PDA
View Full Version :

Got my Tigweld 160SX today

Cope
11-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Originally was estimated for delivery on Thursday, but FedEx outdid them selves and got it to me today. I can tell you that Longevity doesn't package and ship their equipment like most of the Chicom equipment. Instead of a machine in a box that's too big, and wrapped in cheap thin Styrofoam, this machine was packed in Ethafoam in the right size box. All of the accessories were packed well also. The TIG torch is not like the one in the videos, it has an integrated trigger, and is a nice unit. The foot pedal is also well made.

I just had a few minutes to put everything together, and ran one DC stick bead just to see how it did. I will get back once I try the TIG function and run some more stick welds.

Gadget
11-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Glad you got it ok, have fun with it.

undercut
11-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Time to play! :D

Nathan Stiltner
12-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Havent heard any updates on the 160.. Everything going good with it? I was looking at the 200 myself.. Post back with some details on how it has done..

Cope
12-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Havent heard any updates on the 160.. Everything going good with it? I was looking at the 200 myself.. Post back with some details on how it has done..

I have a Miller Model 88 300 amp AC stick machine, and this 160 does better rod starts than the Miller. I am new to Tig, and have just made a few practice welds, but so far I like the machine. I changed the ground clamp for a Tweco 200 amp, and I have ordered some cable so I can make a longer stick lead. I will follow up once I have done something with it.

Nathan Stiltner
12-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Sounds good. I'm fairly new to tig welding too and dont know
If I should go with the simple sx or the dx with al the adjustments.

WookieWelding
12-01-2012, 11:28 AM
tigweld 250 and dont worry later

Nathan Stiltner
12-02-2012, 10:10 AM
tigweld 250 and dont worry later
Thats what im leaning toward.. Do you run a cooler with yours?

WookieWelding
12-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Thats what im leaning toward.. Do you run a cooler with yours?
yah i run a coolit II cooler which is pretty much a procon pump with a radiator and a 3 gallon tank
if you look at my review of it the pics show everything i use with it

Nathan Stiltner
12-02-2012, 10:41 AM
yah i run a coolit II cooler which is pretty much a procon pump with a radiator and a 3 gallon tank
if you look at my review of it the pics show everything i use with it
I will check that out.. Thanks..

Cope
12-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Nathan, it matters what you plan to do with it. I see you have a 180 amp MIGand a 225 amp stick already; Unless you plan to TIG heavy metal, the 160SX (or maybe the 200SX) would be all you need.

Kevin Caron
12-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Had the FedEx guy show up today with a 160sx and a ForceCut 42i!?!?!?

Have to get to the shop early tomorrow and open these puppies up!!

Will probable put my 250 ac/dc and the 60i plasma up for sale after I get to know these new ones..

More videos to shoot also....

Gadget
12-06-2012, 07:56 PM

Will probable put my 250 ac/dc and the 60i plasma up for sale after I get to know these new ones..

More videos to shoot also.... I thought welders for guys was like shoes for women Kevin, can never have too many. ;-)

Kevin Caron
12-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I got 7 of the darn things!! I am running out of space!

I think they get busy in the tool room after I turn the lights off..

When they start coming out black and blue with a red strip I know something is going on..

BucketObolts
12-06-2012, 08:02 PM

More videos to shoot also....

That is awesome Kevin. Why the 160SX VS. the 200SX?

undercut
12-06-2012, 08:51 PM
I got 7 of the darn things!! I am running out of space!

I think they get busy in the tool room after I turn the lights off..

When they start coming out black and blue with a red strip I know something is going on..

Oh, I know. Terrible problem running out of space and fretting about it constantly is definitely not good for your health. Being the generous person I am, send me a PM and I'll get you a shipping address where to send the excess machines. I hate seeing good people suffering so .... it's positively inhumane! :D

Kevin Caron
12-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Not sure, just what showed up in the mail...

Guess xmas is coming soon....

Simon wants me to check it out and do a video or several... This happens every now and again....

Kevin Caron
12-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Trying to make new shop space with all this machinery. Must be doing something wrong... I just keep making new machinery....

Cope
12-07-2012, 05:27 AM
Kevin, please post when you've reviewed the 160SX. I would like to hear your opinion on it.

Kevin Caron
12-07-2012, 07:45 AM
That I will,,,,

Nathan Stiltner
12-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Nathan, it matters what you plan to do with it. I see you have a 180 amp MIGand a 225 amp stick already; Unless you plan to TIG heavy metal, the 160SX (or maybe the 200SX) would be all you need.
I don't have any plans to tig anything over 1/4'' thick.. Got into tig welding to do thin stuff.. Aluminum is my main thing.. How does the clearance effect do on the aluminum?
Is that the same thing as AC Balance? Or something like it? Does it clean around the bead and cook away the trash?? I did like having control over Freq. on aluminum.. That's why im up in the air as to which one to buy.. Gonna buy one or the other.. Maybe Simon should send me one of each to try out and review... Might make him a faster sale that way!!! LOL That would be the day....

poodle
12-07-2012, 08:37 AM
I would go ahead and spend a little more and get the 200. I would rather have a little extra mach. rather than be pushing mine close to the max all the time.

Nathan Stiltner
12-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I would go ahead and spend a little more and get the 200. I would rather have a little extra mach. rather than be pushing mine close to the max all the time.
When I buy it will be a 200 at the least.. I do or did a lot of 3/16 and 1/4 inch stuff with my prior machine.. (when it worked right):bounce