013, 02:14 PM
I was looking at that the other day. Should be a sweet set up.
It was either the 200i or the 200sx. The sx is on back order for a few weeks and I want to get cracking on some projects. I'm so tired of cleaning off the flux and spatter. Looking forward to some clean welds.

Cope
01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
It was either the 200i or the 200sx. The sx is on back order for a few weeks and I want to get cracking on some projects. I'm so tired of cleaning off the flux and spatter. Looking forward to some clean welds.

Since I already have the 160SX, I decided to wait for the 200SX.

BucketObolts
01-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Since I already have the 160SX, I decided to wait for the 200SX.

Both of those look real good. They have the 160 in stock, but I wanted a 200 amp unit even thou I plan on using just the 110v. But if I upgrade later to 220V I can get the full 200 amps. I didn't want to get something now and later wish I could get more amps.
I hope I don't regret getting a DC only machine. In all my years welding I have not touched any Aluminum other than welding class, so I think I will be OK.

Cope
01-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Both of those look real good. They have the 160 in stock, but I wanted a 200 amp unit even thou I plan on using just the 110v. But if I upgrade later to 220V I can get the full 200 amps. I didn't want to get something now and later wish I could get more amps.
I hope I don't regret getting a DC only machine. In all my years welding I have not touched any Aluminum other than welding class, so I think I will be OK.

You'll be fine. For some reason, I have existed since 1970 using an AC arc welder when the consensus is you can't weld without DC.

Cope
01-27-2013, 06:47 AM
I'm with you, Brucer, on the combo units with plasma. I'm thinking about getting a DC mig/tig/stick welder to get my feet wet with mig but I'll get a separate box for the plasma cutter.

BTW - Good idea on selling the free helmet.

Since you already have Tig, why not just a mig/stick?

undercut
01-28-2013, 01:12 AM
Since you already have Tig, why not just a mig/stick?

The mig/tig/stick unit I'm looking at has some features that I really like. For a few bucks more I get a unit that can do everything except AC and has memory functions for keeping my settings.

BucketObolts
01-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks Daniel and crew at Longevity for getting me fixed up.
In my haste to get things rolling, I had the leads backwards. Torch on + and ground on -. Which does nothing but destroy tungsten! After talking with the folks at Longevity they helped troubleshoot my error and I was able to lay some beads.
So far I only have a few minutes on the machine. I love how simple it is. Not much to mess with.
I am able to lay some beads on some 3/16 CR. and so far it works great! I just need some more hood time to get my beads looking a bit better.

BucketObolts
01-29-2013, 04:42 PM
I had a chance to play a little today. I did some beads and tried welding a few scrap pieces.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/FourbangerYJ/metal%20art/2knife005_zps12e8bc05.jpg
This is some of the first TIG beads I have run in about 13 years. It's on some 3/16 CR. About 100 amps.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/FourbangerYJ/metal%20art/2knife003_zpsd0efe95e.jpg

This is a couple of 60D nails.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/FourbangerYJ/metal%20art/2knife002_zps469ccf86.jpg
A piece of chain and a busted wrench.

I have been using it on the HF start. For the most part it started a arc with each attempt. But there was a few times it took a number of tries to get the arc going.
This is the first time using 2T/4T hand controls. I did notice if you ease up on the trigger the amps would drop a bit sorta like letting up on the foot pedal. Kinda nice. I am a foot pedal guy and I am looking forward to it's arrival. I would like to see the arc stop faster after hitting the button to stop the weld. It seems like the arc stays on for a second or two after asking it to stop. Not sure if there is a adjustment or not for that.

WookieWelding
01-29-2013, 04:46 PM
not bad looking start
check to see if you have downslope on if it has that feature
well looking at the specs it does have downslope and adjustable from 1-10 secs
when i am using the Trigger to start and stop i normally leave the downslope to about a second

BucketObolts
01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
not bad looking start
check to see if you have downslope on if it has that feature
It does. I was going to play with that and see what happens. It's on about 5 now. Lower the number = less time for the arc to stop?

Thanks for the complements. :cheers

WookieWelding
01-29-2013, 04:51 PM
It does. I was going to play with that and see what happens. It's on about 5 now. Lower the number = less time for the arc to stop?

Thanks for the complements. :cheers
yup lower the number the less time for it to turn off completely
keeps you from getting a crater at the end of the weld by tapering off

BucketObolts
01-29-2013, 05:04 PM
yup lower the number the less time for it to turn off completely
keeps you from getting a crater at the end of the weld by tapering off

Cool! I'll play with it tomorrow. Thanks!

BucketObolts
01-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks Wookie! I turned down the downslope down and it shuts off way faster.

WookieWelding
01-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks Wookie! I turned down the downslope down and it shuts off way faster.
Sweet post up some more welds :)

BucketObolts
01-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Sweet post up some more welds :)

I started another project today. Just some real short welds. Nothing real noteworthy. I'll post some PICS when I'm done.
It's taking a bit of getting use to the torch. It's a bit bigger then the ones I used way back. Plus I'm getting use to the finger controls. They are pretty handy. I still miss using a pedal but for now I have no choice. I have a feeling by the time the pedal comes in, I'll only want to use the finger control.
Most my projects are short welds or just tack welds. I kind of miss running longer ones.
I need to find some more 1/8 material to run some T and lap welds. My 10 pounds of rod shipped to which is nice. Surprising how fast a 36 inch rod gets burned up.