PDA
View Full Version :

Talking about welding gloves

Kevin Caron
12-12-2012, 09:06 PM
http://youtu.be/Kxi9DnFadvQ

Something to wrap your hands around?!?!?

undercut
12-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Nice tips on gloves. I haven't been around the block long enough to have tried as many different gloves as you have so I appreciate hearing your opinion.

roberts56
12-13-2012, 02:16 AM
A very good video and tips on welding gloves choices. Now I know why my cowhide welding gloves hardens and get tough after countless use, I guess I'll start looking for goat skin gloves from now on. Nice also on those Tig gloves, hope you don't mind me asking Kevin, have you tried using on your gloves those "Tig finger" while doing Tig,
being sold by another welder ?

TIA

Kevin Caron
12-13-2012, 06:36 AM
I don't have a tight finger (yet). i just drag a finger and switch when that one gets hot.

True be told, this is not a high output high stress kind of job. If the darn thing is hot I go work on something else till it cools off.

Cope
12-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Kevin, what do you use for stick? I have tried all brands of traditional stick type gloves, but there is no tactile feel, and they are too thick and too stiff.

Kevin Caron
12-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Cope, I just use my MIG gloves for stick also.

I agree, no feel at all but at least my skin isn't burning!!

Cope
12-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Kevin, thanks for the reponse. Hor Stick I use glove similar to the blue pair with the long Gauntlet. I have been using Tiillman 42 and another model for MIG, although for years, I used a decent generic glove from Lowe's garden department.

WookieWelding
12-17-2012, 12:57 PM
BSX makes a good stick mig glove that is not to thick and comfortable and you can feel with them
BSX&#174 (http://www.revcoindustries.com/newbsx/premium-pigskincowhide-gloves-p-29.html?osCsid=a8bacd498d30807bbcbebf7d22d35d7d)
its what i use

Cope
12-18-2012, 04:51 AM
BSX makes a good stick mig glove that is not to thick and comfortable and you can feel with them
BSX (http://www.revcoindustries.com/newbsx/premium-pigskincowhide-gloves-p-29.html?osCsid=a8bacd498d30807bbcbebf7d22d35d7d)
its what i use

Thanks, those look nice.

SteveRWhite
12-18-2012, 07:05 AM
I've been learning TIG lately and so I'm putting in a lot of time on one piece of aluminum (laying beads) and the work piece gets HOT!

Regular work gloves didn't work at all because they are far too thin. MIG gloves don't work for TIG because they're too thick to handle the rod and torch. I tried a pair of special TIG gloves. They were a little better than work gloves, but they didn't protect my hand from the heat for very long.

So, I grabbed a pair of my wife's Ove' Gloves (for taking hot pans out of the oven - made of Nomex and Kevlar) and found I could TIG aluminum as long as I wanted without getting too hot. They look like they are made of the same thing as the "TIG Finger" from WeldingTipsandTracks dot com but they are a complete glove. They worked so well, I just kept 'em and bought her a new pair for $28.

They often come as just one glove so you don't have to buy two if you find that only one hand is getting really hot. I ended up eventually wearing a TIG glove on the torch hand and an Ove' Glove on the rod hand most of the time.

Kevin Caron
12-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Thanks Wes,,

I will give them a try...

LONGEVITY
12-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks Wes,,

I will give them a try...

We got some nice gloves coming and forum members will get them for free just pay shipping for a limited time!

poodle
12-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Sounds like a bargain to me. I need some new welding gloves. My old leather ones are as stiff as can be.

Nathan Stiltner
12-18-2012, 02:42 PM
We got some nice gloves coming and forum members will get them for free just pay shipping for a limited time!

Thats cool Simon.. Thanks a lot...:2thumbs

Kevin Caron
12-18-2012, 06:03 PM
yes please!!!

Gadget
12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm due for a new pair myself, thanks Simon.

WookieWelding
12-18-2012, 08:45 PM
I've been learning TIG lately and so I'm putting in a lot of time on one piece of aluminum (laying beads) and the work piece gets HOT!

