PDA
View Full Version :

THC help please

sttan
12-14-2012, 02:32 AM
Hi, i am newbie in Plasma CNC. I have done some readings and understand most of the concept and techniques behind it. However, I am stuck with the THC control. Can you guide me through the wiring setup of THC to BOB as well as the software. Anyway, I have no plasma machine yet as well as THC. I am trying to understand all the concept before I start to fabricate my own table. Thanks.

Gadget
12-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. We like pictures here so be sure to include some showing your work. Also, keep an eye out for the next contest here. The odds of winning a great new Longevity machine are very good. Please post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you.
I have a CNC plasma machine but don't have THC on it and haven't used THC elsewhere either so I can't offer any help. I think we have a few members here that have used THC though and I'm sure they will try to help.
Dan

Nathan Stiltner
12-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Welcome to the forum sttan.

acourtjester
12-14-2012, 08:38 AM
HI Sttan
check here for info on THC
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3Bpchsnhac&gs_nf=3&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&gs_mss=thc%20plas&tok=_fChrZVrxKzUqNPZxyuYQw&cp=10&gs_id=t&xhr=t&q=thc+plasma&pf=p&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=thc+plasma&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355325884,d.b2U&fp=212e466bc5ad873c&bpcl=39967673&biw=1314&bih=694
If you google things it shown many posting from many locations.
From what I have read THC differs from one machine to another (plasma cutter) also what THC unit you use, and is handled by which software you use. You may check CNCZone for your software for wiring. You should be able to email the THC manufacture to find out if the plasma cutter you have will work with their THC and how to wire it up.

have fun
Tom

shocwav3
12-14-2012, 10:26 AM
An over simplified view-
The wiring is usually handled right at the torch ( or via cnc port which measures the torch) to measure voltage. Voltage is dialed in different ways depending on the set up but the end result should yield a z axis that is constantly adjusting in real time to maintain the proper arc gap as measured by the voltage. Ex. If 1/8 gap yields 100 volts than the z axis will adjust throughout the cut to maintain it, creating a cleaner cut with tighter tolerances and longer consumable life.