PDA
View Full Version :

Garage heater

KHK
01-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Aftre 30 years I have decided to put a heater in my garage. I hate these quick decisions. The perminiter of the garage is complety taken up with work benches and equipment. It is a 3 car garage with 3 cars and zero floor space, so a celing mounted heater is a must. Natural gas is 40 ft away and propane is not allowed in the village. The walls and celing are insulated and finished.

I have narowed it down to two heaters and looking to find out if any one has any experence with either heater.
1) Stearling GG60 60K btu
2) Hot dawg HD60 60K btu

Any help is welcome

keith

LONGEVITY
01-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Keith,

60gallon heaters?

Simon

KHK
01-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Simon,
GG60 is the model number, 60K btu means 60,000 British Thermal Units.
HD60 is the model number, 6oK btu means 60,000 British Thermal Units.

Mabie I should edit the post for clarity

keith

LONGEVITY
01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I didnt read it clearly. What about the size of the heater? My experience the bigger the better, but i know your space is limited.

Check out this article:

http://www.hometips.com/buying-guides/w ... acity.html (http://www.hometips.com/buying-guides/water-heater-size-capacity.html)

KHK
01-29-2009, 08:02 AM
keith said;
I have narowed it down to two heaters and looking to find out if any one has any experence with either heater.
1) Stearling GG60 60K btu
2) Hot dawg HD60 60K btu

I have found aouther heater it is;
Dornback DGH-75 75k btu and it is made in the USA
this heater is about $200 cheaper than either the Stearling or the hot dawg heaters and it is 15k bigger.
Buying this time of year, the price is low so I plan on buying this heater this week.

In Chicago we have a 30 in frost line, not good for digging in a gas line, and with a foot of snow on the garage roof it's not the time to go on the roof for venting.

It has become a summer project!!

keith

KHK
02-10-2009, 08:09 PM
It took all day, but the heater is partily installed. Next the gas line or naybe the flue.

keith

Gadget
02-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Looks good Keith, much better than my mobile home furnace and no floor space used.

Dan

MAC702
02-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Very nice! I've not seen a drop-ceiling in a garage! And it's CLEAN, too!

KHK
02-12-2009, 10:09 PM
The cealing tiles are treated and approved for outdoor use. It is a three car garage and the heater is in the far end of the garage. The area around the work bench is a much dirter.

keith

Jake323
03-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Ya gotta love not using any floor space

arandall
03-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Keith:

I have been trying since last Monday to reply to your question about ceiling heaters, but the forum won't let me post. I"ll try this as a test.

Art R.

arandall
03-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Keith:

OK - the last post worked - I'll try the original again

Yeah - floor space. I too decided to install a ceiling mount heater. My shop is roughly 20X56ft, with 10ft ceiling on one side, and13ft on the other, so has quite a bit of volume to heat. My gas fitters recommended a 45,000Btu unit, so that's what I had installed. They advised against oversizing a furnace, saying that they may have a tendency to "short cycle" if sized too big. Rather, they prefer the unit to be a little on the small size. Apparently this causes the unit to run longer per cycle. This supposedly provides more even heat, and is more efficient, because the unit doesn't have to heat up the heat exchanger, duct-work etc. as often as it would on shorter, more frequent cycles. Mine has been in place for two winters now, and has given me good service, and as you may know, our winters here in Saskatchewan area cold!

Another important benefit of ceiling mount is that it reduces the fire hazard issue, because the flame, ignition, electrics etc. are up high, out of the way of explosive fumes like gasoline etc. which tend to pool on the floor.

By the way - nice ceiling! - not many shops out there with suspended ceilings. - what about the checker-board floor?? For my ceiling, I used white powder coated metal roofing. I really like it for a number of reasons - it's fireproof, waterproof, and really reflects light well. I only wish I had done the walls with it also. - Not much fun to install 16ft. lengths overhead when working alone though!

Attached are two pics of the furnace.

I have a couple more things I have done to save floor-space, but this is getting a bit long-winded, so I'll save that for now.

Art R.

Gadget
03-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Looks nice and warm Art.

Dan

KHK
03-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I have also had problems posting. so this is a test

keith

Gadget
03-13-2009, 08:12 PM
I sent Simon an email and PM letting him know the forum is having problems. I think the hosting service needs to reboot the server or restart MYSQL service.
Dan

KHK
03-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Art R

My garage is 34x24 with a 8 ft cieling... I may have shot a fly with a canon!!! My heater is 75,000 btu My thought was that when I weld Inormaly have a door open. When you have no heat bigger sounds better.

No I do not have a checker-board floor, just plane old dirty concreat. Sence I installed the drop cieling I need much less light. The white cieling is great!!

What did you do for a gas line? I was thinking of burying plastic pipe. (gas approved)
How did you vent the heater? I an going to use b vent pipe through the foof.

This will be the 6 try to post this response. I have type it in notepad and will copy and past it to the forum.

keith

arandall
03-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Keith:

I’m sure your heater will be fine, When I first got going, I had gotten a really good deal on a 150,000BTU unit that I hoped to use. – that was too big – not a good deal.

As far as the gas line is concerned, when I had the shop built (20 years ago), I had black iron gas line installed, knowing I wanted heat. I also made sure they provided extra outlets for water heat, and outside gas barbecue.

Because the furnace is a high efficiency unit, the flue temp is really low, so all you need for venting is 2” poly pipe, for both intake and exhaust. In my case it runs horizontally, out to the top of the side wall. The marking on the pipe is “System 636 gas vent Type BH”. Another thing you need with this type of furnace though is a water condensate line to a drain, because this type of unit condenses water in the combustion process.

I have the same type venting for my water heater. Some day you should do yourself a favour, and get a water heater for your shop if you don't have one already. To save floor space again, mine is an on demand, instant, “tankless” unit. No tank – therefore it can be mounted high up on a wall. It’s really nice to have warm water to wash your hands in the shop. Also pretty nice to have warm water in the hose, for washing the car in winter – a long held dream of mine.

I’ll attach a picture of the heater for you.

KHK
09-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Please see attached pictures. The heater is almost complete. The only thing renaining it the thermostat, I an trying to determine is's location. I will probably have it in several locations before it becomes perminate.

KHK
09-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Boy this has been a long term project, started in Jan 2009 and finished Sept 2009.

JJW
09-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Cold weather is just around the corner.

I'd say perfect timing! :grin:

You made a nice install too.

No extra floor space? I thought you said; three car garage.:wink:

Enjoy the heat this winter,
John

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Keith,
For thermostat location.
I would probably have it hung right off the back of the unit.
Maybe screw a piece of tin, about a foot long, and just wide enough for the stat to mount.

Good Luck,
John

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Keith,
you could mount right on the right hand side of the unit even.
John

KHK
09-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes a three car garage with no floor space. Three cars, 10 ft work bench, welder, tool box, metal lathe, drill press, air compressor, storage shelves, etc.

jbman45
09-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Great timing! I spent 7 years in Chicago and boy, you'll need every bit of that heater with those winds that come off the lake. Great job and your garage looks great. I've an even larger one but no room for cars!! Better start getting organized like you I guess!