PDA
View Full Version :

Anybody used the Google Sketch Up Program??

Nathan Stiltner
11-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Just wondering if anyone currently uses Google Sketch Up for designing projects?? I have messed around with it a little
but not having much luck coming out with anything that would really help as far as measurements, angles or things of that nature..
I know you can, but haven't found a whole lot on youtube about doing things that us guys would do like drawing up plans for things
like welding tables, benches, carts, things like that.. If anyone can add to this that uses the program, it would be of help...

roberts56
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Well I've done a little of that sketch up but still getting confused with the program so I would ask assistance from my son if I can't get it right, but I guess it just need more practice and attention. Had my workbench sketch up came out the way I wanted and still 'am working on the fab of the welding table.

I suppose one has to just spend more time on the program, sure is very useful and fun to do. :2thumbs :bounce

Nathan Stiltner
11-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Cool.. Seems like the older we get the more our kids have to show us.. My son is turning 11 in Feb. And he has already schooled me on a lot....:doh2

roberts56
11-29-2012, 10:52 PM
HAHAHAHA, YEAH, they are the ones who can last being in front of the monitor all day long and getting all the possible infos therein. Us nearing the senior citizenship just wait for them to teach us, sigh, its sad that its getting to be the other way around already. Well my son is a licensed landscape architect and he does CAD too which I know nothing at all. Well I guess I won't be using that program, I'm more interested in the Sketch up program, a higher level since I usually do sketching of my designs on paper.

Computers, computers, computers, if you don't keep up, hmmmm, you'll gonna be left out. Times are changing fast, really.

Nathan Stiltner
11-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Sounds like you son has done well for himself.. I sometimes sigh when I look at my 10 year old and think of how times are right now and how fast things are changing
and how computer have well since took over.... Whats it going to be like when he is your sons age and has to deal with the world on his own... Food for thought I guess...

roberts56
11-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Hope you don't mind me sharing this to your thread but this is what we manage to produce using the Sketch Up program. :bounce
That's my welding and cutting table and is still in progress, slow progress I say, LOL

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g330/sygui/Welding%20Table-Sketchup/TableToplay-outbirdseyeview.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g330/sygui/Welding%20Table-Sketchup/WeldingTableSemi-TopView.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g330/sygui/Welding%20Table-Sketchup/FrontviewWeldingTable.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g330/sygui/Welding%20Table-Sketchup/WeldingTableUndersideViewFront.jpg

Maybe I'll make a separate thread here regarding its built and share the whole process. :2thumbs

Nathan Stiltner
11-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Thats exactly what im talking about.. I need to study up on using it... The 3 diminsional thing is what drew me to it.. Seeing it before you build it... Awesome table design and yes you should do a thread on your build....

Gadget
11-30-2012, 07:09 AM
Sketchup has plugins for involute gears. They also have an STL import/ export plugin. Between the two I can create the gears I need with my 3D printer. I haven't played with it for things like tables though.

Bluesman
11-30-2012, 07:37 AM
I've tried but have not had much luck getting it to do what I want. I know it will probably do it I just haven't figured out how to get it to. I guess it would help if I could find someone close by that uses it regularly that I could observe. Youtube is great, but sometimes you just can't beat seeing it in person.

Nathan Stiltner
11-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Thats what I meant as well.. Im a hands on person.. I can read something 10 times over. But until I get my hands on it, It just is not the same...

DrBrightLight
12-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Cool table concept! Nice drafting job.......
Are you thinking about putting a catch pan under the right side grate top?
The lower level with Diamond Plate and angle iron perimeter looks like a great place to collect dust and crud, and tough to keep clean. Thought about expanded metal for that area?
If it ever gets built, look forward to seeing the pictures!

DrBrightLight
12-05-2012, 12:48 AM
One thing to consider when using Sketch Up is think about what you are going to do a little before you start.
Some items are easier to draw when you start as a block or shape and add components on to that initial part.
Other objects are easier to draw if you start with a larger shape, then "carve out" what you don't need.
Really depends on the overall shape, and amount of complexity involved.

Masseyman
12-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I've been thinking about downloading it. I have just started messing around with a 2D quick draw program called "JDraft". I am building a steady rest for my new mini lathe and wanted to do a quick draw up of the idea in my head. JDraft is free and seems easy to use but it is only 2D. While I was looking for CAD programs, Google Sketchup (now known as Trimble Sketchup) was at the top of everyones list. After looking at Roberts56 Sketchup drawings, my intrest has peaked to go download it and give it a whirl.

Gadget
12-13-2012, 04:05 PM
If you find the free version to your liking you could upgrade and have more output options. Don't know how much it costs though.

roberts56
01-30-2013, 05:43 AM
Cool table concept! Nice drafting job.......
Are you thinking about putting a catch pan under the right side grate top?
The lower level with Diamond Plate and angle iron perimeter looks like a great place to collect dust and crud, and tough to keep clean. Thought about expanded metal for that area?
If it ever gets built, look forward to seeing the pictures!

So sorry for this very very late response DrBrightLight (Scott), sure did miss this one and been very busy these past couple of weeks and have not even been around lately.
Anyway, this is only the basic design, as I go along with the built I guess I will still be changing or revising the top. I may or may not incorporate the grill and do a separate one to make use of the full table top and instead of the grill, will have to replace it with another 1/2" thick table top. I was thinking I prefer the bottom shelf maybe to store some metal stocks or build some drawers for clamps and other welding accessories or possibly put my welders. The design idea is still very open and like I said it is not the final one until it is over and done. I have even purchased another piece of I-Beam to be welded on the two legs on each end, making some sort of a letter H to make it more sturdy and would probably add two C channels connecting the two end legs so they won't wobble. :2thumbs

Well for now that is how its gonna be.

exwldr
01-31-2013, 12:35 AM
nice weld table. very functional design, great job...

Sticks
02-06-2013, 03:29 AM
Sketch up has tutorial videos in the help section.

I have been using it for a few weeks now to draft up parts with dimensions to send to my fabricator at the shop. My only gripe is that you can not change the font size or color of the measurements. They get a little obscured when you print it out on paper after converting to Adobe.

This is a .jpeg from the export option.

65falcon
09-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Again...another late reply to this thread but others may read this as well...

I am no expert but I use Sketch-up a lot at work and home for all sorts of design projects. The free version is a really capable program and the Pro version builds on that with some pretty useful tools - like specifically exporting to .dxf and being able to create shop drawings with "Layout" etc.

The learning curve to draw quickly and accurately in Sketch-up is faster than it will seem at first. It can be pretty frustrating in the beginning but hang in there. Once you get the fundamentals of the "push-pull" technique down and understand what the tools in the main toolbar do you can get decent drawings in a short time.

I used it to sort out the table for my cnc project

I have used it to establish how electrical circuits and plumbing will work in 3d to ensure that they will actually work in real life - can't do this with 2d drawings properly.

And with some fooling around you can render fairly good images with little effort. This is a building I am working on currently - it was drawn and rendered in about 4 hours.

I will be doing all of the drawing for my CNC Plasma table work in Sketchup - then into Sheetcam.

PW