PDA
View Full Version :

Quick introduction for a new member

shocwav3
11-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Just a quick intro-
I just recently finished a plasma table build for my 1 man shop. I went with a 50i for my plasma source and so far I am very happy with my purchase.

I decided I could build my table the way I wanted with the features I needed for much less than I could purchase it for. I have attached a few pics of the build and
some stuff I have made in the 2 weeks it has been operational. (Everybody loves pictures right!)

For the seasoned guys, some technical questions:

1. As for IPM, what are you guys running on various materials? I am currently running 125ipm on 16gauge, 75ipm on 11gauge and 40ipm on 3/16 (still playing with all of those numbers)
2. What kerf width are you guys using? Im using .060, but I have found no definitive answer from longevity.
3. Whats the thickest parts you are cutting on your tables? And with what models machines?

Hope I can contribute something back to the community in the future!

Anthony

undercut
11-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey Anthony. One man shop meaning just you, right? Nice project! :D

Gadget
11-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Hi Antony and welcome to the forum. Also, you should consider entering the latest contest here. The odds of winning a great new Longevity machine are very good.
You've done a good job on the CNC welding table. I use .043 kerf settings for my table and that seems to be pretty close. I normally cut thicker stock so I can't say for sure whether your IPM settings are correct but they sound about right. Part of the equation is also amperage and air pressure which will affect the IPM you can achieve. My current CNC can only achieve 90IPM max. I'm in the process of building a second generation unit. It will do plasma, routing, light milling, hot wire foam, and 3D printing.
Dan

shocwav3
11-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Undercut,

You got it, Just me! :envy

Dan,

Thanks for the input and the welcome. Right now I have mach set to 200ipm as a max (during operation 200 is SKETCHY), anything more and I start missing steps. I designed some bolt on reduction units I plan to utilize when I get some time to fab them up. Should provide me with some higher speeds.

undercut
11-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Nice work for a one man show! Welcome to the forum. :D

roberts56
11-26-2012, 07:12 AM
@ shocwav3,

Hello Anthony, welcome to the forum man, lots of information to be learned here and what do you mean contributing something back to the community in the future ?, LOL
The pics you have posted are already contributions, its already giving us information on what you are working on, very nice project there friend, just keep 'em coming !!!

shocwav3
11-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Roberts56

Thanks for the warm welcome!