Regular work gloves didn't work at all because they are far too thin. MIG gloves don't work for TIG because they're too thick to handle the rod and torch. I tried a pair of special TIG gloves. They were a little better than work gloves, but they didn't protect my hand from the heat for very long.

So, I grabbed a pair of my wife's Ove' Gloves (for taking hot pans out of the oven - made of Nomex and Kevlar) and found I could TIG aluminum as long as I wanted without getting too hot. They look like they are made of the same thing as the "TIG Finger" from WeldingTipsandTracks dot com but they are a complete glove. They worked so well, I just kept 'em and bought her a new pair for $28.

They often come as just one glove so you don't have to buy two if you find that only one hand is getting really hot. I ended up eventually wearing a TIG glove on the torch hand and an Ove' Glove on the rod hand most of the time.
i use the same glove i posted on my torch hand for higher amp tig and a just a thin cloth on my filler hand

undercut
12-19-2012, 01:19 AM

I was wondering about those Ove gloves. Not necessarily for myself but for people who might be working on thick aluminum where the heat would be streaming off of the thing. Nice to hear of someone who has actually tried it! :D

gilly
12-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Put me down for a pair Simon, i would like to try them out. I am always looking for a decent pair of gloves and appreciate the offer.

Cope
12-19-2012, 10:21 AM

Thanks, count me in.

overdone never finished
12-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Simon,
if you have size 2X Large Put me down for 2 pairs, and the 2nd pair I will purchase
I am always on the look out for gloves
and also appreciate the offer.
you know PH#s where to get a hold of me for payment

Kevin Caron
12-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Damn dude!! I thought I had big paws.......

overdone never finished
12-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Kevin,
my wedding band is size 23
if that gives you any idea
and it's TITE

Nathan Stiltner
12-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Dang Tom. Lol

Kevin Caron
12-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Ok, I got to ask for photos here.

My wedding band is a 14 and my wife can slip her ring inside of mine.

A 23 ring finger?!?!?

Nathan Stiltner
12-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Haha. That's what I was thinking too Kevin. My wedding band is a 12.5 and I wear xl or xxl gloves. I think he's just messing with us. Lol

overdone never finished
12-20-2012, 04:03 AM
Kevin and Nat.
here are 3 photos
a quarter will pass threw it
everbody jibs me about it being a napkin ring holder
most guy that do question it, there rings pass threw it
I seen one bigger, one of my Clients is 6'-6" 310lbs no fat his W-Band is size 26
way back when we purchased the rings cost me an extra $150 do to size and speacial order

overdone never finished
12-20-2012, 04:34 AM
for referance

kevin size 14 Inside diameter
ID inches 0.906 ID millimeters 23
Nat. size 12.5
ID inches 0.858 ID millimeters 21.8
mine 23
ID inches 1.194 ID millimeters 30.3

overdone never finished
12-20-2012, 05:04 AM
ok those sizes have to be incorrect
the website I went to for the information must be wrong
Large Size Ring Chart (http://www.celtarts.com/large.htm)
anyway, I think a quarter is around .9 ? not shure

Kevin Caron
12-20-2012, 06:43 AM
OK, I am impressed!!!!

Please tell us you are not a proctologist !?!?!?

Nathan Stiltner
12-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Oh my god Kevin. I was typing that out as my phone went off with your comment just now. Lol I was gonna say good thing for us guys he choose welding instead of a proctologist LMAO. HAHA.

Kevin Caron
12-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Like minds Nate,,,,

Stay warm back there....

Nathan Stiltner
12-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Yeah it's getting pretty cold here. Unlike Phoenix I'm sure. Lol

undercut
12-21-2012, 12:27 AM
OK, I am impressed!!!!

Please tell us you are not a proctologist !?!?!?

LOL.

OK, this would explain how he is able to get his welding helmets down from above the doorway to his welding shack ... big tall guy!

klmyhre
01-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the info about the different kinds of gloves. I've only ever used the big gauntlet type gloves and yeah next to impossible to feel anything

Logosweld
05-19-2014, 09:16 AM
welding gloves plays an important role in preventing the hands while welding process and it should be mandatory for all because here it is a situation of prevention that's why it should be applicable for all welders